Jump to content
firstdefence

Affinity Designer - Scrolling Grids?

Recommended Posts

I was just making a video to help out another Affinity Designer user and noticed the grid moved when I zoomed in and out, at first I thought the rectangle was moving so I zoomed out and the rectangle is static, see video attached, I assume grids aren't supposed to move so is this a bug?

High Seirra 10.13.3 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0

 

5a6f16f046a0f_ScrollingGrid.thumb.gif.a2d5875c6638b0f7e3c8b45c7bef55c5.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should never have passed QA or even be advertised on your website as a feature. It just plain doesn't work.

 

Every *single time* I try to use Affinity for anything, my workflow is plagued by bugs or bad usability like the move by whole pixel stuff craziness. Every *single time* after launching Affinity Designer, I end up wasting my time reporting bugs or finding it's a known issue which patch will be release at no given date.

 

I am a beta user since your first public version and I must say that Affinity continues to disappoint years after years. When I see the issue we have at work with just licensing your software and those bugs, I really start to wonder if there is any leadership or product manager at Affinity. You do realize that most people don't care about adding new features if the basics are not working?

Grid_Useless.mov

Grid_Useless_2.mov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@firstdefence, which Preferences > Performance - Display setting are you using? I see this problem when using Open GL but not Metal.

 

Using Metal, zooming & panning work perfectly -- no shift at all of the grid. Dragging an artboard like @huphtur did does show the grid shifting, but as soon as I release the mouse button, it snaps back to where it should be.

 

So maybe this is an Open GL rendering bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @R C-R something odd is going off here lol!

 

I was using Metal on my 2015, the 2011 system doesn't support Metal so that was set to OpenGL as default.

 

Steps took to test grid displacing.

  • On the 2015 iMac I left it set to Metal and also ticked Use Integrated GPU and it worked fine no grid displacing whatsoever :)
  • So, I changed it to OpenGL with the Use Integrated GPU still checked and it behaved normally with no grid displacing O.o
  • Set it to OpenGL Basic with the Use Integrated GPU still checked and again no displacing.
  • Did all of the above with the Use Integrated GPU unchecked same result no displacing.
  • Even tried Software, reminded me of a windows system :P very jerky and laggy
  • Changed to Artboard and did all the above again same result no displacing
  • Did all of the above on my 2011 iMac minus the Metal option and same result, no displacing. o.O

Now that was an unexpected result.

 

Well I thought it was all over but...

I decided to make another video, bet you didn't see that one coming lol! Anyway I decided to add some text and when I did it whacked the grid out! running the history back bought the grid back into alignment but just deleting the text didn't.

 

Grid Issue.mp4

 

UPDATE: I tried the grid size I used in the original video and it did the same thing regardless of whether I was using Metal or OpenGL. So, to a point this issue appears to relate to the size of the grid, so I would ask people to try it out  with a grid size of 100mm x 60 mm on A4.

 

5a8db1fe091b4_ScreenShot.png.e9ea49726ce071ee865c45d3e03a7fc0.png

 

This is a melon twister for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

UPDATE: I tried the grid size I used in the original video and it did the same thing regardless of whether I was using Metal or OpenGL. So, to a point this issue appears to relate to the size of the grid, so I would ask people to try it out  with a grid size of 100mm x 60 mm on A4.

I will try to make time to do that later. FWIW, I almost always set pixels as my unit of choice so all my tests were done with integer px grid spacings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ive found the issue, it's when the grid isn't uniform, so if you create a grid that has rectangular spaces eg. (100px by 200px) either vertically or horizontally you get this anomaly but if you create a uniform grid eg. (100px by 100px) this displacing doesn't occur. Adding gutters makes no difference, if the spaces are rectangular you get displacing, if square (Uniform) no displacing.  Changing the angle of the grid using such as custom two axis doesn't show the displacing, in fact none of the angled presets show displacing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Adding gutters makes no difference, if the spaces are rectangular you get displacing, if square (Uniform) no displacing.

Sure enough, that is what I see with Affinity Designer (retail or beta 5) set to use Open GL on my Mac. With it set to use Metal, no problems here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Sure enough, that is what I see with Affinity Designer (retail or beta 5) set to use Open GL on my Mac. With it set to use Metal, no problems here.

I think this nails the OpenGL issue eh!

 

I think it needs looking at thats for sure, also a slight tweak to the Grid and axis manager would be to have numerical input for the rotation not just scroll control, getting an accurate degree is a bit hit and miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 1:52 AM, Dams said:

This should never have passed QA or even be advertised on your website as a feature. It just plain doesn't work.

Every *single time* I try to use Affinity for anything, my workflow is plagued by bugs or bad usability like the move by whole pixel stuff craziness. Every *single time* after launching Affinity Designer, I end up wasting my time reporting bugs or finding it's a known issue which patch will be release at no given date.

I am a beta user since your first public version and I must say that Affinity continues to disappoint years after years. When I see the issue we have at work with just licensing your software and those bugs, I really start to wonder if there is any leadership or product manager at Affinity. You do realize that most people don't care about adding new features if the basics are not working?

I have this same issue every time I attempt to use Affinity.

I don't mind some of the "missing" features that exist in Adobe, etc. because Affinity attempts to simplify the apps to what makes more sense. Unfortunately, the features it does have are full of critical flaws that keep me from being able to use them.

I found this thread because I was having the same problem with my grids moving around if I zoom in or out. This thread is from 2018!

The idea that GRIDS MOVE AROUND IN A LAYOUT PROGRAM is completely insane. I don't understand why this ever was launched with that flaw. 

 

I'm not at a crossroads, if I choose to use Affinity Designer for any kind of layout, I should just expect that anything I drop on the page will not be aligned properly because of this problem. OR I can just go back to using Illustrator and deal with the typical problems that come with bloated adobe programs.

For now I have to stick to Adobe. The problem is, I paid for both Designer and Publisher, and was hoping to use them instead of Adobe. If this kind of basic thing isn't fixed by the time my license runs out, I'm definitely not going to renew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jacobhalton said:

The problem is, I paid for both Designer and Publisher, and was hoping to use them instead of Adobe. If this kind of basic thing isn't fixed by the time my license runs out, I'm definitely not going to renew.

??? The licenses do not "run out."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrolling grids are still an issue in Affinity Designer v1.7.3 on MacOS.

Just searched for this issue on Google because its driving me nuts, and saw that this thread had recently been necro'd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.