You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo capabilities questions

I've used Adobe products for well on 20 years starting with Photoshop. For the last several I've been content to stay on CS6 with zero interest in moving to CC due to the subscription format but I'm starting to feel a bit of pressure here and there. Needing to request interchange format for indesign files, Illustrator not opening things due to them being a later version and having to request EPS or AI saved to CS6. Little things like that. So I went to look at what it would take to upgrade and I got a pretty bad case of sticker shock. 

I've been evaluating what my actual needs are and what I use in my workflow on a regular basis and then looking for alternatives. Affinity Photo looks to be an almost perfect fit for my usage, but there's a few sticking points and I'm trying to decide whether they are going to be bigger issues in the future, especially if I'm handing off files to photoshop users, and I was wondering if any of you could help me understand several things better.

1. Is there a definitive list things the PSD import/export can/can't do? What Photoshop features are NOT supported by the PSD import/export? This is important to know what I'm losing from my existing PSDs and what will get stripped out when I export.
  2. Is there something similar to the distort transform in Photoshop? 
  3. Will there be some kind of support for importing smart objects in PSDs? I've seen threads dating back quite a while and it makes using templates built in PSDs... challenging. 
  4. Is there a way to reset embedded files to their original dimensions or see what percentage of the original they have been set to?
  5. Does Affinity Photo support Windows Ink on devices like the Surface Pro or will I need the wintab drivers?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the Affinity forum.

I can't answer your questions, unfortunately, I'm very much a "basic-level" user, but why not download the trial version of AP from this page (you will need to scroll to the very bottom of the page) and test it out?  You just need to be aware that it functions for only 10 days from the day you install it.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Hi Vaaish,

Welcome to the forums :)

I will answer your questions in the order they were asked!

1. We don't have a list of the exact features .PSD import/export supports I'm afraid.
  2. The transform tab towards the bottom right of the app has features similar to this.
  3. We are looking at a way to support Smart Objects in the future but we don't have any immediate solutions just yet.
  4. There is no way to do this as far as I'm aware.
  5.  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Windows Ink are you referring to this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Ink\ Affinity isn't part of that software suite unfortunately.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks for the responses!

I can't answer your questions, unfortunately, I'm very much a "basic-level" user, but why not download the trial version of AP from this page (you will need to scroll to the very bottom of the page) and test it out?  You just need to be aware that it functions for only 10 days from the day you install it.

@emmrecs01:I have downloaded the trial and I've been testing it extensively. It's done about 90% of my workflow perfectly fine but there were a few things that concerned me so I wanted to ask about them. :)

@Callum: Thanks for the responses! For number 2, I don't think that's quite what I mean. The Distort transform in Photoshop lets me drag points around individually. For example I could select the top right point and drag it around without moving any other points.  On number 5, what I was asking is whether Affinity Photo supports pen pressure/tilt through the Windows Ink protocol or through the older wintab. I'd test this myself, but my Surface Pro is currently down.