You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy mask to another layer (revisited)

I found a thread from over 2 years ago where it was stated that you cannot copy a mask from one layer to another. Is this still true? If yes, what is your workflow for multiple layers where you want to use the same mask? I've been dragging additional adjustment layers as child layers to the original masked adjustment layer. Is this the best or only way to accomplish this need?

Yes and no. I use "old form-masks" this way: I put the mask first over the target layer and then i nest the target layer in it. Its the opposite of regular mask, but it works.

And regular masks i can nest directly from one layer to another. But its ll about nesting.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• 1 year later...

In Affinity Designer (1.7.1):

• select the mask and duplicate (CMD+J on Mac, or right-click and duplicate)
  • drag the duplicate to the target layer, dropping it in the small vertical dropzone on the right of the target layer thumbnail

Obviously if the target layer is in a different location to the original layer, you'll need to move the new mask to fit.

Edited by Paul Masri-Stone
Correction. Original comment was wrong!