dominik

Export to PNG with transparent background

I tried to export a file to an PNG with the background transparent. No matter what I try either the image is completely black or it is not transparent.

Both ways 'File > Export' and 'Export Persona' behave the same.

Is this a known issue?

d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.293) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.293) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.293

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you using Affinity Photo, or Affinity Designer? What version?

Sorry, I was not quite clear about that. It's latest Affinity Designer beta as in my signature.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.293) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.293) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.293

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Thanks, dominik. It was unclear as your sig lists both Photo and Designer and both retail and beta versions :)
I think there's a known bug in the current Photo beta with respect to exporting PNG files with transparency. Perhaps it's in the Designer beta, too? I would try with the retail version and see what you get.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

The first picture was done in latest beta Designer

Second picture in latest beta Photo

Made them semi transparent to show it does work in either program.

Select the objects/layers you wish to export

Choose the area option needed,either;

Whole document or 

Selection with background or

Selection without background
I'll go for the last option

_Hans

Test1.thumb.png.70297f1a53a22fd3f101df2329d75105.pngTest2.thumb.png.ae56637bc722acbf270d33f11857d18b.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Here are two adjusted versions with backobject having no fill and stroke and exported as transparent png just fine.

Test1b.png

Test2b.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a .afphoto file with transparency (test3.afphoto), and a version exported from Affinity Photo 1.6.3.98 Beta (test3beta.png), and a version exported from Affinity Photo 1.6.2.97 (test3.png). I have a blue rectangle on a transparent background, with a smaller rectangle cut out from the center.

Exporting from the beta loses the transparency, and the background is white when reloaded into either version of Affinity Photo. Exporting from the released version maintains the transparency when reloaded into Affinity Photo. Or, viewing with another photo viewer shows the transparency with one but not the other. I'm not sure how to show that here in the forums, though, where both appear identical to me. But if you download the two PNG files you should be able to see it.

(I added the red release numbers to the images for export. The .afphoto file won't have any release number in it.)

test3.afphoto

test3beta.png

test3.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

Hey, thanks for all of your tests and confirmation. And thanks for the link to the report of the bug. I was searching the forum before I posted but did not find this one.

Then we can look forward for a fix :)

d.

I see what you mean and what I'll do.

Don't use the background being transparent when starting a new project.

Use a big background for your project to make things more clearer, something like a pasteboard.

Have a rectangle be the backlayer/object, make it transparent.

On top of this create/paste the subjects,...

Than select all objects,including the transparent backobject to export,choose the area option "selection with no background".

Now you should have a png with a transparent background.

_Hans

You're welcome

_Hans

12 hours ago, haakoo said:

Don't use the background being transparent when starting a new project.

Use a big background for your project to make things more clearer, something like a pasteboard.

Have a rectangle be the backlayer/object, make it transparent.

On top of this create/paste the subjects,...

Than select all objects,including the transparent backobject to export,choose the area option "selection with no background".

Now you should have a png with a transparent background.

That's a very clever workaround. Many thanks for that!

Cheers,

d.

Hi Dominik,

As others have said this is an issue that occurred during the beta build. However if you are reporting issues against a beta build please post them in the corresponding beta forums please!