varlien

When holding command while dragging a shape in order to copy it. Why does the copy sit automatically on the top of the shape even if you undo your action?

I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or a feature in Affinity Designer. But every time I drag a shape while holding command in order to copy the shape (while moving it) and then undoing that action, I've noticed that Affinity doesn't really undo that action. It still leaves a copy of that shape on top of the previous shape. 

For example, I command drag a shape in order to copy and move it. After undoing that action, one would think the shape is gone but then it's not. This isn't the case in illustrator and it's always throwing me off because I end up with multiple copies of the shape on top of each other.

Any help or comment appreciated.

Thanks!

On Windows, when you ctrl-drag a shape the history records 3 actions: transform, duplicate, and transform. So, while you may think you did one thing, you actually did 3.

If you perform 1 undo, you've undone the last transform. You need another undo to remove the duplication. It sounds like Mac works the same way.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

Hey varlien,

I believe walt.farrell is on the money here. You get multiple History entries so you have to do a few undo's. You can just do a long mouse press without moving the cursor which will only perform a Transform and Duplicate so undoing that will remove the shape.

Hey Chris B and walt.farrell thanks for replying! That makes sense as to why it's doing that. 

Isn't that kind of confusing though coming from an Adobe Illustrator background. Illustrator assumes the action has a Transform plus Duplicate plus transform since you're kind of doing that as a one action (in some sense). I'm not physically doing a transform, duplicate, transform action step by step but kind of doing that as a one step (transform + duplicate + transform). So shouldnt undoing that action undo that whole action? I'm not sure if it's intuitive. 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, asan said:

varlien, try deleting the object you copied and moved instead of command Z.

Thanks! It's kinda what I'm doing now. I guess habits die hard when you've been using Adobe Illustrator for years! lol