You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm doing Lesson 7 in the Affinity Photo Workbook, Mother of Millions, and I'm supposed to use the sources panel to clone, but it disappeared and I can't find it again. I go to View> Studio> Sources ..but there's nothing there. Do you only have one chance with the sources when dealing with focus merge?

Hmm don't have that workbook and seldom tried to use focus merge at all, so can only tell from other source panel usage/tryouts. Normally the source panel should be accessable again (pop up) after a dismiss, if you reactivate it again via the studio view menu. - Though if it accidentally have been anchored into the right side tab panels, you would have to look if it maybe possibly is already contained there under some selection panel tab.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I'm having the same issue. When I complete a Focus Merge the Source Panel disappears!

It worked yesterday. I did ten or twelve focus stack merges with no issues.

Also, the alignment is quite poor today, as you can see below.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 5.01.49 PM.png

20 hours ago, oceanpearls said:

I go to View> Studio> Sources ..but there's nothing there.

Do you mean the "Sources" item is missing from the Studio submenu or something else? If it is missing, do you still see the items below it like Styles, Swatches, Transform, Reset Studio, etc.?

If the other items are also not shown, it probably means you need to scroll down in the submenu because your screen is too short to display all of the submenu items at once.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

This action may be by design in case the original source files for the focus merge are no longer present when the file is  reopened or the source panel is closed, I have raised this with our developers if this action is correct or needs amending

15 minutes ago, DWright said:

This action may be by design in case the original source files for the focus merge are no longer present when the file is  reopened or the source panel is closed, I have raised this with our developers if this action is correct or needs amending

FWIW, for me the Sources panel always can be made visible by ticking the View > Studio > Sources menu item, even when it is empty & there is no document currently open in Affinity Photo.  I am using v1.6.6 on a Mac running 10.13.3.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I cannot find sources again like that. The Sources panel vanishes and the Drop Down box in Studio/Source is empty.

It happens when I open View 200 per cent, then click the Hand tool to reposition the image.

I am using the Trial Version on my machine.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 8.07.07 AM.png

Ok so right when it's done focus merging (which took over 5 minutes) it shows the Sources Studio, but if you close it somehow when you open the Sources Studio again all the sources are gone and to get them back you have to re-focus merge the entire image all over again.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 1.20.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 1.27.51 PM.png

Seems the sources panel contents is on a close then emptied after the focus merge process has taken place.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The Sources panel also seems to get emptied if you save the document. It is not there when you re-load it. I thought that saving as .afphoto was supposed to save all relevant information.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

For me, the workaround to the Sources  panel  issue is to not use buttons to zoom or the hand to drag the image.

If I use my mouse pad on my Macbook to do those functions  I can work away to the end of the project with no issues.

I find if I batch crop my images in XN Convert software before focus merging I get very fast and good results.

3 hours ago, owenr said:

Note that closing the document will discard the sources, so they will not be available when the doc is reopened.

Yes, I have discovered that. It just seems to go against the stated advantages of using the.afphoto format.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 2/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, owenr said:

"You should only need to reactivate the Clone Brush Tool (or Healing Brush Tool) to repopulate the Sources panel with the source images that were merged.

Note that closing the document will discard the sources, so they will not be available when the doc is reopened."

Thanks Owen. That is good to know. Puzzle solved for me at least :)

On 2/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, owenr said:

• 2 months later...

I am struggling with "Mother of Millions" in the workbook as well. The sources list disappears as soon as I click the zoom tool. The panel is there but it's empty. I have a hi-res 24" monitor but there's no way I can edit the stack accurately without zooming. This lesson involves cloning out halos, and it's not possible to zoom in to see the halos and go back to sources to clone from, so it's not possible to complete this lesson.

I can replicate this easily. New focus merge, select any files, when the source list populates, click on any tool, and "poof". The source panel is empty. It doesn't matter how many images in the stack.

I searched the bug forum but did not see this mentioned. Is this a known issue being worked on?

MacBook Air, 1.7GHz Core i7, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB,  8GB ram, High Sierra 10.13.4, Affinity Photo 1.6.7

• 1 month later...

I face the same problem also. First, sources are there. But if you have to discontinue work and iMac goes to sleep, after wakeup, files in sources are lost and you must start over, what is quite annoying.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, kjs said:

Ok so right when it's done focus merging (which took over 5 minutes) it shows the Sources Studio, but if you close it somehow when you open the Sources Studio again all the sources are gone and to get them back you have to re-focus merge the entire image all over again.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 1.20.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 1.27.51 PM.png

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Unfortunately not. After Mac was asleep the sources had also disappeared. Strange is: it depends how long sleeping phase was. FYC: Affinity Photo always open, never closed. Also during sleep of Mac of course.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, owenr said:

Did the solution I posted earlier not work for you?

Activating the Clone Brush Tool or Healing Brush Tool should repopulate the Sources panel, but closing the document will permanently discard the sources.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

@owenr,  working with raw files such as RAF from an e.g X-T2 slows down the manual corrections process extremely when switching between source layers - it feels like infinity to switch between them.

FYC: Activity monitor shows almost empty memory - which could be used to unpack the raw images for faster edit speed.

If I export first to JPG and load them into focus merging, this is way faster. But I get rid of editing capabilities on finalised focus merged image.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

To make it clear, what I am missing, FYC attached screenshot

1262456533_roland-bash134382018-06-0114-18-45.thumb.jpg.5751db8a24395e028ff6d5b33007e054.jpg

This is how other programs do during runtime of batch processes, it the computer goes to sleep - and it will - you must start all over and this is super annoying:

1708396626_roland-bash134382018-06-0114-24-00.thumb.jpg.4add6e9d3678531bff1ddf3607b90c95.jpg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography