Inspirimental

PNG Files with transparency inside a CMYK creates different colored backgrounds on export for some PDF/X formats

Hi Affinity Team,

I am having some issues with PNGs with transparency. If I add these PNGs inside a CMYK document and export them as PDF I get different colors behind the transparency of the PNG. This happens when I use the format PDF/X-1a:2003 or PDF/X-3:2003. If I use the PDF/X-4 the transparency problem does NOT occur. I am also having these issues with other pixel graphics as well, when I use blend modes like multiply.

Please check the files attached to see what I mean.

It would be great to fix this issue since most professional printer would like to have files with the PDF/X-3:2003 format.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Tim

test.afdesign

Test.pdf

Hi Inspirimental,

I believe this is just a fault of the Mac Preview app showing the PDF. If you load it in Acrobat you will see the PDF looks fine - I'd be more trusting of Acrobat's render than I would with Preview.

Screenshot 2018-01-31 08.23.46.png

Hi @Sean P,

thanks for responding.

Unfortunately if I would have had printed this pdf-file at an online printer, the wrong colored square would have been printed as well.

How do I know?

Attached please find a printed folder that just had a vectored logo on a background color. You can see the surrounding, which wasn't there in the Affinity File. But exporting it to PDF/X-3:2003 transforms parts of the artboard to pixel-graphics. And at that process something is not converting right.

IMG_3640.jpg

Not a problem! Really sorry your print is showing differences. Looking further into it I can see there is some issues regarding colour profiling going on with flattened transparency. I'll get this passed on to development. However would you also be able to attach both the PDF and AFDesign file of your King's Bread design you sent off please? You can use this link to upload it our internal Dropbox account should you not wish to share it publicly:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/uo4OqkV5RzarRTZxVLIo

Thanks for the files. Did you find the King's Bread PDF showing incorrectly in preview at all? For me it displays without the outline your original PDF shows. However obviously the final product from the printers is incorrectly matched!

Just to help you in the the reason the vector objects are being converted to images is because they have Filter Effects applied (even though it is a simple recolour one). Not using these will stop it being converted to an image.

Thanks @Sean P for the reply.

I do understand the problem with the colored vectors with applied filter effects. I can correct that and my problem with this flyer is solved.

However, in the following case it doesn't solve my problem.

Attached you'll find a folder, which I had to export to a pdf-file with PDF/X-3:2003. If you look at the PDF in preview, you'll see these weird color frames around the campers. These have also been printed by the online printer. They only except PDF/X-3:2003.

For your information: The images of the campers actually have a white background and I use a blend mode to make the white background transparent on the blue.

Workarounds so far:

1. If do the same operation in Illustrator and export it to PDF/X-3:2003, I do not get this slight color change. (but who wants to use illustrator?! ;) )

2. If I rasterize the image of the campers together with the blue background, the color ist fine. But if there are several images that need to be rasterized with the background, this can be a pain in the ass.

So the problem is still, exporting to PDF/X-3:2003 creates slightly different colors, if there are blend modes on an image or if the image has transparency.

If I can provide more information, please let me know.

Tim

2018 Faltblatt Vermietung Innen.afdesign

2018 Faltblatt Vermietung Innen.pdf

The problem is with the on-line print establishment you are using. Not that this information helps per se...

If you check in Acrobat, the 15% cyan goes all the way to the color of the camper vans. The Preview application most often has issues with displaying certain (many/most) transparency types.

If the area around what becomes an image due to effects when sitting upon a colored vector, or begins as an image with transparency on a colored vector and is flattened together in a PDF is correct in Acrobat and yet still prints as a discolored area always points to an issue at the print vendor.

One cause of this when the color values are the same where the transparency is flattened and where it is not is often due to a difference in the output color profile. It's a mis-match between the profile in the PDF and the print vendor in that case. The mis-match can also happen if they strip out profiles before printing, or actually convert from the profile in the PDF to another.

I took a quick look at the Flyeralarm web site, in particular to the PDF requirements. It's nice they say that an output intent needs to be specified (which is the profile I am referring to above), but they do not actually list which one. I assume it is a FOGRA profile, but which one? Have they communicated this to you?

Mike

Hi @MikeW,

thanks again for keeping the discussion alive. Flyeralarm told me to use the profile ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI).

To try things out I just ordered a small amount of business cards. Attached please find the pdf and affinity file that I used.

I'll post images as soon as I get the printed product.

Tim

bc_check.afdesign

bc_check.pdf