You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scale down selection in Draw Persona

Hey! :)

I've been working on my Screendesign and I've stumbled about a little problem: I imported the Font Awesome Assets and added a chevron into the Design. As the arrow itself is a bit too thick for my purposes I've searched for a way to make it a bit smaller (see attachment). The thickness should be like a normal letter (e. g. "v").

this.PNG

Photo or Designer?

Mac or PC?

That shape is effectively two rounded rectangles at 45° so a very simple overlay to do and then narrow it down a bit

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

That shape is effectively two rounded rectangles at 45°

The angle between them is actually 90°, of course, but the principle is the same. :)

so a very simple overlay to do and then narrow it down a bit

Alternatively, you could just make the two shapes narrower to begin with! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi PlayLikeLars,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no tool/feature to create an offset/outline from an existing shape directly, however you can work around this adding a stroke to the shape and using the stroke's width to define the offset value you want (if the stroke is aligned to the center, half the stroke will correspond to the offset value), then go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke to convert it into a shape and with the converted stroke layer selected go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Divide to separate the stoke into two shapes - one, smaller than the origional shape, corresponds to the inner stroke line - this is the one you want; the other is larger than the original shape and corresponds to the outer stroke line - you can delete this one. For the shape you posted above is probably simpler to recreate it from scratch.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

The angle between them is actually 90°, of course, but the principle is the same. :)

Alternatively, you could just make the two shapes narrower to begin with! ;)

Yes each rectangle is at 45° making 90° in total

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

made a quick gif to show how easy it is to make.

5a6e41d2a8395_createaVee.gif.b614d84dfac6c3a7c69e0564e786bbc7.gif

Yes each rectangle is at 45° making 90° in total

Thanks. Your animated GIF makes it clear where you were coming from. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)