You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You should be able to Export as a jpeg, from the File menu or the Export persona. We don't call that "save" because jpeg isn't our native format and doesn't preserve all the information.

I have to submit my photos as a jpeg to other companies. Are you saying that if I were to change to jpeg that some of the applications from the editing with af will be lost and not stay with the image when changed to jpeg?

You should be able to Export as a jpeg, from the File menu or the Export persona. We don't call that "save" because jpeg isn't our native format and doesn't preserve all the information.

I just tried your suggestion and have been able to accomplish this.  I am excited to start to use this software. I am new to photo editing and will need much guidance in learning to use this in a way that will prove PS to not be the MASTER of Editing.. I do not have any PS experience either. I went to purchase this and it is not available. I am really looking forward to Affinity Photo editing..

• Staff

Hello vj4254,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Affinity Photo isn't available for purchase yet. It's currently in public beta testing, meaning that is freely available for everyone who want to give it a try, test it and give us some feedback. We are still adding and improving several features and only when this process is finished we start to sell it through the Mac App Store.

When you edit an image in Affinity, all the layers, adjustments and everything else you do/change in your photo is saved on our format .afphoto so you can edit/change them later if you need. When you export that image as a jpeg, all those adjustments and layers are flattened (meaning they are processed and become just one single layer) and thus they aren't available anymore for further editing as separate elements.

If you send the jpeg (as the end result) for printing for example, this is not a problem since they don't need to edit/change the photo. They just need to print it as it is. But if you want to send your image to a colleague for further editing it's probably wise to give him the .afphoto file since it contains all the adjustments/layers/elements separated making it easier to change them individually.

I have to submit my photos as a jpeg to other companies. Are you saying that if I were to change to jpeg that some of the applications from the editing with af will be lost and not stay with the image when changed to jpeg?

Why not have two copies? This doesn't take much effort or space.

1. An Affinity file for you.
  2. A JPG/SVG/PNG/PDF for your clients' needs

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having it under Save As would be more intuitive. Why not make afphoto one of the choices and just have the export menu pop up with save as?

Copying all of the wrong things adobe has been doing for 20 years seems wrong. 20 years ago, you might have called saving a photo as a jpeg an "export", but in todays world you're just saving it in one of many possible formats.

• Staff

Hi BSDGuru,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was a design decision and i believe it makes sense in Affinity context.

afphoto and afdesign are our native file formats and as such fully supported by Affinity apps. That's the formats we save by default.

Other common graphic formats are also supported but some of them - due to the market evolution and/or format restrictions/copyright issues - for which we don't have access to full documentation or rights, there was a risk of data loss if we allow to save directly over existing files in the same format. So you have to export them. This avoids breaking existing files saved from the original applications.

Having it under Save As would be more intuitive. Why not make afphoto one of the choices and just have the export menu pop up with save as?

Copying all of the wrong things adobe has been doing for 20 years seems wrong. 20 years ago, you might have called saving a photo as a jpeg an "export", but in todays world you're just saving it in one of many possible formats.

I suspect it would be would intuitive to you as you're not thinking it's a document of an application, rather a document that can be produced by many applications.

Being intuitive is subjective. Let's say 'consistent'. This is an interesting one because Photoshop is one of the few, like an Illustrator EPS, that does allow you to save as another format. However, most don't. Apps produce docs in their format. If you want it in another format you have to export it as something to which it isn't.

However, opening a jpeg and Save As a jpeg would be intuitive to me too. And yet, opening a .doc into Apple Pages then saving as a .doc wouldn't be intuitive because I'm used to how Apps work. In the image world we've had it easy with all these compatible formats.

http://redfieldmedia.co.uk

Vector app usage: Illustrator -1994-95; Freehand -1995-2010; Illustrator -2010-2014; Sketch - 2014-current; Affinity Designer -2015-current

• 1 year later...

I  just had the same problem today.  Under the FILE menu go to EXPORT then save as a .png file to your desktop.  Open the ,png in Photoshop and then save it as a .jpg.  I was surprised that you could not save it directly as a .jpg.   Of what use would an Afinity file be unless you could save it as another file extension?

Mike Lander

North Babylon, N. Y.

8 hours ago, mlander said:

I  just had the same problem today.  Under the FILE menu go to EXPORT then save as a .png file to your desktop.  Open the ,png in Photoshop and then save it as a .jpg.  I was surprised that you could not save it directly as a .jpg.   Of what use would an Afinity file be unless you could save it as another file extension?

You should have no problem exporting directly to jpeg using the same export method you used to export the file to png format. As was explained above, because the non-native file formats have many different options, each of which can affect the way the file is saved during export, it is not just changing the extension & so the "Save as" menu item is not used for that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

To me, the Affinity approach makes total sense.

If you save as a JPEG you are throwing away much of the file information. You are losing layers, paths, text, transparency and image quality. A bit of a disaster in some cases. Speaking as someone who has done that :( more than once. The other thing is, it's easy to overwrite the original file, which could be an even worse disaster.

I know there are warnings but Windows displays so many, who always reads every one? A bit of common sense safety is a good thing. At least if you are forced to save as a .afphoto file, everything is there, safe and in a non-lossy format. And presumably, you want to save a file with all your layers, paths and text at some point?

It is easy enough to Export if you actually want to throw all your layers and stuff away. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ron56 said:

When I export my persona and select save as high quality jpeg, then check info of the image in my photos, it shows it is still raw. ???

I guess this depends if you check the original RAW or the exported JPEG. User error that is.

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, johnsung said:

I'm having some trouble with people opening the jpeg files I've exported from AF Photo & Designer. It opens on all my devices (Windows, Mac, and Android) but not on their computer (Windows 8). Any solutions?

What kind of errors to they have when they try? Can you provide one of them here, so other forum users can look at them and see if they can tell what the problem might be?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, johnsung said:

Hi Walt, 

One of the Serif Moderators was able to help me. I lowered the DPI and flattened some of the layers. I guess they were unable to open it on their end because the files were too large and their hardware couldn't handle it. :( Eventually, we got it sorted. Thanks for reaching out! :) 

great find

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, pareshpandit said:

But the real question is, does Export As preserve resolution of the image. I have a BW 300dpi image (made in A-Photo) that seems to reduce to a much smaller size to be 300dpi, when saved as JPG via Export As. Could you please shed some light on this? 

Export as does preserve the resolution of the image, yes. In pixels. Unless you change it during export yourself.

DPI is nothing but a meta-tag, information for printing etc. Should you wish to see the current DPI info or change it, you can do it from document -> resize document:

image.png.16dc559c198cad0180aa0a55b33585f5.png

Un-select "resample" and enter the desired DPI and click resize. 

I suggest you read the article below - it will clarify what DPI actually is. 🙂

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/understanding-dpi/

Learn what DPI is and when you should and shouldn’t worry about it.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 4 months later...