You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6.1 - Beta 3)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Mac Affinity Designer [from Mac App Store]

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This beta is an iteration of the current App Store release and should be used in preference to the App Store release, if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Fix for failures when using compound objects inside groups with Constraints set on them.
  • Font support improvements - specifically relating to fonts which substitute spaces or have truncated Unicode CMAP tables.
  • Transparent TGA import support.
  • Fix for deleting a node of a bitmap fill causing crash.
  • Improved pixel painting smoothing. Any pixel-based painting tools should now have better smoothing by default.
  • Fix for combo boxes causing crashes for certain users on High Sierra.
  • Fix for exporting JPEG automatically choosing to export clips as paths which is a poor default and causes confusion.
  • Fix for text objects being created outside the hierarchy of the artboard they were supposed to be created in.
  • Fix for rotated text bounding boxes being incorrect and for disappearing text following Power-Duplicate.
  • Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once.
  • Fixed crashing bug when exporting certain large PSDs.
  • Fixed a number of UI memory leaks.
  • Added special case PSD import code for “SketchClub” PSD files (they should fix this!).
  • Fixed PSD export of Fill layers.
  • Fixed UI labels on macOS versions prior to Mavericks.
  • SVG import can now handle gradients with missing x1 or y1 values.
  • Assorted PDF export improvements.
  • Localisation improvements.
  • Paste and file-drop of PDF format files will now honour the DPI, as per File->Place.
  • Fix for marching ants not showing on a rotated canvas.
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks.

Any idea when we will see the ability for contour / offset, or ability to shape art text (while still maintaining it as text, as opposed to converted to curves)?

Still hoping that these features are coming, I miss them terribly!

Many thanks, Matt!

1) Is it possible to add 'Rename layer' shortcut?

2) Question about 'Combine' command.

'Combine' toolbar panel button creates solid curve from multiple shapes but 'Combine' shortcut command produces 'compound' from them.

Is it possible to make this 'Combine' shortcut produce curve like toolbar button does?

Cheers

Vitaliy

For clarity: ``This beta is an iteration of the current App Store release and should be used in preference to the App Store release, if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.''

Change to: ``This beta is an iteration of the current App Store release, and if you are affected by any of the issues listed below, it should be instead.

• Staff

@mdriftmeyer

There is no reason to change it. You obviously understand it to have rewritten it and no one else in this thread or any previous customer beta thread has asked what it means, but if they do I'll be sure to point them at your post. Please keep this thread relevant to the contents of the beta and not the English skills of one of the most talented vector graphics programmers on the planet. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Korean hangul input still fails. I look forward to the day this is fixed, as I am tired of having to jump through my own butthole to get Korean-language text into a design. Any leads on what you've changed as between 1.6 and 1.5 that has caused the program to stop correctly handling Korean text?

• Staff
1 hour ago, Brendon Carr said:

Korean hangul input still fails. I look forward to the day this is fixed, as I am tired of having to jump through my own butthole to get Korean-language text into a design. Any leads on what you've changed as between 1.6 and 1.5 that has caused the program to stop correctly handling Korean text?

I've just had a word with the team and as far as we're aware it's not a 'Affinity 1.5 vs Affinity 1.6' thing, it's actually to do with upgrading to High Sierra? I don't know if this sounds like it's possible from your experiences? One of our team said he was investigating something the other day and found that setting the text input language to something else and then back to Korean it suddenly started working again. We're really not sure what's happening as we also have the issue that we don't really know what we're looking at and also we're not sure exactly which issue you're seeing. I know you've been wanting this fixed for some time but would you please help me by telling me: Are you running High Sierra? Have you used Affinity 1.5 on High Sierra and definitely seen it working? Exactly what is it you're trying to enter and with what language settings? What are you seeing as a result and what should you have seen?

If it's something we can fix, we'll definitely try our best to fix it. Thanks again for your support and patience :)

Matt

Edited to add: Apparently, the team member I was speaking to said he was actually investigating based on your reports and that you have already told us you concurrently updated Affinity and macOS simultaneously. In which case, I can confirm that other users have reported that 1.6 works for them on Sierra, but not on High Sierra with Korean Hangul input. We're going to look at forcing the input language to be validated at certain times - essentially a hack that should not be necessary, but may provoke the system to work correctly? Thanks again, Matt

I guess it's possible that High Sierra broke Korean input. However, all my other applications still correctly handle Korean text on High Sierra. Only Affinity 1.6 has this problem for me. I'd love to test 1.5 on High Sierra, but when I asked you in November how to downgrade back to 1.5 you told me it was no longer possible. If you can make 1.5 available to me I'll be glad to install and verify whether the Korean input is broken on 1.5.

The Korean users still waiting your company to fix this issue. This issue has been shown for more than 3 months.

I just cannot believe, this is not been fixed yet. all other programs like photoshop and Pixelmator don't have issue like Affinity does.

Please check this issue one more time and make some results. really tired of waiting.

Hi everyone, 

here is a pdf import bug: when placing the attached file (which contains a lot of data points) into an AD document (version 1.6.1, beta 3) some of data points' coordinates shift (look at the lower right edge). Additionally, hyphens in the text don't get displayed correctly. 

thanks for looking into it!

hubob

volcano_not_annotated.pdf

Hubob: are you sure to have the font Zapf Dingbats installed on your system? Your data points are entirely made of text, so if you don’t have this font, it is almost inevitable that Affinity Designer cannot render your document correctly after import. :)

(I must have a look if I can find a version of Zapf Dingbats on some of my hard drives to check this. I am pretty sure I had a license for this font at some point in time … hmm …)

Zapf-Dingbats.png.112ae3d6f4682458f06841cd0fcafb86.png

Thanks for the comment A_B_C, that's a good point! The weird thing is that the non-beta version of AD got it correctly, so I think Dingbats should be available on the system, but you're still right that this seems to be the root of the problem: when I suppress the use of Zapf Dingbats in the generation of the plot (using R) the import works correctly for the data points (the hyphens are still off, though). Thanks for your help!

ps. as a follow-up: I found this comment in the help of R regarding the use of Dingbats: 

Should small circles be rendered via the Dingbats font? Defaults to TRUE, which produces smaller and better output. Setting this to FALSE can work around font display problems in broken PDF viewers: although this font is one of the 14 guaranteed to be available in all PDF viewers, that guarantee is not always honoured. See the ‘Note’ for a possible fix for some viewers.

Maybe it might be worth to ensure the compatibility of AD with these font types?