You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I just downloaded the 10-day trial.  I think that time may be a bit short but I'm working with it.

My question is concerning supported file types.  Does Affinity support FITS format?  Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) is an open standard defining a digital file format useful for storage, transmission and processing of scientific and other images.  FITS formatted files are probably the most commonly used file formats in astronomy.  If this is not a supported type, what is the possibility that is might become a supported image file type?

I ask because I do astrophotography and my cameras and capture software saves in FITS format.  If Affinity can work directly with FITS format it would save me time from having to first uses another program convert from FITS to TIFF.  I've attached one of my FITS files.  Many people in the amateur astronomy and astrophotography community use PS.  I use a very old CS2 version.  I was considering something like CS5 or CS6 but those are now also old versions too.  I don't like Adobes subscription and have been looking for other alternatives.  I am liking what I see with Affinity.  I think that this could easily be used in processing astrophotography images, especially for those already familiar with PS processing.  With a few additions, such as supporting the FITS format, I think you might be able to attract astrophotography enthusiasts to Affinity Photo. 

Thanks.

John Schnupp

2017-09-12_23-09-44_Light_Ha_600s__-20C.fit

I know it does not work.  I was including the attachment in hopes that someone on the development team might check it out and comment if this would ever be a supported file type.  In the end the above file would give me the attached TIFF (in another program).  And with combining with images from other filters would get something like the jpeg (yes, it does need more work including noise reduction and some sharpening)  Being able to do all the processing with one program would be very beneficial. 

TnRt_NGC 7293 HA+DARK+FLAT ARCSINH.TIF

MixLRGB-Hue_1 Ha+OIII.jpg

Checked that topic.  It was from nearly two years ago (2/15/2016) and there are no responses, only the original post/question.  I assume that topic is dead.  This one has at least generated some responses and interest.  I will copy my original comments there as well.

I'm going to assume that Affinity probably will not be supporting FITS format any time soon..pity, I think think that Affinity Photo would have made a great alternative to the high priced options and could have generated some interest in the astrophotography community.

I have been able to figure out some of the things required for creating astrophotography images such as combining different monochrome images into a single RGB.  Here is my basic workflow.  I was able to use my other program and convert my FITS images to TIFF (this is the part where having Affinifty Photo being able to read FITS would really help).  From there I use Affinity Photo to add curves and levels adjustment layers.  Did this to two separate images from different filters and combined into RGB for final image.  Images were resized 50% for uploading here.  Certainly need more work such as noise reduction, sharpening, color balance, alignment between layers, etc.  

A 10-day trial is certainly not enough time to get all the astrophotography aspects figured out but I think there is promise.  For $49.99 it is a good deal.  I've paid more for bottles of wine, that didn't last 10 days and were, quite literally, pissed away.  Even though I am a beginner at astrophotography and a brand newbiee with Affinity Photo, I think it will be a worthwhile investment. 

101 NGC 7293 Ha+dark (Custom).jpg

102 NGC 7293 Ha+dark (Custom).jpg

103 NGC 7293 OIII+dark (Custom).jpg

104 Ha+OIII Affinity (Custom).jpg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mi.Ke said:

Great pictures. I'm interested in astrophotography as well and it would be very helpful to have a FITS import option in AP.

I'll fourth or fifth that thumbup.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In windows at least, you can smooth your workflow by setting Affinity as your default program for tiff, and then, with Affinity open, you process your FITS file to save as a tiff. The saved tiff will then automatically open in Affinity.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Affinity won't open FITS.  I don't see how having Affinity open as my default program will help Affinity open FITS images.  My astronomy camera only takes FITS so I need Affinity to be able to open FITS format.  Once they are open, I a well aware that I can save them in any other format I wish.  The whole issue is that Affinity wont open FITS. 

I was presuming that you have software that does open your FITS files. My suggestion was to help your workflow. To re-iterate:

1. Open Affinity and leave it open.

2. Open your FITS file in suitable software.

3. Save your image as a .tiff file.

4. Your tiff file should now automatically open in Affinity to process as you see fit.

5. Repeat from 2. as desired.

Sorry if I did not make this clear. I find that workflows like this are almost as fast and effective as having Affinitty open the file from scratch. I use a similar workflow for scanning images.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

John,

Yes I do have FITS Liberator that can open FITS files...but opening FITS files in FITS Liberator, then saving them as TIFF before opening with Affinity really isn't reducing the work flow.  It does not matter if Affinity is open in the background or not, needing another program to convert from FITS to TIFF results and a longer workflow.

What I, and many other astrophotographers, would like to see is Affinity be able to open the FITS files directly, thus eliminating the need to use another program (FITS Liberator or other) to do the initial conversion to TIFF.  

At this point I don't see that Affinity Photo/San Serif is likely to support TIFF so I'm pretty much stuck with needed to first convert my images with another program.  I don't recall that there has ever been any comments from anyone at Affinity/San Serif on this topic so it's likely that they have no plans on supporting FITS. 

John Schnupp, N3CNL
1995 XLH 1200 +106,400
Georgia, VT
44.7675°N, 73.1592°W

5 hours ago, John Schnupp said:

At this point I don't see that Affinity Photo/San Serif is likely to support TIFF so I'm pretty much stuck with needed to first convert my images with another program.

Is that really what you meant to say? Affinity does support the TIFF format ... & the company name does not include "San" -- you are probably thinking of the sans serif font category. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

According to Wikipedia, "FITS support is available in a variety of programming languages ... including C, C++ and C#". So, it would not be impossible to implement this in Affinity. (You would not be asking for the stars.)  I would suggest that you make a formal request for this in the Features Request forum. If others support your request, then it is more likely to be implemented (eventually). But don't hold your breath.

John

@R C-R, yep that was me posting before my first cup of coffee had the chance to fully open my eyelids :-)  The whacked out world of a night shifter sleeping late on his day off.

@John Rostron, I will check out/submit a request on the Features Request forum.  I thought that was where I first posted but going to the top of this thread I see I had it in the Questions forum. 

John Schnupp, N3CNL
1995 XLH 1200 +106,400
Georgia, VT
44.7675°N, 73.1592°W

• 2 years later...

I'm also getting into astronomy and are interested in using infinity photo for processing FIT formatted images. This is definitely a market for Serif. Once word gets out that there is an alternative to Photoshop.

TThere is definitely a market fITS 

• 4 months later...

Yes, as an astro-imager and amateur astronomer I am interested in Affinity Photo as an alternative to Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom, but BEFORE I make the switch I will need to be able to process FITS files. In case readers are not aware FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) is the data format most widely used within astronomy for transporting, analysing, and archiving scientific data files. FITS is much more than just another image format (such as JPG or GIF) and is primarily designed to store scientific data sets consisting of multidimensional arrays (images) and 2-dimensional tables organised into rows and columns of information. You can convert FITS into TIFFs etc but in doing so you lose a lot of data that is difficult and time consuming to replace before forwarding on. So it would be helpful for Serif to add the FITS format and it would 'seal-the-deal' for me!

Edited by BadgerOfTruth
Correct errors

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, anon2 said:

AP beta 1.9 notes include:

- Added a new “Astrophotography Stack” persona which allows you to combine dark frames, light frames, bias frames, flat frames and dark flat frames then stack them. FITS images are also supported.

So far only in the Mac version, but we can hope that it will make its way into the Windows beta soon :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...