You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major frustration. I've been over the tutorial for Nik plugins many times (installing nik will need a separate thread) and it looks like I've connected SnapHeal Pro, Intensify CK, and Luminar 2018 correctly.

However, when I call them up, I get the "Plugin started" popup but nothing happens. Eventually I need to force quit AP move on with my work. I think the documentation about regarding specific plugins really needs to be created and easily found.

Mac El Capitan

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 6.35.59 PM.jpg

• Staff

Hi allfive,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently none of the Macphun Software plugins work with Affinity Photo. Photoshop plugin support is still ongoing. Some plugins may still have problems. Please check this page for more info (click the plugin's name for additional details). Regarding the Nik Collection take a look at this video tutorial: Installing Nik Plugins (macOS). Pay attention when James click the plus sign (00:36s) during the Nik installation - he's setting a folder to where the plugin files will be installed (without this only the stand alone apps are installed if there's no other known host software available). This is the folder that must be then added to the Plugin Search Folders section in Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins Preference window. Let me know if you still have problems installing it.

I´m also on el capitan and the NIK works quiet well with AP: Except Viveza - it neither starts nor does anything. But viveza does not work standalone too, so its not the AP-plugin-support. The other NIKs have some small issuses/glitches (like tooltip will not disappear..., but the main functionality is working very well.

I would also recommend do it 1:1 as in the video above and it should work!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

...But viveza does not work standalone too, so its not the AP-plugin-support....

That's not correct, Viveza works too as a standalone app, you just have to select some JPG image etc. right click and then select "Open in ..." or drag some image on the Viveza icon instead!

viveza_800.jpg.64ae3f0314ce8d5b9b2b8eab863adfce.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

44 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That's not correct, Viveza works too as a standalone app, you just have to select some JPG image etc. right click and then select "Open in ..." or drag some image on the Viveza icon instead!

I tried booth methods  - no,no nope. Not with el capitan (or at least on my maschine).

All other nik-brothers are working with booth methodes (and as plugin).

I run too El Capitan on a Mac (as you can see from the above shown attachment), works pretty well for me with even the latest Google NIK collection set.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks MEB for your comment and link. I shall bookmark it and follow. :D

RE: follow the nik video tutorial.

I really appreciate the video tutorials. Most all are quite clear and very helpful. However, I watched the Nik tutorial several times and tried installing Nik several times but apparently missed the important detail of where to install "plugins". The example given of installing a plugins folder on the desktop is not helpful because no one, I think, would install it on the desktop. AP seems to create a default "plugins" folder somewhere in the Library (where System or User library I don't recall at the moment). Why not a suggestion or two in the tutorial about where it would make sense to install a plugin folder and what best to name the folder? Also, I think the point needs to be made in the tutorial that there is a distinction between plugin files and application files because most of us think of Nik as plugins. (I've had Nik plugins installed in Aperture for years and love them.)

And the problem with my Nik install may be complicated by my long-standing install of the Nik plugins in Aperture, so I think that would be a topic for another thread about "double installs", but after my confusion settles. :)

Thanks to all the others who commented.

I'm in transition as to workflow. As a long time Aperture user, I'm used to moving back and forth among Nik and other plugins accessible from within Aperture. However, over the past few years, I've adopted DxO for NEF RAW processing. The Nik collection, as you know, is integrated in DxO's latest version but I find it a little awkward to use there. Nonetheless, I export from DxO and open in AP and continue processing. I love AP. The exception to that workflow is in RAW processing of early ORF files that DxO does not support, and I find AP really helpful there for RAW development and further refinement.

RE: Luminar 2018

Strangely, I had Luminar (pre-2018) working with AP. I don't remember what steps I took, but I think I just indicated the location of the Luminar app in the first "add" box. However, Luminar 2018 is a no-go.

Keep up the good work, Affinity. I look forward to better plugin integration.

Edited by allfive
additional content

22 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

Hmm, mysterious??? Deeper i do not want go in, but is the same on your maschine?

Not sure where you are looking at all here, I'm talking about using the installed Viveza app from your Applications (Programme) folder. There should be a "Nik Collection" folder, aka ...

Programme -> Nik Collection -> Analog Efex Pro 2
Programme -> Nik Collection -> Color Efex Pro 4
Programme -> Nik Collection -> Viveza 2

... where the Viveza 2 app resides in. - From the Mac finder you can usually open a selected JPG file etc. via a right click on that file and choose to open it in a selected application. So when you do so select there "Öffnen mit..." and then you scroll the list of apps and select the "Viveza 2" app here. Or as said before, just simply drag a JPG file onto the Viveza 2 application icon there under "Programme -> Nik Collection -> Viveza 2". - Both ways should usually start Viveza 2 standalone with the given JPG file loaded.

