You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I have problems with Affinity Photo files. When I zoom in and out, or when I use shape tools etc. I start getting artifacts like those you see in the picture I posted, and the worst is that the is still there  when I save the file to jpeg format.. it looks to me like it could be a compatibility issue with my video card... 

my video card is: NVIDIA QUADRO K2200

OS win 10 PRO 64bit

CPU intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz

32 GB RAM

Has anyone had this problem before or knows a possible solution to it ?

video artifacts.jpg

attach the .aphoto file to the post; stick a watermark over it if need be, so I or someone else can try the image. I use Mac {see sig} and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB.

Personally I don't get this issue on any images so unless someone on this forum has a similar GPU it would be hard to tell.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

ok firstdefence, here is the file that got corrupted. In the meanwhile I tried working on the initial  clean copy of the file and after a while, adding a rectangle shape with gaussian blur and layer mode set on "reflect" it started giving the same problems...

I will post both files, so you can experiment with them, thanks

corrupted file.afphoto

initial file.afphoto

I checked your corrupted file.afphoto document on my Mac (specs in sig) & the only unusual thing I saw was some strange pixilation artifacts on the chrome(?) table legs, but nothing like the green or yellowish stuff.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

ok R C-R, what do you see in the navigator? Is it looking good also there ? Because on both my PC at home and the one at the office (with different specs and AMD GPU),  when I open the file it may look ok in the main window (if I don't do anything, like zooming in and out for example) but it looks with artifacts in the navigator.

And, I see now, if I switch off the only one  pixel layer with FX to it, the problem seems to disappear... 

• Staff

Hi matterender,

Thanks for the file. There's definitely something wrong going on. I'm also seeing rendering artefacts in several parts of the photo on Windows when zooming. The navigator also show problems. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thanks for your report.

7 minutes ago, matterender said:

ok R C-R, what do you see in the navigator? Is it looking good also there ?

It looks OK there as well, so I think this must be a Windows only issue.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

@matterender If you hide the second pixel layer and zoom in/out does you still see the artefacts and the faulty render on the Navigator?

No in that case I don't. see anything wrong.

And if I save the file as jpeg the picture looks ok.

It seems a problem with the shape tools. Both  two first pixel layers are rasterized versions of a superimposed rectangle with gaussian blur FX.

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

It also affects the Mac. The cause seems to be the second pixel layer in the corrupted file.

Do you mean you see the same green & yellowish artifacts on your Mac? If so, I wonder why I don't. O.o

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

In the Navigator yes. Rendering artefacts while zooming only on Windows (but with different colours).

I see that now, but I had to float the Navigator panel & increase its size to see it clearly. Normally, I have that panel docked in a narrow panel group & set to the "Advanced" mode, so it is very tiny on my 27" screen. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused. :$

Affinity Photo 

I think I figured out what it might be... or at least a workaround.

The strange artifacts disappear  either converting  the file from 32bit to 16bit (with unacceptable loss in terms of colour depth,) or exporting it to HDR with the option "don't export layers hidden by Export persona" flagged (true). After that the file can be opened again in a new window (it will be flattened), modified and exported as jpeg or any other format without problems.

The initial file was an .EXR, I opened it in AP and started working on it straight away without reducing the color format to 16bit, maybe there lies the origin of the problem?

Anyway it seems quite clear to me that the issue is related to color format and color depth.

I never had a problem with the document on screen but the Navigator panel did clearly show the problem

Changing it to 16bit cured it and then changing it straight back to 32bit did not reintroduce the problem.  The Navigation panel display seems OK now

(Hope that helps someone)

Windows 8.0

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, owenr said:

The problematic Soft Light blending is happening where pixels of the composite image underneath the Soft Light layer have a negative R, G or B component.

Layers 5 and 9, counting from the top of the layers stack, contain pixels with negative values which are contributing to negative values in the composite underneath the Soft Light layer (layer 2).

Converting to 16-bit eliminates the problem because integer colour modes do not support negative values, so negatives become zeros.

Instead of converting to 16-bit, remain in 32-bit mode and set the negatives to zeros by placing a black Fill layer with blending mode Lighten (not Lighter Colour) underneath the Soft Light layer.

Hey it worked!, Thanks a lot !

But, to be honest I don't quite get what is the general rule to follow  for the future... How do I know when a layer contains negative values ? Just because the same problem will show up again? Or that happens inevitably with certain layer types ?

And, above all, where do I have to place the black fill layer generally ? Under the upmost layer with negative values in the stack, is that right?

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue all the time on various occasions. I came here cause it's the first page on Google.

I get big areas of false colors or totaly blacked out, black squares all over the image that alter with the zoom level, adjustment layers just not doing anything. It happens pretty much on any composition I make, for as long as I own AP (>3 years?). So no update ever addressed this sadly.

I also whent through different acceleration settings and even different hardware, now I'm on a 8 core Ryzen 7 with one GTX 1080 and one RTX 2080, 32 GB of RAM etc., same happens on my 2 intel laptops etc.

It usually starts when dealing with multiple adjustment layers and masks. Once it began, restarting the program, saving as a new file, flattening down or even removing and re-adding these adjustment layers doesn't help. There's some serious issue underneath going on and I hope it will be address shortly.