You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colorized photos

voitek

nice job

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

On 3.02.2018 at 4:03 AM, shizumiaoki said:

Great job!!!! How are these images done? Do you just paint colour over the image with the layer set to a blend mode?

Mostly filling a layer with a color, setting a layer blend mode and painting the mask white in desired areas. It's not difficult.

While I love the original black and white photos , your colourising technique brings them to life. I'm very impressed by the way the French soldiers leap out of history to become actual characters, and the blue uniforms,medals, leather holsters and belts, and helmets really tell a story. I'm inspired to take a new look at some of my family archives. I don't think I'll manage the flesh tones as well as you though. Well done!  

On 2/2/2018 at 11:27 PM, voitek said:

If I didn't know any better, I would say that this was still from an upcoming film, which has been processed to age it and then desaturated to resemble a historic photo. 

Great original, hard to imagine it was taken in 1916 and not 2016.

You have an amazing talent. Genealogy sites need this magic.

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've just found out that the BBC - in the UK - are transmitting the documentary film "They Shall Not Grow Old" by Peter Jackson (the "Lord of The Rings" one) this Saturday (2nd Feb 2019). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old
His team took 100 hours of archive video from the Imperial War Museum and restored it to the correct speed, removed all kinds of problems and recoloured it, and it looks fantastic from the little I've seen. I'd say it was well worth an hour and a half of anyone's time if they're interested in this sort of thing.

Apparently they also used lip readers to find out what the soldiers were saying! - I saw it when it was first shown on TV and can highly recommend it. (I only wish I'd seen it in 3D in the cinema!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I missed it in November and I would have liked to see the 'making of' that was also shown.
It would be really interesting to see how they restored just a few seconds of footage. What processes did they use? What analogue equipment was used? What computer hardware did they use? What software did they use? What were the harder bits to do? Was anything impossible and what was the 'Plan B' if that happened? Etc. Etc.
We very rarely get to see experts do their thing on TV for any decent length of time. Watching someone who really knows what they're doing showing us what they do and why they do it the way they do it is often fascinating. (A series like "Handmade" but for technical work rather than 'arty stuff' would be nice.)
Anyway, considering the kit, experience, skill and money the team must have had to hand I imagine the results are brilliant.