You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging bracketed shots - HDR?

Hi,

I have a series of landscape bracketed shots that include the moon, the bracket consists of 9 shots going + / - 4 EV at the extremes. I'm trying to create a HDR merge that included the details in the moon that is captured in the lower exposure shots, but when I use the HDR feature the moon is blown out / overexposed and there is no detail retention even if I turn say highlights down. I then tried turning the de-ghosting feature off so that when merging I could blend in the moon from a low exposure shot, but when viewing even the low exposure shot by looking at the "sources" Affinity has dramatically increased the exposure of the low exposure shots so the moon is again blown out and not showing any details?

How do I merge these photo's and retain the moon details I'm looking for? Is HDR the wrong feature?

Attached is an example of 6 shots (in jpeg format to keep file sizes down), the other three shots in the series won't upload, error 200?

A6505115_DxO.jpg

A6505116_DxO.jpg

A6505117_DxO.jpg

A6505119_DxO.jpg

A6505121_DxO.jpg

A6505118_DxO.jpg

I think you could try using HDR to merge the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th of those. Or to merge the 2nd and 6th. But I don't think you could merge all 6 as they're not similar enough.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried the HDR process in Affinity and also in Photomatix. In Affinity I opted for the Detailed tonemap and in Photomatix, for the Natural map.

5a75ed296c785_MoonPhotomatixNatural.jpg.2073f4293b9add7edcb2f69d8d64f1a6.jpg

Photomatix (above) seems to have produced a reasonable map.

5a75ed32d9988_MoonAffinityDetailed.jpg.b4ed96e36a0e6441217b35a60957014b.jpg

In Affinity, there is a blue cast, and the moon has one distinct ghost, but looks OK otherwise.

I looked at the images in succession, and the moon does seem to move between shots. If you are setting your exposures manually, you will not be able to avoid this. Could I suggest that you go back to your original images, and move  the moon  so that they are as precisely aligned as possible. You will not have to move it much, and you have some rather ill-defined sky in between  which helps. With this kind of shot, with fixed parts to the image and parts which are non-fixed, but are moving, you will always have this problem. There was a recent post of someone trying to merge images of the stars (rotating) against a fixed horizon.

Hope this helps,

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I thought the Affinity version looked awful so I had a go myself, didn't use tone map, and aligned via rotate etc not perspective and the alignment worked better.

5a764c0cca42a_HDRMerged.jpg.42eee699aeb042747e0d639e1ff90e02.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ok I found using less images and selecting which ones to use is improving things, here's where I'm at (this site is only taking low res versions of pictures reliably?).

Displaying the details of the moon is really what I'm trying to accomplish.

Another other tricks / ideas are welcome.

A6505114_DxO_HDR_DxO.jpg

Had another but this time in Photomatrix.

A6505115_DxO.thumb.jpg.690a03a45d79cd29ce905e887f268f4d.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions