So after so many lagging issues with DESIGNER under windows 10.  I have not reset it, uninstalled it, cleaned the machine, reboot, reinstall, added brushes and with in 3 uses of the program its back to brief lockups, very slow moving of item and slow loading of program.

I never had these issues under windows 7.

I have now put the first version of 1.6 released to public and it seems to be working better.

Whats wrong with the program or what i am doing with it? I never had an issue under Windows 7 pro. But this experience under Windows 10 is terrible. I had issues with PHOTO as well. But reset seemed to fix it for the moment.

When I reinstalled the brushes , i did them one at a time and checked..all was good...they are either DAUB brushes or FRANKENTOON...nothing else.

PLEASE HELP!

Gary

I had this same issue when i first worked on it.. really bad lagging...now mine wont even start!! its stuck on the splash screen... lol... ive checked all the graphics drivers are up to date but. i really dont know what to do.. i have a project due and just bought this day before yesterday!

14 hours ago, SoniaBT said:

I had this same issue when i first worked on it.. really bad lagging...now mine wont even start!! its stuck on the splash screen... lol... ive checked all the graphics drivers are up to date but. i really dont know what to do.. i have a project due and just bought this day before yesterday!

SoniaBT, are you on windows? Let me know if you are win 10 or 8 or 7..can tell you soemthing to try..my latest install of the older version seems to be working..also tried the beta..that seems to be ok so far.

There is a way to clean out files before reinstalling.. May help..Let me know.

Gary

Hi Gary, Im on Windows 10. I just downloaded the latest version of AD. yes please tell me anything that can help LOL! im pretty nuts at this point . I have this giant file thats 24x36 inches  300 dpi and im almost grey haired now waiting for  things to finish rendering! Someone suggested holding CTRL while starting AD so i did that cleared out the settings but the lag is still there.

Edit - i also have a desktop that is Windows 7 so if i need to do something different on that computer please let me know! thank yoooooo

Which are the machine specs ?

Also... You are with Designer... can you create all, as is vectorial, in a smaller physical size and resolution, then later on enlarge to a final size, (saving safe versions per every x steps) for example, once adding the raster-like effects, if you are into that. Being vectorial, it shouldn't suffer from being a larger canvas, but who knows...

Wish list :
[AP] Hiding the brush outline, as an option at preferences.

[AP] Little change (added option) to color picker (color selector) 
And...fixing certain lag in the brush at small features/start of lines, and also, jitter when zoomed-out ....pretty pluuuueaaaze ? :)
Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7 860 dinosaur 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.

14 hours ago, SoniaBT said:

Hi Gary, Im on Windows 10. I just downloaded the latest version of AD. yes please tell me anything that can help LOL! im pretty nuts at this point . I have this giant file thats 24x36 inches  300 dpi and im almost grey haired now waiting for  things to finish rendering! Someone suggested holding CTRL while starting AD so i did that cleared out the settings but the lag is still there.

Edit - i also have a desktop that is Windows 7 so if i need to do something different on that computer please let me know! thank yoooooo

Hello SoniaBT,

First off i am running the first version of 1.6 not the latest . That has helped.

But here is what i did to make it run smoother.

Uninstall DESIGNER. Reboot.

Go to users/your name/app data/roaming/affinity/

you will see DESIGNER in there. DELETE that directory. ( this will kill all your settings.)

Now reinstall DESIGNER. 

Also make sure you have newest graphic drivers.

Launch DESIGNER and see if it works without lag. If so , IMPORT a Brush, then try it again before importing anything else. Try this one step at a time.  

Let me know if this help. There are other things to try. So many things could be the culprit, but this is a good CLEAN start.

Gary

7 hours ago, SrPx said:

Which are the machine specs ?

Also... You are with Designer... can you create all, as is vectorial, in a smaller physical size and resolution, then later on enlarge to a final size, (saving safe versions per every x steps) for example, once adding the raster-like effects, if you are into that. Being vectorial, it shouldn't suffer from being a larger canvas, but who knows...

I have a very quick machine . Nothing to do with specs. Its something to do with WINDOWS 10 i think.

Problems happen even with the simplest of VECTOR shapes and drawing. Haven't used the raster part of it. That would be slower.

Oh, the Machine is i7 3930k 4GHZ, 32GB RAm, Solid State Drives, GTX 980, 4K monitor, Wacom TOUCH 5 ( not using it with designer yet ), Windows 10 Pro

This designer worked absoluetly fine on WINDOWS 7 PRO. This issue is with WNIDOWS 10 PRO

Gary

Sorry, I was mostly asking the specs and giving a solution to SoniaBT because she said she had a project to deliver - and I know how that feels... :S - of a large canvas of 24 x 36 inches at 300dpi . Some vectorial packages do some sort of extra resource eating when establishing so the canvas. There's no reason for that, but have checked it happening sometimes even with the top dogs. But about your case, Windows 10, if anything, just like 8.1, they both are FAR more efficient in its memory and resources usage than Windows 7. The latter just has a lot more time in the market and so the software has been more polished for it. But this is a fact often forgotten by the general critics against Win 10. That and the UI change (like in every major Windows version change) . IMO, YES, you could have something different now, some library, something, that is colliding with Affinity. And if your other 2D packages do work well, might be an incompatibility or something between Affinity and Windows 10. IMO, people should stop thinking Windows 7 is better, because it is not, is just more tested, and software is more prepared for it, so to speak. About your machine, your disk is excellent, and related to the video card there must be zero problems, too. It's old, but was a high end card. For this core I don't have much references, but seems is a 3rd gen from the Sandy Bridge E, a 6 cores 12 threads, reaching 3.8 MHZ in turbo...definitely should have ZERO probs when I literally fly in Designer with just a mainstream 1st gen i7 860. And your 32 gb ram certainly blow away my just 8. Still, I have zero issues even with quite complex scenes. I guess something in your Win 10 installation is colliding there. Wouldn't be in general in Win 10, or a legion of users would have complained about it. There must be some collision to happen in certain cases, and is happening to both of you.... Maybe is one of the latest AD betas, and the file giving the probs remains somehow until a clean install is done ?

Wish list :
[AP] Hiding the brush outline, as an option at preferences.

[AP] Little change (added option) to color picker (color selector) 
And...fixing certain lag in the brush at small features/start of lines, and also, jitter when zoomed-out ....pretty pluuuueaaaze ? :)
Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7 860 dinosaur 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Sorry, I was mostly asking the specs and giving a solution to SoniaBT because she said she had a project to deliver - and I know how that feels... :S - of a large canvas of 24 x 36 inches at 300dpi . Some vectorial packages do some sort of extra resource eating when establishing so the canvas. There's no reason for that, but have checked it happening sometimes even with the top dogs. But about your case, Windows 10, if anything, just like 8.1, they both are FAR more efficient in its memory and resources usage than Windows 7. The latter just has a lot more time in the market and so the software has been more polished for it. But this is a fact often forgotten by the general critics against Win 10. That and the UI change (like in every major Windows version change) . IMO, YES, you could have something different now, some library, something, that is colliding with Affinity. And if your other 2D packages do work well, might be an incompatibility or something between Affinity and Windows 10. IMO, people should stop thinking Windows 7 is better, because it is not, is just more tested, and software is more prepared for it, so to speak. About your machine, your disk is excellent, and related to the video card there must be zero problems, too. It's old, but was a high end card. For this core I don't have much references, but seems is a 3rd gen from the Sandy Bridge E, a 6 cores 12 threads, reaching 3.8 MHZ in turbo...definitely should have ZERO probs when I literally fly in Designer with just a mainstream 1st gen i7 860. And your 32 gb ram certainly blow away my just 8. Still, I have zero issues even with quite complex scenes. I guess something in your Win 10 installation is colliding there. Wouldn't be in general in Win 10, or a legion of users would have complained about it. There must be some collision to happen in certain cases, and is happening to both of you.... Maybe is one of the latest AD betas, and the file giving the probs remains somehow until a clean install is done ?

THere is something a miss with AFFINITY DESIGNER and PHOTO on Windows 10.

Windows 10 as a OS is better than 7. No doubt about that. I do a lot of beta testing for other software.  It feels like these programs corrupt there preferences by themselves. Only a full clean and reinstall seems to fix it.

So far, my 1.6 original is running well. I just need to get some work done with it. I have the Beta installed and played a bit with it..so far its ok, but i am doing my workload in the original program. Don't have time to mess around with it. The other issue is, and this is DESIGNER and PHOTO, they load about 8 seconds slower on Windows 10. Whats weird, is they are loading from a solid state drive.  On Windows 7 they were loading from a 7200rpm drive. Tested the solid state drive transfer rates. Its running to spec. So not the drive. Again i come back to how this is working on Windows 10.

The PC version of both these programs needs some TLC and finessing in my opinion. They do not have the same fluid feel as the MAC version.

Every other program i run, including ADOBE runs perfect on Windows 10. Affinity photo and designer are the ones giving my issues.

As for SoniaBT using a 24x36 @300dpi, it shouldn't matter if she is in Vector. Not to mention, she is having problems opening the program. Some deeper issue there.

Hopefully she reports back the problem and the specs to look a little more at the issue.

Thank you SrPx and thegary for your help! Ive actually never imported a brush into AD yet ( not even sure how to do that!) i did wonder at first WHY would a vector program need dpi because its only when I export it would Ineed to state what dpi i want right? Is that why its lagging? i have a LOT of vectors going on in there that I made in separate files and then copy pasted into the main one because it was SO SLOW it wouldnt let me work in it . It's an architectural rendering for a client for a  rescue mission building. ( ive sized it down a LOT here )
Specs for my computer -  Windows 10 Home
Processor - Intel Core i7-4510u CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
Ram - 16GB
System type - 64-bit OS x64 based processor

lMRM-version 8MboroRescueMissionBuildingVersion1.jpg

2 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

Ive actually never imported a brush into AD yet ( not even sure how to do that!)

Go to the Brushes panel, click on the menu 'hamburger', choose 'Import Brushes...' from the menu and browse to the *.afbrushes or *.abr file that you want to import. Please note that if the imported brushes are raster brushes, you'll only be able to see and use them in the Pixel Persona.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.40 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

"Would you like fries with that?" :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.40 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

LOL fries would certainly help with this problem! I was up super late working on this.. something that would normally take me just an hour or so... hope the next release is a bit faster. I asked some  other people who use AD on a Mac and they said they had no problems at all!

My current Affinity installations are on a much lower spec Windows machine than yours, so I'm not really in a position to judge! BTW, if you go to your account settings and edit your signature, you won't need to remember to include your system specs in your posts.

Alfred online2long.gif

You're very welcome, Sonia. flowers.gif

Alfred online2long.gif

16 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

oh great idea! thanks Alfred!:)

SoniaBT,

Dont' go installing any brushes until you have your issue of slow and lagging fixed. Once you have fixed that , then import things such as brushes. Photoshop brushes are raster, not vector. If you want nice vector brushes check out FRANKENTOON. They work very nicely with AFFINITY software and made specifially for it.

Gary

35 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

Thank you SrPx and thegary for your help! Ive actually never imported a brush into AD yet ( not even sure how to do that!) i did wonder at first WHY would a vector program need dpi because its only when I export it would Ineed to state what dpi i want right? Is that why its lagging? i have a LOT of vectors going on in there that I made in separate files and then copy pasted into the main one because it was SO SLOW it wouldnt let me work in it . It's an architectural rendering for a client for a  rescue mission building. ( ive sized it down a LOT here )
Specs for my computer -  Windows 10 Home
Processor - Intel Core i7-4510u CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
Ram - 16GB
System type - 64-bit OS x64 based processor

lMRM-version 8MboroRescueMissionBuildingVersion1.jpg

Great drawing by the way.

Save it out as another file you can experiment with. You can just save it as a 150 dpi.  See if it affects anything. It shouldn't if you not using raster brushes. Then try saving as 100 DPi.  Check your speed and quality of your art.

Gary

Thanks Gary, Im not importing anything until this project is done!  I do have a few layers where i used the Pixel Persona section with raster brushes to paint the shadow under the window sills.. but nothing else... at the end of the program i think i may go back in and delete them and do the shadows in vector. So can i do full digital paintings in the Pixel persona? like how digital artists paint in Photoshop? I personally use Krita and i love it but i just wanted to know about painting in AD

5 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

Thanks Gary, Im not importing anything until this project is done!  I do have a few layers where i used the Pixel Persona section with raster brushes to paint the shadow under the window sills.. but nothing else... at the end of the program i think i may go back in and delete them and do the shadows in vector. So can i do full digital paintings in the Pixel persona? like how digital artists paint in Photoshop? I personally use Krita and i love it but i just wanted to know about painting in AD

You should still be fine at 150dpi. Most printers would print this file at that res or possibly 100dpi. 

When they rip large images to the printer it usually wont make a difference at 150dpi. I print about 100 of 24x36 prints for movies every 6 months...never had any issues at 150DPI

If you are working in other programs , and have a fast machine, i have used 24x36 at 300dpi, incase i need to scale up to a larger size. There for giving me extra DPI to play with.

If you are not changing the size to something larger, work at 150dpi...

Hopefully this all helps.

Gary

Please check if you get faster workflow with this setting under (Edit > Preferences... > Performance > View Quality:) from "Bilinear (Best Quality)" to "Nearest Neighbour".

Note that the quality of the displayed image may look worse in the view than it is, but the refresh rate is faster!

view_quality.thumb.gif.5db09b25864148e8836d4b9c56388756.gif

How are you trying to load the program, Sonia? Via a Start menu icon or a shortcut on your Desktop, or by double-clicking on a *.afdesign document?

Alfred online2long.gif