You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use Affinity Photo as Raw Converter

Currently I am using Lightroom as both DAM & editing but want to switch to Affinity Photo, not only for editing but also for converting my raw images from my Fuji X-Pro2 from their proprietary raw format.  If I use LR to convert I can get their DNG result but think that AP may do a better job of converting from what I have read.  But I still want to use LR for DAM, so the question is how can I do this.  If I download my image files into LR for DAM purposes, they will be converted to DNG.  Any thoughts about this or experiences doing so?

Does LR really need to convert Fuji format to DNG? I would think conversion to DNG is just an option, usually LR keeps original RAW.

I am also not so sure AP is better converter, definitely it is slower. Maybe you can keep your workflow in LR and just transfer selected photos to AP as RAW?

5 hours ago, jedorme said:

If I download my image files into LR for DAM purposes, they will be converted to DNG.

The target file format can be selected at the top of Lightroom's import dialog (see attached screenshot).

The default setting is Copy as DNG which will convert your RAWs to DNG. Any of the other options will retain the original file format.

lightroom_import.png

Thanks, that looks like it should work.  The Copy option appears to function the same as Copy as DNG but retains the original file format & adds them to my catalogue.  I will give this a try & will also see if there is much difference in conversion speed on a 2017 iMac with the 3.8 GHz Intel i5 quad-core processor.