Hi!

On my mid 2015MacBook Pro, 2.5Ghz i7, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, OS 10.13.2-

Doing ANYTHING in the Develop persona, even making simple adjustments like exposure, causes all 8 cores to practically max out. 

Is this normal? Is there an config I can change to increase CPU efficiency?

It may help to attach a screenshot of your Preferences > Performance window & likewise for the Develop Assistant window. Also, are you using the retail, trial, or a beta version of Affinity Photo & what is its version number?

Regarding contacting support, this is the best way, but remember it is the weekend so it may take a couple of days to get an official response.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Here's a screenshot of the Prefs>Performance window. Retail 10.6.6. I'm not sure you mean by the "Develop Assistant" window. Here's a screenshot of the Develop Persona window.

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 8.33.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 8.41.05 PM.png

38 minutes ago, ideaph said:

I'm not sure you mean by the "Develop Assistant" window.

While in the Develop Persona, select "Assistant Manager..." from the View menu. The Develop Assistant window should open.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

12 hours ago, MEB said:

:)

Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. Does it still lag/max out after the reset?

That actually increased the lag/CPU load.