You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have an image that requires a very small amount of straightening.
After straightening I need to slightly crop it to remove the blank edges on it's sides.
I then export the image to it's original folder. Now since the file name & file type are exactly the same I would expect the usual warning to appear about 'Do I want to replace the original file...' but it doesn't! It saves the file in the same location - same file name - same file type.
Slightly puzzled I compare the properties of each file (see attached).
As you can see there are differnces:
Original file: Saturation: Blank, Sharpness: blank.
Straightend file: Saturation: High saturation. Sharpness: Hard
So the question is: What is going on here?

Properties 1.jpg

Properties 2.jpg

Your exported file name is subtly different. Note that one is a .tif and the other a .tiff instead.

The Affinity applications use .tiff as a filetype on Windows for output, though you can override that during export by putting " marks around the filename/type and making the type whatever you want. If you did that, and changed it to "IMG_3165.tif" you'd probably get the warning you expected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah, that's interesting. So Affinity Photo only has the option to export TIFFs and so converts TIF's to TIFF's I wasn't aware there was a difference. I must look into the just what the differences are.

So I assume that also explains why sharpness & saturation values differ.

Thanks for spotting that.

There is no difference in the format, as far as I know. Only a difference in the spelling, tif vs tiff. But you may be seeing a difference in what EXIF data is recorded with the file. Do they appear different (other than the changes you made) if both are loaded into Affinity Photo again, or into another image viewer?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, D23 said:

Ah, that's interesting. So Affinity Photo only has the option to export TIFFs and so converts TIF's to TIFF's I wasn't aware there was a difference. I must look into the just what the differences are.

So I assume that also explains why sharpness & saturation values differ.

The Saturation and Sharpness entries come from the metadata the camera saved to the image when the photo was taken.  If you process the RAW image with Canon DPP for example, or view an out-of-camera JPEG, this information just isn't displayed in the File Information dialogue.  However if you open the image in Affinity Photo, Affinity Photo reads this metadata and adds it to the file information when you save it. That's why you're seeing a difference.

The equivalent of what you're seeing in the File Information dialogue to the Canon Picture Style settings in the camera are something like the following:

Sharpness: Normal (Camera Sharpness = 0)
Sharpness: Hard (Camera Sharpness = 1 to 7)

Saturation: Low Saturation (Camera Saturation = -4 to -1)
Saturation: Normal (Camera Saturation = 0)
Saturation: High Saturation (Camera Saturation = 1 to 4)

The only difference between *.tif and *.tiff is the extra letter in the file extension.  However as most other software uses *.tif some of us have requested the ability to save as *.tif HERE.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The Affinity applications use .tiff as a filetype on Windows for output, though you can override that during export by putting " marks around the filename/type and making the type whatever you want.

On Macs, for some weird reason the Affinity apps will not allow exporting a file with a .tif extension at all:

5a6e58f6eb8b6_notif.png.6538ee625520aa2f39f4c67a411e8178.png

This makes no sense, particularly considering that:

1. The Mac OS recognizes both .tiff & .tif as "TIFF Image" files:

5a6e5a4c5a369_tifftif.png.4b1dd7750fb617254f17500ecd46aea9.png

2. Finder searches on either "tif" or "tiff" both offer to search for the TIFF image kind & find files with both extensions.

3. Resource files with the .tif extension are not uncommon in Mac OS application packages, including some of Apple's older ones (like iWorks '08 & '09) or in the Python 2.7 framework or in various third party app resources, not to mention the 1000's of tiff image files that can be downloaded from various sites.

4. As mentioned, there is no difference at all in the format.

5. As with essentially every other image editing app on the planet, the Affinity ones support opening files with either extension via File > Open, by dragging & dropping them on the application icon, using the "Open with..." Finder option, & so on. In fact, in the Mac Affinity Info.plist files, both extensions are explicitly included in the "CFBundleTypeExtensions" array so they are registered with the OS as capable of opening them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There is no difference in the format, as far as I know. Only a difference in the spelling, tif vs tiff. But you may be seeing a difference in what EXIF data is recorded with the file. Do they appear different (other than the changes you made) if both are loaded into Affinity Photo again, or into another image viewer?

No, there is no difference when viewing the files.

7 hours ago, Sima said:

The Saturation and Sharpness entries come from the metadata the camera saved to the image when the photo was taken.  If you process the RAW image with Canon DPP for example, or view an out-of-camera JPEG, this information just isn't displayed in the File Information dialogue.  However if you open the image in Affinity Photo, Affinity Photo reads this metadata and adds it to the file information when you save it. That's why you're seeing a difference.

The equivalent of what you're seeing in the File Information dialogue to the Canon Picture Style settings in the camera are something like the following:

Sharpness: Normal (Camera Sharpness = 0)
Sharpness: Hard (Camera Sharpness = 1 to 7)

Saturation: Low Saturation (Camera Saturation = -4 to -1)
Saturation: Normal (Camera Saturation = 0)
Saturation: High Saturation (Camera Saturation = 1 to 4)

The only difference between *.tif and *.tiff is the extra letter in the file extension.  However as most other software uses *.tif some of us have requested the ability to save as *.tif HERE.

That seems to make sense. Thanks.