You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change brush cursor to be the exact diameter of the brush size?

Hi, I'm new to AD and I'm trying to paint in the Pixel persona but i get a brush circle and the actual brush size is much smaller in the center in the preview when i use my pen on the tablet ( wacom intuos art) and when i use my mouse then the brush size matches to the size of the cursor ring around it..... i hope I've explained it properly.. its so weird! Its very hard to paint when i have to guess where the center of the brush is going to land on the canvas... ive attached two photos of it since it wouldnt let me do a screen grab. This first one is with the mouse. The second is with the Pen and Tablet.

SAM_6379.JPG

SAM_6380.JPG

Hmm, can't reproduce this behavior with the pen of a Wacom bamboo touch&pen when using a brush under AD (OS X), the mouse and the tablet pen behave the same here for me ...

ad_wacom.thumb.jpg.a1e3a307aa0c299c13430d3c989c6cf5.jpg

Are you using AD and your Wacom tablet under Windows or under OSX here?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, SoniaBT said:

(Yes im on Windows 10 ) It must be a windows thing then... its sooo annoying. I really want to use my pen and tablet but i have to stick with the mouse for now i guess.

One thing you can check is, if there is probably a newer Wacom driver available for Windows and your tablet model, which then might maybe behave differently here together with AD since Wacom also updates the drivers continously (bug fixing etc.). So you might want to look and compare your tablet driver version number with the latest from their websites here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

21 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Have you selected "Force pressure to control size"? 

Yes that can also lead to a different brush size behaviour here, if it is unchecked it should normally behave like the mouse, otherwise more pressure is needed to get a similar brush diameter ...

brush_pressure_size.thumb.jpg.bdad86c1a70cbfdc4cd33bb48414cae4.jpg

11 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

i will try that thank you! I am super new to AD so i have no clue about most features! ...

Ok no problem, in order then to get an overview of several of the AD features you might also want to look over the video tutorials here ...

... though there are also a lot of tutorials on Youtube too.

Another good source to look individual things after is also the AD online help here ...

... which resembles the apps help system topics.

Well I think here the forum's Questions section is pretty fine for every sort of questions.

26 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

ok thank you very much! I have more questions on installing AD on a different computer that has Windows 7 ( my current laptop is Windows 10 ). Im having some problems installing. Which section so i ask this question in?

If you have the version from the Affinity Store, it should install without problems on Windows 7 SP1. If it's the one from the Microsoft Store, you need Windows 10.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well I think here the forum's Questions section is pretty fine for every sort of questions.

Good to know! So then, perhaps someone can answer this: what Is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? :P

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Good to know! So then, perhaps someone can answer this: what Is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? :P

Like most of the questioners here in the forum which always forget to clearly name which of the tools and OS, you are also too imprecise here.  - An African or European Swallow?

26 minutes ago, Wikinger said:

The flying speed of a swallow is 60 km/h, but when hunting, it can reach 100 km/h. xDxDxD

But is that true for both African swallows & European swallows? Besides, according to this well researched & documented source, the average airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 24 miles an hour, or about 39 kph.

Ha! @v_kyr beat me to it by a few seconds ....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Guys I have no clues about swallows so would have to read what National Geographics or some other sources who might know about that matter tells here about those, so all I can tell you instead is how to program in Swift ...! ;)

28 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

LOL i see this is the Ornithology section!!

clap.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, SoniaBT said:

LOL i see this is the Ornithology section!!

You're right, sorry for that!

I bought AD from the Affinity website. I have Windows 10....did i get the wrong version? I also have Windows 7 on another computer.. Tell me what to dooooo

Ok back to main the topic, NO that Windows version from the Affinity website should be usually more stress free and better suited. You may need to have only the right needed .Net C++ runtime libs installed on Win 7 here, but AFAI recall when I tried AD on Win, it already comes with those or at least indicates and also installs those needed libs here during the installation process. - So tell us what problems you encountered here on Win 7 with AD, what does happen or is indicated at all?

Well any context related questions! ;)

Don't know how your laptop is equipped, meaning if it has enough RAM, a speedy CPU etc., or if you run a bunch of processes (apps/services) together. Another thing which slows AD/AP startup down is having a lot of installed fonts here ... and so on.

Nah that Dell Inspiron model should be then well equipped, also having 16GB of RAM is pretty fine and enough (I assume you have a model with NVidia GPU). - How do other Win apps behave here in contrast (?), you can also check and see from the Win task manager if it is maybe only AD here which eats lots of resources.