firstdefence

Affinity Designer - Scrolling Grids?

I was just making a video to help out another Affinity Designer user and noticed the grid moved when I zoomed in and out, at first I thought the rectangle was moving so I zoomed out and the rectangle is static, see video attached, I assume grids aren't supposed to move so is this a bug?

High Seirra 10.13.3 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0

5a6f16f046a0f_ScrollingGrid.thumb.gif.a2d5875c6638b0f7e3c8b45c7bef55c5.gif

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

Cheers @Sean P

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

This should never have passed QA or even be advertised on your website as a feature. It just plain doesn't work.

Every *single time* I try to use Affinity for anything, my workflow is plagued by bugs or bad usability like the move by whole pixel stuff craziness. Every *single time* after launching Affinity Designer, I end up wasting my time reporting bugs or finding it's a known issue which patch will be release at no given date.

I am a beta user since your first public version and I must say that Affinity continues to disappoint years after years. When I see the issue we have at work with just licensing your software and those bugs, I really start to wonder if there is any leadership or product manager at Affinity. You do realize that most people don't care about adding new features if the basics are not working?

Grid_Useless.mov

Grid_Useless_2.mov

Just ran into this bug a well. Can't figure out how to align the grid to the top left of the document, when I move the artboard the grid jumps around.

5a8c5375c5838_screencast2018-02-2008-51-13.thumb.gif.ee3e5bbd098d059bc3fb4785abeaf0da.gif

@firstdefence, which Preferences > Performance - Display setting are you using? I see this problem when using Open GL but not Metal.

Using Metal, zooming & panning work perfectly -- no shift at all of the grid. Dragging an artboard like @huphtur did does show the grid shifting, but as soon as I release the mouse button, it snaps back to where it should be.

So maybe this is an Open GL rendering bug?

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Hi @R C-R something odd is going off here lol!

I was using Metal on my 2015, the 2011 system doesn't support Metal so that was set to OpenGL as default.

Steps took to test grid displacing.

• On the 2015 iMac I left it set to Metal and also ticked Use Integrated GPU and it worked fine no grid displacing whatsoever :)
  • So, I changed it to OpenGL with the Use Integrated GPU still checked and it behaved normally with no grid displacing O.o
  • Set it to OpenGL Basic with the Use Integrated GPU still checked and again no displacing.
  • Did all of the above with the Use Integrated GPU unchecked same result no displacing.
  • Even tried Software, reminded me of a windows system :P very jerky and laggy
  • Changed to Artboard and did all the above again same result no displacing
  • Did all of the above on my 2011 iMac minus the Metal option and same result, no displacing. o.O

Now that was an unexpected result.

Well I thought it was all over but...

I decided to make another video, bet you didn't see that one coming lol! Anyway I decided to add some text and when I did it whacked the grid out! running the history back bought the grid back into alignment but just deleting the text didn't.

Grid Issue.mp4

UPDATE: I tried the grid size I used in the original video and it did the same thing regardless of whether I was using Metal or OpenGL. So, to a point this issue appears to relate to the size of the grid, so I would ask people to try it out  with a grid size of 100mm x 60 mm on A4.

5a8db1fe091b4_ScreenShot.png.e9ea49726ce071ee865c45d3e03a7fc0.png

This is a melon twister for sure.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

UPDATE: I tried the grid size I used in the original video and it did the same thing regardless of whether I was using Metal or OpenGL. So, to a point this issue appears to relate to the size of the grid, so I would ask people to try it out  with a grid size of 100mm x 60 mm on A4.

I will try to make time to do that later. FWIW, I almost always set pixels as my unit of choice so all my tests were done with integer px grid spacings.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I think Ive found the issue, it's when the grid isn't uniform, so if you create a grid that has rectangular spaces eg. (100px by 200px) either vertically or horizontally you get this anomaly but if you create a uniform grid eg. (100px by 100px) this displacing doesn't occur. Adding gutters makes no difference, if the spaces are rectangular you get displacing, if square (Uniform) no displacing.  Changing the angle of the grid using such as custom two axis doesn't show the displacing, in fact none of the angled presets show displacing.

31 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Adding gutters makes no difference, if the spaces are rectangular you get displacing, if square (Uniform) no displacing.

Sure enough, that is what I see with Affinity Designer (retail or beta 5) set to use Open GL on my Mac. With it set to use Metal, no problems here.

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Sure enough, that is what I see with Affinity Designer (retail or beta 5) set to use Open GL on my Mac. With it set to use Metal, no problems here.

I think this nails the OpenGL issue eh!

I think it needs looking at thats for sure, also a slight tweak to the Grid and axis manager would be to have numerical input for the rotation not just scroll control, getting an accurate degree is a bit hit and miss.