You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Depth Effect ignored

I loaded an image into Affinity Photo on my iPad, which was taken using the Depth Effect of the iPhone 7+. Somehow the original, unaltered version was loaded, which may be useful in some circumstances, but not in this case. iOS 11.2.5 doesn’t even show the unaltered version anywhere, so I’m puzzled how Affinity Photo got it.

is there a way to open the version processed by Apple’s Depth Effect? I don’t want to manually try to duplicate it. Just correct some lighting issues.

In the example below you can see the image shown in Apple Photos on right and the version loaded by Affinity...

262BFC51-9B1E-4956-A843-C1A85BD4996B.jpeg

Why not correct it in AP, copy it back to iPhone and see if the phone reapplies the background blur. I suspect you could get a better result doing the background blur in AP though.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi ChristopherTD and Welcome to the Forums,

I just tried this with a photo taken on my iPhone 8 Plus in Portrait mode (screenshot attached) and Affinity opened the image just fine.  I was loading it from Photos on the iPad after sharing it via AirDrop from my phone to the iPad. 

Did you use the standard camera app on the iPhone to take the photo or a 3rd party one?  How are you opening the image, importing from Photos or a cloud drive?

IMG_0317.jpg

Hi. 

I took the photo using the standard iPhone camera app and then opened it in Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro using the “Import from Photos” option.

I’m sure if I took the time I could replicate the depth effect in AP, but I’m trying to find out why the image was opened without the effect applied. In the “beta” phase of the Depth Effect Apple made the unaltered image available separately, but it’s now not saved anywhere visible. Though clearly the AP devs know how to strip off the depth effect and return to the original. Is this behaviour configurable?

• Staff

I'll have to see if someone in the office has an iPhone 7 Plus i can do a test with.  As for me, opening an image the same way as yourself and taken in the portrait mode from an iPhone 8 Plus, everything works as expected, i didn't replicated the background in Affinity.  We also haven't had any other reports of this happening, which i would of expected.

Was that photo you are editing taken with the Beta of IOS or with the release version? Also when you say 'depth effect' is that a separate setting on the iPhone 7 Plus?  On my 8 Plus, i have to go to portrait mode on the camera and then select a lighting effect which then blurs the background.

Yes, to clarify, it is taken with the PORTRAIT setting on iPhone 7+

i just tested it with another image and it has the same behaviour, the background isn’t blurred.

i am using release versions of iOS 11.2.5 on iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro

I think the behaviour is different in iPhone 8 models as the portrait and studio mode lighting effects are able to be applied afterwards. But not on iPhone 7+ alas. 

• Staff

Thanks for clarifying everything, Just wanted to make sure I can try to replicate it from scratch. 

The differences between the 7 and 8 must be why it works for me. I know we just ask Photos to send us an image and open what we get passed, be it JPG or RAW. If the 7 is storing the effect in a separate file that could be why it’s not being pulled in by Affinity. I don’t know enough about how the 7 plus creates the image.  

@Andy Somerfield would know more about the process and what’s happening here and hopefully won’t mind taking a look at this. Hope you don’t mind me tagging you in Andy, but I’m not sure what’s happening in the background for this to fail. All works fine on the 8 Plus in release and Beta.

• Staff
3 hours ago, Gerard Nijenbrinks said:

The first picture is inserted here directly from my Apple Photos, the second was first imported and then exported from Affinity to my Dropbox and then imported in this message. Both show the fake DOV unsharpness...

Thanks for your input and screenshots @Gerard Nijenbrinks which confirms it's working for your 7 Plus but sadly doesn't explain why it's not working for @ChristopherTD who is shooting on the 7 Plus and importing from Photos (same as you). 

@ChristopherTD If you could share a sample image, that would help.  

1 minute ago, stokerg said:

Thanks for your input and screenshots @Gerard Nijenbrinks which confirms it's working for your 7 Plus but sadly doesn't explain why it's not working for @ChristopherTD who is shooting on the 7 Plus and importing from Photos (same as you). 

@ChristopherTD If you could share a sample image, that would help.  

That's a pity indeed @stokerg, and I was aware of that. However, I thought it probably helped to determine that now the search for a solution and cause has to be more in @ChristopherTD's iPhone 7 Plus than in Affinity Photo, I guess.

• Staff
Just now, Gerard Nijenbrinks said:

However, I thought it probably helped to determine that now the search for a solution

And it has :)  so thank you, this is why we always encourage people to post here, as it's always good to see if the same problem happens for other people.  So please keep posting, even if it's just to confirm something does or doesn't work.  It all helps in the long run :) 

• 4 weeks later...

This issue has nothing to do with iphone7. When you take a portrait photo 2 separate photos get stored. When I import to Lightroom I get 2 photos, 1 with blurry background and one without. Obviously Affinity is importing the wrong photo and there is no option to choose. Since most people don’t have this issue then it looks like we would need help from the developers to determine how they choose which of the 2 photos to use. Can anyone help out?

When the Portrait setting was in beta Apple saved 2 images. It is no longer the case, you just see one in the library. You can edit the photo in Apple Photos and remove the effect, but the photos I am trying to open have the effect applied and that is what I expect to see in Affinity Photo. 

What seems to be happening is that Affinity Photo is requesting the untransformed image somehow, any adjustments, crops or other changes you have made in Apple’s editing tools are ignored. You can see this you cropping a photo then importing it into AP, you will get the uncropped image. 

I can see why this might be useful sometimes, but it would be nice if it was an option. 

Although Apple photos only shows one photo behind the scenes it’s clear that 2 photos are actually stored, the modified portrait one, and the untransformed one, like you point out. However, based on the lack of interest in this thread it looks like this behavior only affects a few people, namely you and me so far. Maybe we need to wipe out our iOS install and reload it from scratch to see if it makes a difference.

• 2 years later...

I think this has to do with the format of the saved image. I had this happen along time ago even in PS and I recall an ios setting to include the depth info so you can use it as a depth channel on lens blur. So I think the extra space saving format (forget its name- heic or something) does not bring the data along. 
Jim