JLeonard

Refine Selection Bug - Affinity Designer

Hi, 

Having a problem with Refine Selection, specifically with masks. I click on it and then get beach-balled and have to quit Affinity Designer. Anyone else having similar problems? Anything I can do? It's happened with several different documents so it's not limited to the one I'm using. 

Thoughts? Help? 

J

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 12.51.51 PM.png

Hey JLeonard,

I'm sure I've seen this a few times but not since the release of 1.6. What version are you working on? Are you working in the Mac App Store version or beta? If it is happening across multiple documents, can you tell me what colour format you are working in? 

Do you recall a time when it was working without issue? It might be worth trying a 'soft reset'. You can do this by holding down ctrl when you launch the app. Just check the option for Clear User Defaults and then click Clear at the bottom.

Failing that, can you download the beta (if you aren't already using it) and see if that works? 

Hey Chris, 

1.6 is my version. And it's the Mac App Store version. The color format for the document is CMYK-8. 

I tried the soft reset (nice to know how to do it) but that didn't help. I'll give beta a try. 

Thanks! 

Sorry about the wrong beta link. Did you manage to find the Designer 1.6.1 beta 3? 

Would you be able to attach a document for me? Also, what are your Mac specs? Have you tried changing the Display mode from Preferences > Performance? 

I did find the Designer Beta and am using it. Specs are: MacBook Pro, 13" |  Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | Memory:  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I fiddled around with the preferences trying to promote speed rather than optimal image. Not sure if it helped. I've uploaded a file. This isn't the one that I need to work with the refine mask, but I used a mask in this, so it should illustrate what I'm having difficulty with. None of the options in there will work - feather, ramp, etc. I am a newbie, so I could be using it wrong. 

Thanks for the help. 

Cinderella.afdesign

Hi JLeonard,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Refine Mask command only works on raster based selections/masks. You are trying to apply it to a vector based mask which you have created with the Pen tool (note your mask is identified as Curve between parenthesis in the Layers panel). That's the reason why it's doesn't work. To adjust the vector mask, click on its thumbnail in the Layers panel to select it, change to the Node Tool and adjust the nodes of the shape as you see fit to adjust the mask.