You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Capture Images in Web Browser into Affinity Photo/Designer?

It may depend on what you mean by "images or contents in a Web Browser" and what OS and/or browser you use.

On Windows, using Firefox, alt-PrtScrn puts an image copy of the complete window of the current application into the clipboard, and you can paste from the clipboard into a document in the Affinity applications.

Or, if Firefox is displaying an image you like, you can right click on it, choose Copy Image, and paste that into a document in the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It may depend on what you mean by "images or contents in a Web Browser" and what OS and/or browser you use.

On Windows, using Firefox, alt-PrtScrn puts an image copy of the complete window of the current application into the clipboard, and you can paste from the clipboard into a document in the Affinity applications.

Or, if Firefox is displaying an image you like, you can right click on it, choose Copy Image, and paste that into a document in the Affinity applications.

I did print screen but it prints all my 3  screens,I just want to capture contents in my Browser in one of my monitor in Windows 10.

In windows, you could use the Snipping Tool. After sctivation, you can select  an area and then save it in a format of your choice. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

16 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

In windows, you could use the Snipping Tool. After sctivation, you can select  an area and then save it in a format of your choice. 

John

This works John, very useful, thanks.  Just wondering if Affinity Photo/Designer can do what Snipping Tool can?

36 minutes ago, codelearner said:

I did print screen but it prints all my 3  screens,I just want to capture contents in my Browser in one of my monitor in Windows 10.

Perhaps there's some option in Windows for how print screen works? It only seems to capture the active window on my system.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, codelearner said:

This works John, very useful.  Just wondering if Affinity Photo/Designer can do what Snipping Tool can?

No, they do not provide a tool for doing screen captures.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, codelearner said:

It would be nice if we will know this setting Walt. Thanks for the feedback Walt.

Ah.

What I said was to use alt-prtscrn. Using alt is what makes it capture the active window. This site has explanations of that, and several other methods for screen captures provided by Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, codelearner said:

@walt.farrellI'm thinking maybe cropping instead?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but certainly they can do cropping (using the crop tool) once you get the image into the application. I thought your question was how you get the image in the first place.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but certainly they can do cropping (using the crop tool) once you get the image into the application. I thought your question was how you get the image in the first place.

@walt.farrell yes you are correct there is a crop tool but it does not work outside of Affinity Photo or designer unlike the color picker.

The color picker works outside Affinity Photo or Designer? That's not my experience.

-- Walt
PC:

Not for me. Perhaps you could describe how you use Affinity's color picker to choose a color outside the application's window? That could be interesting.

-- Walt
PC:

27 minutes ago, codelearner said:

@walt.farrell yes you are correct there is a crop tool but it does not work outside of Affinity Photo or designer unlike the color picker.

Well a basic screen capture tool would need implementation dependent more functionality from the underlaying screen windowing system, ideally it would then have to determine window sizes, orientations or offer free selection rects for underlaying screen regions...and so on. There are other specialized tools like Snagit and Monosnap etc. which offer this functionality.

Web browsers in turn mostly know on their own to handle their shown contents, either they can capture the visable page and/or also the whole rendered (even non visable) contents here and offer to save that into a pixel file or the pasteboard.

The color picker has it implementation dependent easier here, since it only has to determine an underlayed small predefined pixel area and takes the initial color values out of that one, these are then converted and shown up as other color model values too (RGB dec, hex, oct etc.). The AD/AP one can be used in an overfloating way, aka meaning it can read/capture the underlayed pixel value also from outside of the own app dimensions somewhere on the screen.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well a basic screen capture tool would need implementation dependent more functionality from the underlaying screen windowing system, ideally it would then have to determine window sizes, orientations or offer free selection rects for underlaying screen regions...and so on. There are other specialized tools like Snagit and Monosnap etc. which offer this functionality.

Web browsers in turn mostly know on their own to handle their shown contents, either they can capture the visable page and/or also the whole rendered (even non visable) contents here and offer to save that into a pixel file or the pasteboard.

The color picker has it implementation dependent easier here, since it only has to determine an underlayed small predefined pixel area and takes the initial color values out of that one, these are then converted and shown up as other color model values too (RGB dec, hex, oct etc.). The AD/AP one can be used in an overfloating way, aka meaning it can read/capture the underlayed pixel value also from outside of the own app dimensions somewhere on the screen.

@v_kyr so you think it would be unrealistic for screen capture and/or crop into Affinity feature request?  Just wondering about what you think about this. 

Honestly there are more important things an image manipulation or vector manipulation software should do here, I personally won't expect those to offer the functionality or being able to replace other dedicated tools which are entirely specialized on these capture or screen recording authoring tasks. - In short, I won't expect AP/AD to offer here too what Snagit or other dedicated tools of that domain offer.

If I personally need such funtionality I take a dedicated tool for such stuff, since there isn't and never will be that one tool which can do and handle it all!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not for me. Perhaps you could describe how you use Affinity's color picker to choose a color outside the application's window? That could be interesting.

@walt.farrell I use a mac but I assume it's the same for Windows.  The color picker, not the eyedropper tool, works anywhere in the screen.  This works best if you are using separated mode so you can have another application visible behind AD/AP.  When you drag it around you'll see the loop being displayed anywhere on the screen.  It will then sample the color wherever.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

35 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You have to click inside the Affinity window, then drag the pointer outside. You can't start from outside Affinity.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks. I was forgetting that that color picker needs to be dragged, and was trying to click. This info will prove useful.

-- Walt
PC: