You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's this icon on the brush studio for?

Upper right corner of the brush studio (not the icon to add brushes) but right below it.  I'm using the Mac version and it doesn't do anything for me.  

Looking for a way to display only the thumbnail and not the brush strokes.  I guess this is not yet possible.  But curious of what that icon is for.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.06.11 AM.png

Gee, I guess I need to get another cup of coffee !!  Only after I read your post, I realized I've used it many times to modify brush properties  :D   Thanks, Callum

Any ideas of how to display just the icon and not the brush stroke?  Is this a feature that Serif is considering?

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

Any ideas of how to display just the icon and not the brush stroke? 

Maybe  i need a cup of coffee too, or you are writing in a more crypto style than me? 

I geuess you mean the view of the brush-"presets"? You just want to show its small "symbol" not the line-preview for displaying more brushes in a role? 

AFAIK there is no way to personalize this. BTW the whole preset system is suboptimal. Do not trying anything of the following - it also does not exit yet:

There is:

- no way to change / order / move a style (just rename, but no apha-order...)

- no way to call a preset DIRECT from an adjustment-layer-box

- no gradient-presets (avaiable on all „gradient-stationes“ directly)

- no way to „preset“ a filter, no filter-gallery (showing all my presets, which collapse when mouseover)

- and there are no subcategories/folder for any preset-system

- there is no „global“ preset-manager which allows subcategories, batch rename, batch move, batch delete… as a central point for organizing ALL stuff in all preset-systemes and also to use as fire-up/launch-station.

(Just the macro-preset-system is a little bit as it should. I can drag and drop between categories, reorder inside a categorie and rename…

But here the look is not overview-friendly: Categories are smaller than single presets and the color category/content to near by eachother… and also: no subcategories... But even with this lacks, it is so far the best of all preset-systems in AP.

Apropos „Macro“. In the musician / DAW-world we know container as host for different FX (filters). For example: I often use a combination of 2 filters and 3 adjustments. So i would put them into a container (group). On the first level of this group i get a „box“ with the parameter i have designed for tweaking. (Similar to design a parameter for a macro).The difference to a macro would be: A macro-tweak-interface get lost after apply. But this „container (group)“ would stay as long i wished and i could later readjust as i want (of course it's not compatible with destructive filters).

And i could create and later edit this container in a much easier way than recording/edit a macro. 

For brushes: I would love to have an option: Hold current brush settings (size, hardness...), just change the texture! So i could trash lot of redundancy brushes, which would make the library more overview/faster. Also the big preview for brushes could be more compact, instead show more brushes in a row (like for styles) - but it would be nice to see just a temporarily dedicated bigger overview when mouseover a brush in the selection-panel (and IF this big-view-feature is checked).

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

4 hours ago, Silvia said:

Any ideas of how to display just the icon and not the brush stroke?  Is this a feature that Serif is considering?

Some brushes have neither a distinctive icon nor a distinctive name in the Brushes panel, & some of the icons are so faint they are barely visible. Because of that, I wonder if an icon-only view would be very useable.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

True yet photoshop offers the display I’m looking for and it’s super useful if you have lots of brushes, which I do, as I’m trying to more artistic looks and learn digital panting.  It’s not one or the other, but the option to display the tools in a way that suits different users better.  The way they are now, I can barely see 6-7 brushes in a category  of brushes  in my 13” laptop, unless I move the panel away, which then takes a lot of real estate in my workspace.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Some brushes have neither a distinctive icon nor a distinctive name in the Brushes panel, & some of the icons are so faint they are barely visible. Because of that, I wonder if an icon-only view would be very useable.

<<I guess you mean the view of the brush-"presets"? You just want to show its small "symbol" not the line-preview for displaying more brushes in a role?  >>. Exactly, I d9nt need to see all those brush strokes for most brushes.  More display preferences just as with PS brushes.

I too would like to see a better way of moving and organizing brushes.    I’m going to create a favorites category for now.

• 9 months later...