You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto crashing when using NIK sharpeners

AP has started crashing when I use either of the sharpening tools in the NIK collection. If I just go there, make an adjustment and then come back quickly, it's fine. But if I play with the sliders for a couple minutes, AP crashes. (There's a Windows message that says AP has stopped working.) I first noticed it a couple days ago and it happens every time if I give it just a minute or so. I use several of the NIK tools regularly and this only happens with the sharpeners.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and AP 1.6.1.93. Is this a known problem? (I couldn't find any posts about it, but I also couldn't find any on the NeatImage crashes until I asked here and someone responded.)

• Staff
13 hours ago, ncJohn said:

I'm using Windows 8.1 and AP 1.6.1.93

Hi ncJohn,

I've just been using the Nik Plugins and the sharpening filters without issue.  I had the an image open for at least 5 minutes, playing with the sliders and go no crash.  You are running a slightly out of date version of Affinity Photo.  The current release is 1.6.2.7 so i'd suggest downloading the update from here:

https://affinity.store/en-us/update/windows/photo/1/

Once you've got the update installed, try again with the Nik collection

I had read that the only change from version 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 was the social media links so I didn't bother with it. At any rate, I downloaded the new version and it still crashed. I had to play with the sharpener a little longer (might have been 5 minutes) but it did. Here is the crash notice.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Staff
55 minutes ago, ncJohn said:

I had read that the only change from version 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 was the social media links so I didn't bother with it.

That is true, but as it was working for me it was the only difference between our versions of Affinity.  I'm not in the office till Monday so don't have access to a Windows machine until then, but will do some testing on my Mac just to see what happens.  Is it a RAW file you are working with or just a standard JPG/Image type?  

Also if you can check for a crash log by looking in this folder:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

And zipping up the contents and posting it here would help.

It was an afphoto file, so just an image file, with a pixel layer taken into the plug-in.

This crash report is from January 1, it's the most recent one that was there; I don't remember when the crashing started.

Now, I've played with it some more and found this: I had a file opened in NIK for almost an hour and it didn't crash. I didn't play with it, I just moved some sliders briefly and then left it. I went back later and did it again. Finally I saved it back to AP and everything was fine. But when the crashes happened, I was experimenting, moving sliders around to see what effects different settings cause, back and forth, back and forth, change, change, change. (I look for effects, not necessarily realism, in my work.) It's in the middle of doing this that the crashes happen. It's kind of like maybe NIK or AP buffers all the changes until the file is saved, and some buffer filled up and then boom! What do you think of that idea?

f1be3b57-37ef-47a5-a4cb-2f084e6ee62f.zip