You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In a document with some "Draw personas" and some "Pixel personas" layers ( hm, what does "personas" stand for?) to me it appears to be difficult to select some objects by clicking on its visual in the documents page view. Yes, I can click through the "Layers" panel – but I wonder if I am doing any wrong when I try to select an(y) object just visually on its documents area view.

–>   Is it possible to achieve/select any object (= child layer) on a documents 'paper'/'screen' view?

–>   If yes: how? – Any keys to hit while clicking?

It seems it helps/i need to switch "personas" to enable one or the other object selection in the documents view. – Is this intended?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Thomaso, I have experienced this as well and wondered if it was the apps way of making sure you don't accidentally select the wrong layer.  I'm not sure if it's better this way or better to be able to select anything you want. I'm more apt to think I'd like to be able to select what I want, when I want and can lock the layers I don't want to select.  In illustrator if you "option-click" on a layer lock icon you lock all layers but the layer you have selected which is a nice option to have... especially in a complex, multi layered document.

...which after typing this gets us back to the current behaviour of only unlocking the layer you're on... but still I think I'd like to have the choice. Maybe a preference toggle could work here?

• Staff

Hey guys,

There is a little toggle button - at the bottom left of the layers panel - called "Edit All Layers". If you switch this on, I think it will behave as you expect :)

You can also hold the Cmd key to make click / drag selection select child objects of groups, etc.

Thanks,

AndyS

>  a little toggle button - at the bottom left of the layers panel

Andy, yes, exactly the feature I was looking for. But you continued:

>  You can also hold the Cmd key to make click / drag selection select child objects of groups, etc.

Nope, to me it is the Option key – not Cmd. ... And/but it works like a charm! ; )

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Cheers Andy, I thought that meant something else like it temporarily linked all of the layers incase you wanted perform an edit across all layers...

... and command is working here for me as Andy says for selecting child objects in a group... nice.

and... double clicking a child object in a group seems to do the same thing... nice x 2.