Well, what i posted above is this Programme -> Nik Collection -> Viveza 2  (in the "show package" view).

Believe me, i know this "öffnen mit..." and i allways tried with that method. As said for all othe this (and other methods are working, except for viveza.

Here another view of the app i mean:

5a6cba13b6591_Bildschirmfoto2018-01-27um18_41_11.png.2532f6727f4c88ee3229fa7022bcd902.png). 

Can you start Viveza at least from there, even if you can't load then in a file that way?

Nope, thats what i say the whole time: Viveza does NOTHING! Completely nothing,neither a broken  start-screen or at least a "error"box, NOTHING, nüscht, niente, nada, nirwana....

Also if i look in the activity-monitor for it: There is NOTHING!

And the other NIK apps like Sharpener Pro etc. which work in a similar fashion on files? - I can start all those standalone here too in the same fashion under El Capitan.

6 hours ago, allfive said:

And the problem with my Nik install may be complicated by my long-standing install of the Nik plugins in Aperture, so I think that would be a topic for another thread about "double installs", but after my confusion settles. :)

Plugins for Aperture require a different format from those for Photoshop, which is why the NIK installer will attempt to install both of them if it detects that Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) is installed in the Applications folder. (It seems to install the Aperture versions whether or not Aperture is installed, at least whenever I have used the free Google NIK installer.)

If PS or PSE is not installed in the Applications folder or not or detected for some other reason, by default it will not install the PS plugins at all, which is why in the video James Ritson mentions using the plus button to install the PS plugins in a custom directory. When I ran the installer it did detect the copy of PSE installed on my Mac but I still used the plus button to add another installation of the PS plugins in a separate folder because I knew I would eventually uninstall PSE, which would delete all the PS plugins installed in the default PSE Plugins support folder, which is where the NIK installer puts them. (Note that this default folder varies depending on the version of PS or PSE installed.)

As for where the custom plugin folder should be installed, that is up to the user, & the usual considerations apply: if it is installed anywhere in the user domain (anywhere in the user's home folder) by default the plugins it contains will only be available to that user; if installed in (for example) the root level Applications folder it will be available to all users. Since (as the video shows at about the 1:16 point) the default destination path is /Application/Nik Collection, that is what I used. The result (with a manually added link to the Google Nik Collection help web page) was this:

5a6cfee99d4c5_NIKcollection.png.79b1ffeb6b7dccc260739d57f82dd103.png 

Thus, in Affinity Photo's Photoshop Plugins Preferences, my "Plugin Search Folders" field required only one item, "Applications/Nik Collection," & it is completely independent of the PSE & Aperture plugin folders, both of which have since been deleted from my Mac.

@Polygonius, there is no need to complicate things with "Show Package Contents" -- just double-click on "Viveza 2.app" in the Applications > Nik Collections folder to launch the standalone app, or if you use the Mac OS "Launchpad" feature you can launch it from there, entering "Viveza" in the search box to find it quickly. Yet another way is using the Spotlight search function or as @v_kyr mentioned with a right-click "Open with" on a jpeg or other file type the app supports.

Also note that like the NIK Dfine2.app but unlike almost every other Mac app, the standalone Viveza 2.app has no File menu or open command of its own. So while any of the above methods should launch it & display the workspace window, only "Open with" or dragging & dropping a supported filetype on its application or Dock icon will allow you to do anything useful with it. So, as a first troubleshooting step I suggest seeing if you can launch the standalone app, which should open the app window but won't let you open a file. If that much works, try the Open with or drag & drop method. If you can get that far, then the app itself is OK & the problem with the plugin must be either in how your Affinity Photo Photoshop plugins preferences are set up, or in the Viveza2.config or Viveza2.plugin file in the Google > Viveza 2 folder, wherever you have installed that on your Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R trust me: i know how to open an app with an doubleclick or via "open with" or via spotlight, dock..... even per terminal... And i know the difference between a standalone-app and its plug-in-brother. And i know that dfine and booth sharpener apps does not support a File-menu. However i can open and work with ALL Nikis as standalone (or plug) EXCEPT viveza.

But its ok. As far as i know viveza does not support presets, and thats the way i use the Nikis: As an inspiration-tool by jumping to the presets. Without presets i prefer the AP own stuff.

So i do not miss viveeza really. Thanks for your patience, but we can close "my part" of this thread.

@Polygonius Makes me wonder if the GPU isn't a supported model, although the supported GPU list covers a fairly wide base. What model Mac are you using?

NVIDIA GeForce 8 Series, GeForce 9 Series, GeForce 100 Series, GeForce 200 Series, GeForce 300 Series, GeForce 400 Series, GeForce 500 Series, ATI Radeon HD2000 Series, Radeon HD3000 Series, Radeon HD4000 Series, Radeon HD5000 Series, Radeon HD6000 Series. If no compatible card is available, GPU acceleration will be disabled and the CPU will be used. 

I have both a 2015 5K iMac and also a Late 2011 iMac both run High Sierra 10.13.3. The older 2011 iMac uses a AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB and Viveza 2 runs well, obviously on the 2015 5K it also runs perfectly fine.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

One thing I have noticed is that, within the Preferences > Photoshop Plugins Panel only Analog Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4 are listed as Working, the rest are listed as 'Unknown' but all of the NIK Collection work perfectly fine; for me at least.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

R C-R trust me: i know how to open an app with an doubleclick or via "open with" or via spotlight, dock..... even per terminal... And i know the difference between a standalone-app and its plug-in-brother. And i know that dfine and booth sharpener apps does not support a File-menu. However i can open and work with ALL Nikis as standalone (or plug) EXCEPT viveza.

OK, but since @v_kyr has confirmed that the standalone version works on his El Capitan Mac, there must be something amiss with the Viveza related files on yours. I don't know what you used for the screenshot in this earlier post of yours here -- it would be better if you posted a standard Finder "Show Package Contents" screenshot so we could compare that to what we get, or at least identify the app you used -- but I assume the next screenshot in this post is from a standard Quick Look view of the app or its equivalent.

If so, compare that to what I get using Quick Look:

5a6da78f73478_QLview.png.617074f5af073f90443585c4bacfac64.png

Everything is the same in mine as in yours except the Last modified date. This implies something has changed in the version you have installed. I have no idea what that might be but as you can see from the standard Finder "Show Package Contents" screenshot below from my Mac, it would seem that all the files in the Viveza 2 app package should share that same last modified date.

5a6da99c81aaf_Viveza2package.png.b74ef2964ad7b29c9e5ef3d0f9a57ccc.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I guess "modified date" is in this case the date, when you have installed it. I installed my nik roundabout 3 weeks ago, so it fits.

But its possible: I had have my fingers on stuff i better did not touch;-)

Before switching to high sierra i will reinstall complete nik and try again. But i´m waiting for the next HS release - too much horror-news at this state!

Edit:

I just read HERE ;) that Highsierra #3 is available.

Ok, i will try next week! Thank you firstdefence!

12 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

But your viverza is 31,4 MB mine is only 31,3 MB.

??? Mine shows as 31.8 MB & so does yours, according to your second screenshot.

As I said, it would help if you just posted a screenshot of a normal, un-tabbed Finder view of the package contents showing at least the same columns as in mine. Whatever you did for your first screenshot doesn't include much of that info.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

??? Mine shows as 31.8 MB & so does yours, according to your second screenshot.

As I said, it would help if you just posted a screenshot of a normal, un-tabbed Finder view of the package contents showing at least the same columns as in mine. Whatever you did for your first screenshot doesn't include much of that info.

@R C-R Mine also shows as Total size of App = 31.8 MB version 2.1.21.10, and the core file from Show Package Contents is 31.4 MB same.

The modified date is the install date. personally I don't think there is much wrong if anything at all with the actual app, I think it's probably external issues whatever they may be...

I know this is a bit out there, but, I wonder if this is a font issue? why do I say that? well... For those of us who can run Viveza 2 sucessfully - (Not trying to rub it in @Polygonius lol,) within Activity Monitor if you Click on a running Viveza 2 then either click on the 5a6de8c216285_ScreenShot2018-01-28at15_13_47.png.d69a2cf8af5fbe93c5e3a0f82ec70f2e.png then Click on the Open Files and Ports Tab there are a fair few fonts loaded.

It's also loading; For me at least: /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver

It also appears to be built using the Carbon Framework which I believe relates to Java, these are all tentative leads but who knows it might lead to a fix.

23 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

...It also appears to be built using the Carbon Framework which I believe relates to Java, these are all tentative leads but who knows it might lead to a fix.

No the Carbon Framework has nothing todo with Java here at all.

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

No the Carbon Framework has nothing todo with Java here at all.

Ah! crossed wires then lol! I'm not a programmer unless you can class tuning a tv channel in programming lol!

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Ah! crossed wires then lol! I'm not a programmer unless you can class tuning a tv channel in programming lol!

Well that's at least a start, though probably not into the same direction. ;)