You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editable 3D text in Designer

designandprod

Hi everyone :),

I just purchased AD and it is very fun to use !

I tried to make some 3D text in Designer and ended by making theme editable like I was used to do in After Effects.

Indeed, this could be usefull when you have to modify the 3D text.

You can have a look at it in the video attached or here in my twitter post: 

https://twitter.com/themohclassic/status/958769682009468928

vlcsnap-2018-02-03-12h38m50s130.thumb.png.bb20dc7c5e660af0e107c8374b1701ea.png

vlcsnap-2018-02-03-12h49m07s200.thumb.png.e44b34400e1b60f3ac2a5c7ce8fb6413.png

I am a software engineer, I really hope we will have soon some ways to develop plugins or scripts for AP or AD ! 

Have fun.

Moh Classic

3D-EDITABLE-TEXT.mov

EDIT: here is the tutorial ! 

• 6 months later...
On 2/3/2018 at 6:50 AM, designandprod said:

Hi everyone :),

I just purchased AD and it is very fun to use !

I tried to make some 3D text in Designer and ended by making theme editable like I was used to do in After Effects.

Indeed, this could be usefull when you have to modify the 3D text.

You can have a look at it in the video attached or here in my twitter post: 

https://twitter.com/themohclassic/status/958769682009468928

vlcsnap-2018-02-03-12h38m50s130.thumb.png.bb20dc7c5e660af0e107c8374b1701ea.png

vlcsnap-2018-02-03-12h49m07s200.thumb.png.e44b34400e1b60f3ac2a5c7ce8fb6413.png

I am a software engineer, I really hope we will have soon some ways to develop plugins or scripts for AP or AD ! 

Have fun.

Moh Classic

3D-EDITABLE-TEXT.mov

I just read on this guy's Twitter account that he is ditching Affinity Designer... thus no tutorial. 

Can anyone show us how he did this?

My guess is that it is a whole stack of symbols. Top-most has Colour and 3D effect desynced from the rest.

Here is a tutorial (by @WaveF) that uses the same technique…

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

44 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

My guess is that it is a whole stack of symbols. Top-most has Colour and 3D effect desynced from the rest.

Here is a tutorial (by @WaveF) that uses the same technique…

It seems simpler to me than this. Something with the Fx settings.

I can get close, and with a bit more time I could probably get it to look the same.

1905407261_ScreenShot2018-09-02at16_16_11.png.f06fc12251eb2ff7038532668c8c78db.png

61240174_3DText.gif.bb36a25cabab74118a48393012a8bdc1.gif

File: 3D Text.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 9/2/2018 at 11:17 AM, firstdefence said:

I can get close, and with a bit more time I could probably get it to look the same.

1905407261_ScreenShot2018-09-02at16_16_11.png.f06fc12251eb2ff7038532668c8c78db.png

61240174_3DText.gif.bb36a25cabab74118a48393012a8bdc1.gif

File: 3D Text.afdesign

I posted here that I would be able to send $20.00 via PayPal to show me how to do @designandprod did above.

Can I take you up on your offer to put more time into it? And can you send me your PayPal address for payment?

7 minutes ago, Markus Allen said:

I posted here that I would be able to send $20.00 via PayPal to show me how to do @designandprod did above.

Can I take you up on your offer to put more time into it? And can you send me your PayPal address for payment?

Hmmm.

I just downloaded your file. It looks like you are using the stack of symbols to create this. The problem is it is not smooth. Plus, making adjustments throws everything off (for example resizing).

I am pretty sure @designandprod used the fx options to created 3D lettering.

Is there a way to use the fx menu to recreate this?

No, I don’t believe that you can recreate this with layer effects. But firstdefence was certainly on the right track. It is just a matter of how many symbols you use, depending on the intended resolution of your design. So this would be a way to recreate the effect:

1. Use the Artistic Text Tool to create your text
  2. Select the text frame and make it a symbol
  3. Select the Move Tool, hold down Option (Alt), click the symbol and displace it a little to the bottom right
  4. Use Command + J to power duplicate your symbol
  5. Select your original symbol and choose Layer > Arrange > Move to Front
  6. Use the Sync button to unsync your symbols
  7. With the symbols unsynced, apply a colour overlay effect and/or a slight 3d effect to the original symbol
  8. Resync the symbols and type

I used DIN Condensed for my design, but changed it to Arial in the .afdesign file. :)

Alex

AFFINITY.afdesign

AFFINITY.thumb.png.8e6cabefe60ae49e9b8044a58c3d9c72.png

5 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Wouldn’t it be about time that the OP revealed his secret? ^_^

Yes, long overdue!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 9/5/2018 at 7:51 AM, Kasper-V said:

What we really want, I think, is SHADED solid text, like the signwriting on this canal boat. I can't see a way of doing this other than by constructing it from shapes and applying gradients.

Lettering.JPG.bdcdfcea3f6d80caef3d31d905bd3b73.JPG

Or just going to a full 3D app.  Learning to use a 3D app will take some time, but then any number of view angles and lighting direction w. shadings will be very easy. And then, I suppose, posterize it, and vectorize.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi everyone, 

I am so sorry I did not receive any notifications about this topic ! I came back to the forum to check the last update on Affinity Publisher...

I started the tutorial but due to bugs in Affinity Designer I did not completed it. I was quite busy and I was waiting for a new release of Affinity Designer to make the tutorial without bugs and to be sure that everyone would be able to follow along.

Yes, I am complaining about Affinity Designer for some reasons, it's a great software but it lacks some important features (related to text, shapes, etc.)

SO ! I will try with the new beta of Affinity Designer to make the tutorial. If it works, I publish it on youtube, if not, I upload the project file here.

Sorry again for the delay.

PS: You are quite close to the solution guys ! It's a mix of all the technics you mentioned

12 minutes ago, designandprod said:

I am so sorry I did not receive any notifications about this topic !

Click on your username in the top right-hand corner of the page, choose ‘Account Settings’ from the dropdown menu and then choose Notification Settings from the ‘Other Settings’ section on the Settings page. Choose your preferred options and press ‘Save’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ive replaced the video I had originally uploaded see a later post below.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, A_B_C said:

Applying the effect to the group is a nice and effective idea. :)

yeah took a while to work that out, it's fun to just play about and see what effects you can get 

Ok this is a better version I think and hopefully better quality.