Thanks ChristAlix i made the settings exactly the way you had it. Mine was already on " Nearest Neighbor" but i changed the others to mirror yours.

Alfred - I usually go to the exe file in the Program Files and right click " start as administrator" or " start with graphics card" etc etc when it wont start just by the task bar button that i have... ive tried opening with the .afdesign doument as well.. all of them take forever o.O

oh now its got the black square behind the splash screen logo when i clicked to restart it after making those settings... sigh...

ADSLOW.png

SO HEY!

since my topic was hijacked....

I started this thread to help my problem and we end up on someonelses...

DON"T mind helping by the way..its how we get things fixed..

But my issue is still not resolved and seems as though AFFINITY are once again not contributing. 

Please read the thread and some input on how to fix these issues.

Gary

14 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

Thanks ChristAlix i made the settings exactly the way you had it. Mine was already on " Nearest Neighbor" but i changed the others to mirror yours.

Alfred - I usually go to the exe file in the Program Files and right click " start as administrator" or " start with graphics card" etc etc when it wont start just by the task bar button that i have... ive tried opening with the .afdesign doument as well.. all of them take forever o.O

oh now its got the black square behind the splash screen logo when i clicked to restart it after making those settings... sigh...

ADSLOW.png

did you try what i said about the install and uninstall? Cleaning and so on.

changing something to nearest neighbour are the least of your problems if you taking that long to boot.

do a control alt delete and go to task manager. See if anything is hogging your memory. Look at CPU %. Should be at 0 or very low before you load the program.

thanks so much Gary i will get off this thread. I apologize for hijacking this.. really very sorry!  i hope your problem is resolved very soon! thanks for all your help!

7 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

thanks so much Gary i will get off this thread. I apologize for hijacking this.. really very sorry!  i hope your problem is resolved very soon! thanks for all your help!

SoniaBT, 

stay and lets get your problem resolved. If we can figure it out, it helps everyone who may have the same issue..

Just didnt' want my issue to go away either..

Did you try what i posted?

Gary

Do you have many additional fonts installed? - How big are the files you load in folks?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

16 minutes ago, thegary said:

SoniaBT, 

stay and lets get your problem resolved. If we can figure it out, it helps everyone who may have the same issue..

Just didnt' want my issue to go away either..

Did you try what i posted?

Gary

^^ Agree.  Indeed, what is happening to you, Sonia, it shouldn't happen. So, please don't think is just a problem you have : We are all having some interest in any issue with any file, with both Designer and Photo. IMO is important to hunt these cases (and IMO, any bug, any malfunctioning, anything. The apps are very young, specially in Windows Platform), otherwise, certain people in certain circumstances, will keep finding the problem ! And these could be us tomorrow, too, so...Brainstorming among several tends to help a lot to find a solution for this kind of  issues. And IMO, anyway is quite related to Thegary's problems.

I don't know if Pixel Persona is thought for a much lighter canvas, as a mere sketching solution -which is very useful- in raster previous to do your final vectors, but maybe is not thought for a huge canvas - in raster- like a 24 x 36 inches and 300 dpì.   The other stuff I mentioned was that maybe when you have raster effects (like Illustrator also has) in huge canvases it "could" cause hogs. But I have not made really raster effects - I mean intensively- in Designer just yet, so I haven't put that kind of thing to stress.

Wish list :
[AP] Hiding the brush outline, as an option at preferences.

[AP] Little change (added option) to color picker (color selector) 
And...fixing certain lag in the brush at small features/start of lines, and also, jitter when zoomed-out ....pretty pluuuueaaaze ? :)
Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7 860 dinosaur 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.

Hi guys thanks, i jumped on this topic because its also exactly my problem haha ! i didnt mean any disrespect to Gary's posting. I have to keep checking my computer issues. It's probably the huge file im working on, Its taking up 36% of the CPU right now with the file FINALLY open, ( its a 110 mb file ) so that's what the lag is about maybe! ill keep working on my project and hope it goes through til im done and its submitted safe and sound xD. I really appreciate all the time and effort that everyone has put in to help me! bye for now

Hello "thegary""SoniaBT",

can you please take a screenshot of your direcX version?
It seems as if you have problems with the graphics memory!
Affinity Designer & Photo only work with DirectX 10 or better DirectX11.

To check which version of DirectX is installed on your PC, use the DirectX diagnostic tool:

1. Select the Start button, type dxdiag in the search box and press Enter.
2. In the DirectX Diagnostics Tool, select the System tab, and then check the DirectX version number under System Information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15061/windows-which-version-directx

Please take two screenshots as shown here:

dxdiag_system.png.454a7dd101995858773f634753111b9f.pngdxdiag_graphic.png.9e7b10798d85ff368bad5c973b25a0b7.png

24 minutes ago, ChristAlix said:

Hello "thegary""SoniaBT",

can you please take a screenshot of your direcX version?
It seems as if you have problems with the graphics memory!
Affinity Designer & Photo only work with DirectX 10 or better DirectX11.

To check which version of DirectX is installed on your PC, use the DirectX diagnostic tool:

1. Select the Start button, type dxdiag in the search box and press Enter.
2. In the DirectX Diagnostics Tool, select the System tab, and then check the DirectX version number under System Information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15061/windows-which-version-directx

Please take two screenshots as shown here:

dxdiag_system.png.454a7dd101995858773f634753111b9f.pngdxdiag_graphic.png.9e7b10798d85ff368bad5c973b25a0b7.png

mine is good

dxdiag_2018-02-04_15-17-39.png

dxdiag_2018-02-04_15-18-58.png

Everything looks okay. 
I see you have several sound tabs and here in the forum I read something about problems with Affinity Designer in connection with NVidia Surround Sound.

Search here for "NVIDIA Surround" and I'm thinking about what might be the problem!

May not solve your problems

My specs are lower then most of you running win10 x64

When opening either Designer or Photo takes about a minute at most

Just loaded a 655 mb psd file within a minute in both and it only lags with big pixelbrush usage.

I kept an eye on my taskmanager and saw a dllhost service running even after I closed both programs and it pulled my ram al the way down.

Maybe the devs can shed a light on this comsurrogate dll file?

After I ended this task/service Designer and Photo ran like they should

If this is releated to Affinity programs shouldn't there be a flush of some kind after closing the programs?

_Hans

So sorry to butt in again.. just wanted to say , someone suggested on a post id made earlier that the fonts might be causing the delay in start up so i got rid of all fonts except for system fonts and im not kidding...AD started within a few seconds of opening it! i tried opening and closing several times and its still opening fast! omg.. I hope this helps somehow, Gary. My DirectX settings are also exactly like yours...graphics card is also up to date! Now i hope this computer continues being wellk behaved!!

I remember exactly that happening to me with an old version of Photoshop, back in the days at a company. It was really driving me crazy. I believe I had around 1000 fonts, can't remember... I moved them all to a backup folder, and PS got back to normal functioning (I believe am talking initial CS times, or maybe older). Never knew if was the number of them, or a specific troubling font or font type.

Still, I believe there might be other different issues here, with Thegary's.

Wish list :
[AP] Hiding the brush outline, as an option at preferences.

[AP] Little change (added option) to color picker (color selector) 
And...fixing certain lag in the brush at small features/start of lines, and also, jitter when zoomed-out ....pretty pluuuueaaaze ? :)
Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7 860 dinosaur 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Do you have many additional fonts installed? - How big are the files you load in folks?

53 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

So sorry to butt in again.. just wanted to say , someone suggested on a post id made earlier that the fonts might be causing the delay in start up so i got rid of all fonts except for system fonts and im not kidding...AD started within a few seconds of opening it! i tried opening and closing several times and its still opening fast! omg.. I hope this helps somehow, Gary. My DirectX settings are also exactly like yours...graphics card is also up to date! ...

Well I told you before in another thread to look also after this, since the fonts check is one of the known things which does at least delay startup times a lot. Further I recommend for those who already may need a bunch (many many) of additional fonts to use a font manager which manages and loads these only on demand. Two free such tools for Win are for example ...

Now i hope this computer continues being wellk behaved!!

BTW haha "wellk" means in German "withered" and wouldn't be what you want your computer to behave like at all.

Haha slip of the keyboard! now i know a new German word! I must have missed your suggestion for the font check. I will look into those font managers thank you! The lag is probably still going to be there, hopefully it will be resolved as well for Gary too!

Well as said, this mostly affects overall startup times and not that much usual app runtimes after it has started, the later are another theme here and there are certain other things which can lead to slow execution during those phases. - Further if I recall correctly AD/AP under Win are compiled to use .Net managed code, which isn't always the fastest for certain let's say high speed tasks.

Hi @thegary, have you tried the beta as suggested by my colleague in this thread? We are really keen to get some feedback regarding this. 

@SoniaBT having lots of fonts installed will cause the app to run up slowly because each time we run the app, we check for what fonts and ICC profiles are installed. Obviously the more you have installed, the slower it will be. This also allows Affinity to remain open whilst you add/remove fonts and it will update the list on the fly without the need to restart. Call it a feature ;)

15 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well I told you before in another thread to look also after this, since the fonts check is one of the known things which does at least delay startup times a lot. Further I recommend for those who already may need a bunch (many many) of additional fonts to use a font manager which manages and loads these only on demand. Two free such tools for Win are for example ...

BTW haha "wellk" means in German "withered" and wouldn't be what you want your computer to behave like at all.

I will give the FONT THING  a try...just deleted 400 of them...

The weird thing is i had way more fonts on WINDOWS 7 and this did affect my performance with DESIGNER. Why Windows 10?

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi @thegary, have you tried the beta as suggested by my colleague in this thread? We are really keen to get some feedback regarding this. 

@SoniaBT having lots of fonts installed will cause the app to run up slowly because each time we run the app, we check for what fonts and ICC profiles are installed. Obviously the more you have installed, the slower it will be. This also allows Affinity to remain open whilst you add/remove fonts and it will update the list on the fly without the need to restart. Call it a feature ;)

I will try the beta at a later time. I am working and frankly sick to death of software not working. Spent way to much time trying to fix something that just should just work consistantly.  Even ADOBE is working fine. Just not DESIGNER or PHOTO.

Adobe generally has problems, but they have been good. My workflow with them in uninterrupted.

Reinstalling brushes, styles, assests everytime have to reinstall this software is driving my nuts. TO MUCH TIME WASTED. There needs to be a better way to get the settings back. Also a way to save layouts for various things. 

Sorry for the rant , but this is taking up A LOT OF MY TIME! I just need to create GFX for the movies i am working on. Can't beta test your software and work.

Installing fontbase and seeing if that helps.

Gary

13 minutes ago, thegary said:

I will try the beta at a later time. I am working and frankly sick to death of software not working. Spent way to much time trying to fix something that just should just work consistantly.  Even ADOBE is working fine. Just not DESIGNER or PHOTO.

Adobe generally has problems, but they have been good. My workflow with them in uninterrupted.

Reinstalling brushes, styles, assests everytime have to reinstall this software is driving my nuts. TO MUCH TIME WASTED. There needs to be a better way to get the settings back. Also a way to save layouts for various things. 

Sorry for the rant , but this is taking up A LOT OF MY TIME! I just need to create GFX for the movies i am working on. Can't beta test your software and work.

Installing fontbase and seeing if that helps.

Gary

Hi Gary, i used this ancient free  font manager called Font Frenzy. i tried Font Base and i didnt really know how to use it i guess.. i just needed to be able to click something to reduce all the fonts back to just system fonts ( after saving what i needed in a separate folder for fonts in my documents folder ) On Font Frenzy, i clicked Defrenzy and it did the job right away!  I really hope this helps somehow. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to do your work! http://download.cnet.com/FontFrenzy/3000-2316_4-10302029.html

16 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

Hi Gary, i used this ancient free  font manager called Font Frenzy. i tried Font Base and i didnt really know how to use it i guess.. i just needed to be able to click something to reduce all the fonts back to just system fonts ( after saving what i needed in a separate folder for fonts in my documents folder ) On Font Frenzy, i clicked Defrenzy and it did the job right away!  I really hope this helps somehow. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to do your work! http://download.cnet.com/FontFrenzy/3000-2316_4-10302029.html

Thanks for the link. FONT BASE is a bit odd, so clean a interface, its not really telling you what its doing. 

THanks

Gary

27 minutes ago, thegary said:

Thanks for the link. FONT BASE is a bit odd, so clean a interface, its not really telling you what its doing.

It's one of those overdone flat design things, meaning that nowadays a bunch of desktop software is too much influenced from the bloody smartphone UI era (greetings from Win 10). Typical for nowadays where a buch of Designers are diving into the domain of software developers ... LOL

There are also a bunch of other font management software solutions available (freeware and commercial), I just named two freely available the quick way here.

Just now, v_kyr said:

It's one of those overdone flat design things, meaning that nowadays a bunch of desktop software is too much influenced from the bloody smartphone UI era (greetings from Win 10). Typical for nowadays where a buch of Designers are diving into the domain of software developers ... LOL

There are also a bunch of other font management software solutions available (freeware and commercial), I just named two freely available the quick way here.

Yeah i agree with the flat UI deisgn has gone a bit to simple...i like the cleanliness of it, but still need the features and ease of use.

Nexus Font seem pretty good..trying it now...thinning out more fonts....so easy for them to pile up.

Gary