You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've created a vector mask, for a vector, to make the image look degraded. How do I then combine this mask/aged look effect, so I get one complete vector layer, so I can scale and resize with no loss?

Am I missing something obvious?

Edit: 'Distressed Look' Chapter in Affinity Workbook p.324 should help. Any more pointers though, do let me know.

Edited by Kiarian
additional information regarding topic

Hi Kieran

If it is just vector objects as in the tutorial on the specified page: 

Simple route is to

1. Place the 'distressed' object above your image/other vector object in Layers

2. Right Click on object/group to use as distress effect (top object) and select Mask to Below

There are other methods you can use: have a look at this thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/54176-textured-lines/#comment-274983

hope it helps:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

2 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Kiarian,

Would it be possible for you to provide the file in question so I can look into this further for you?

C

I'm kind of getting there. Working through the Work Book on this. I still have a few questions though.

2 hours ago, Stuart_R said:

Hi Kieran

If it is just vector objects as in the tutorial on the specified page: 

Simple route is to

1. Place the 'distressed' object above your image/other vector object in Layers

2. Right Click on object/group to use as distress effect (top object) and select Mask to Below

There are other methods you can use: have a look at this thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/54176-textured-lines/#comment-274983

hope it helps:)

Starting to understand it better. What I'm stuck on now is how do I flatten everything to make a vector based stamp? For example, I want the text, with the distressed vectors and jagged edges all white (to cut out of image). Would that be an 'expand stroke' then subtract from object?

If wanted all the vectors white just group them in layers panel and make the group white or erase or anything else that usually works form me....but I may be missing what you are trying to achieve.

Could you upload the file you created? 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

7 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Kiarian,

Would it be possible for you to provide the file in question so I can look into this further for you?

C

1 hour ago, Stuart_R said:

If wanted all the vectors white just group them in layers panel and make the group white or erase or anything else that usually works form me....but I may be missing what you are trying to achieve.

Could you upload the file you created? 

Hi Callum & Stuart R,
I've been experimenting with this all evening. Understanding it to a point. With this first example, the circles inside the circular badge were solid strokes, with no fill. Using a normal 'subtract' would result in the entire circle being subtracted. This is not what I wanted. I wanted just the outline of the circle to be cut away from the background. 
I expanded the stroke, then simply subtracted the expanded stroke (with no fill, either using standard subtract, or combine the two objects into a compound object, and selecting subtract for the expanded stroke).

With more complicated designs, this is where I am running into problems. I want the same effect with this design, taken from the Affinity Workbook. I'm having trouble combining everything to curves, keeping the distressed effect, and then subtracting it all from the main background.

1.png

2.png

• Staff

Hi Kiarian,

You are on the right track. If you want to end up with a flattened vector logo (that is, a single vector object) you will have to add or subtract shapes/textures/text whatever as necessary to reduce all the shapes to a single object. There's no other way around it.

Seems you already get there in the first image above. You have the logo as a single object. If you want to create a "stencil" from it you just have to subtract the logo from the red  square. Is the subtract boolean operation not working correctly for you when you try to do it?

34 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Kiarian,

You are on the right track. If you want to end up with a flattened vector logo (that is, a single vector object) you will have to add or subtract shapes/textures/text whatever as necessary to reduce all the shapes to a single object. There's no other way around it.

Seems you already get there in the first image above. You have the logo as a single object. If you want to create a "stencil" from it you just have to subtract the logo from the red  square. Is the subtract boolean operation not working correctly for you when you try to do it?

Hi MEB,

The first image is no problem. That's the effect I am after, so all good with that image. Where I am getting problems is in the second image. The logo has a duplicate of the logo nested underneath it, but with a jagged pen tool pressure setting, and under that there is the multiple speckles with an 'erase' setting on the layer, to give the appearance of chipping away at the original logo.

So, I want a stamp/stencil design of this. So all the information is cut out of the background, the same effect as the first image. 
How would I go about subtracting the jagged edge effect, and the distressed look multiple vectors from the logo? Is it a simple case of selecting the logo, inverting selection, then erasing the vectors outside the logo boundary, to then subtract from the logo?

See image attached.
3.thumb.png.ae423093b6d0f137d4149e5d15415a1d.png

• Staff

Hi Kiarian,

What you have to do is expand all the lines (speckles) that use a pressure profile to convert them into shapes using the Layer  Expand Stroke menu command (also change their Blend mode from Erase to Normal so you can see/work with them better). Then after all expanded, use an Add boolean operation to join all the resulting shapes (of the expanded lines) so they become a single object which you can then subtract from the main logo shape.

• Staff

Hi kiarian,

The confusion comes from the clipped shape (a slightly deformed and displaced outline of the logo) that in the original file is clipped to the solid colour version of the logo (step 1 on the file attached below) - you have to place it above the the solid colour logo in the layers panel (step 2), change the Blend mode from Erase to Normal (so you can see it better), convert it to shapes using the Layer ▸ Expand stroke menu command, then subtract if from the solid logo first (step 3). Finally subtract the vector texture from the resulting shape of the previous operation (step 4).

I've attached a file just to outline the steps described above (except flattening the texture since you already did it i've added it already flattened in the step 4 to keep things clear)). Enlarge the Layers panel so you can read the descriptions and display only one group at a time starting from bottom. There's a bug with the boolean operation on the step 5 (subtracting the texture) which leads to a few inaccuracies in the final shape. If it worked correctly you would end up with a flattened shape as you wanted. There's probably ways to work around this and get the correct result but the attached file is just to show the process.

laceframe_logo_05_distressed_process.afdesign

Hi Meb, 

Thanks for picking it up... I was distracted by feathered dinosaurs last night!

I have just been looking at your file example with the stacked layers...It's just a suggestion but would it not be better to create the 'cutter' using just the base layer shape (excluding shadow effects) for the object to be 'cut' and then re-overlay the shadow on top ...if You know what I mean!...

It would keep the final object [layer 5] much cleaner and try to keep the number of nodes down

I have been having a few issues with punching out complex objects with multiple shapes

• Staff

Hi Stuart_R

I think the point here is to get a flattened vector shape - a single object - from all the layers Kiarian highlighted from the original file of the workbook in his screenshot a few posts above.

The file i've attached is not intended to be viewed as stacked layers. Each group represent a step towards the final goal - so you should display a single group at a time and check what i've changed inside, unless i've missed your point...

Thanks for the steps MEB. Yes this is what I'm after. The design in negative space, or the opposite as a solid virtual stamp so to speak.
Working through them now. I also got to the same point with the bugged overlapping nodes. As well as the blend mode set to 'erase'. I was also getting confused what layer should be subtracted, as well as the 'expand stroke' command. I'll keep practising, as I really want to nail this down.

See attached images to illustrate for anyone still confused. The images on the left show a solid stamp, where you can edit the colour to whatever you choose, and the images on the right show the image subtracted, in negative space, with colour flooding around it.

8.png