You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

From what I can tell, the Mesh Warp Tool can be applied to the mask separately (via the 'Edit Mask' option or by selecting it first in the Layers panel), but I could not find a way to apply it to a Pixel layer & its mask simultaneously. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, machadodesign said:

When editing a layer that has a mask using the Mesh Warp tool, it only effects the image layer and not the mask which then makes the mask not align with the image and is completely worthless. Am I doing something wrong? This seems completely illogical.

Hm, masking and inverted masking and applying "transparancy (dry/wet) ito its mask, or to the layer or to the mesh-layer (as soon as not "applied even destructive filters are "layers"...... and as long as not applied also a fragile "mask"...

I do not know, too abstract for me: What do you want do do?

Does destructive filter like the mesh-tool working on masks???? I think no! But i´m not sure.

However, NORMALLY you can brush out/brush in ANY effect (filter). But not for the mesh-tool. The mesh tool seems to be "deeper" than a normal filter (you have to apply or discard all changes).

The mesh-tool is more like work in another PERSONA, do not mixmatch with "normal" steps of work!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

If you are working on full size images you can try this

Apply the Mesh Warp to the image and click Apply

Then select the Mask layer in the Layers panel and under the Filters menu the 1st option will be Repeat Mesh Warp

Which will apply the same warp to the Mask Layer

If working with images (or objects) that are smaller then the canvas, you first need to restrict the mask to the size of the placed image (or object) then do the above

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/31/2018 at 1:18 PM, machadodesign said:

When editing a layer that has a mask using the Mesh Warp tool, it only effects the image layer and not the mask which then makes the mask not align with the image and is completely worthless. Am I doing something wrong? This seems completely illogical.

This one caught me today.  I spent considerable time constructing a mask for an image and was shocked when the Warp tool only modified the image.Why would you ever want to warp an image without making the same change to the layer mask?

Yes, but there is a solution.

Place the layer in a group. (select your layer, press Ctrl+G)

But this is merge layer to the mask... 😓

58 minutes ago, telemax said:

Yes, but there is a solution.

Place the layer in a group. (select your layer, press Ctrl+G)

But this is merge layer to the mask... 😓

You're right...VERY destructive. I'd like something a bit more friendly.

There is another way

1. Rasterize. (right click on layer) 

2. Warp. (layer also will merge with mask)

3. Extract mask from alpha channel.

Extract_Alpha.png