hbeier

Save failed because ownership of the file could not be verified

I'm working on some files stored on pCloud Drive. Sometimes, when I try to save the file, I get this message:

5a6b615c1291a_ScreenShot2018-01-26at15_09_06.png.c0a97d0721ae91a95e772137b5452b31.png

This probably happens because pCloud is uploading the file to their servers at that time. However, as soon as I click OK, the file closes. I do not get a chance to save it somewhere else and I lose all the changes I've made.

Please look into this "file must now be closed" policy.

Unfortunately due to the way we handle memory usage the software always needs access to the file. We generally advise not to work with files stored on cloud backup, and instead work with them on a local drive.

Hey there. Thanks for getting in touch. This is a huge caveat I would say. I mostly do all my work on the cloud since I like having access to my files at home and at work. Would it be changed eventually? I have had no issues working with Adobe files using the cloud. I may just consider sticking to using Adobe illustrator then if that's the case. :(

On 1/30/2018 at 1:03 AM, varlien said:

Did you find a way around for this yet hbeier? Kinda frustrating. :(

The workaround I've found is to only work with files located in synced folders (using the pCloud Sync feature). I'm guessing it has something to do with how pCloud upload files to their servers.

I've also found that Illustrator is not imune to this. However, instead of immediately closing the file, it simply recuses to save it and gives me a chance to save it somewhere else.

I've been meaning to open a support ticket with pCloud to discuss this, but I am kind of swamped with work and couldn't find the time to do it.

18 hours ago, hbeier said:

I've been meaning to open a support ticket with pCloud to discuss this, but I am kind of swamped with work and couldn't find the time to do it.

pCloud just responded and this is what they had to say: 

We are aware of such a problem but unfortunately, pCloud is not tested with Affinity Designer and we cannot recommend using it.

As a workaround you can work with your files on the local disk and then upload them to pCloud or the other option is pCloud Sync.

Yes, this has been quite frustrating to me too! I've lost a lot of work on several documents because of this. I am also working off pCloud.

I've had the message above, as well as another dialog that looks slightly different. The message is "Save failed because access to the file was lost." 

I have 3 different computers I could be using depending on where I am accessing my project from. I like working off the cloud to reduce the possibility of manually syncing everything over when I'm done. I hope there's a resolution to this! I like Affinity Photo, but this is exactly what I need it for; using it on the cloud.

Even if it would spit out a recovery file before it closes the document that I could use and the overwrite my original, that would be a great workaround for now! One time it did offer an auto-saved file, but I've had this happen a dozen plus times with no option, and I know it's been open more than 300 seconds.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.39.31 PM.png

My guess would be pCloud isn't going to do anything with the way they synchronize under the hood for software they said they don't recommend using. Hoping this doesn't fall too far into the cracks between two great pieces of software I enjoy.

I would be perfectly happy if Affinity would be able to implement the proposed workaround where they save it out to another version of the file, if that's possible. Instead of OriginalFilename.afphoto it would save out OriginalFilename_backup1.afphoto.

I've done some hobby-level coding, and even at that level I do understand that this might not be possible, and is often more complicated than it seems to implement changes.

It's a long shot, but I would be so thankful if this or some other solution could be implemented!

1 minute ago, ThreedeeArtist said:

I would be perfectly happy if Affinity would be able to implement the proposed workaround where they save it out to another version of the file, if that's possible. Instead of OriginalFilename.afphoto it would save out OriginalFilename_backup1.afphoto.

Another option would be to show the error message but not close the file. In this scenario, Affinity would keep the file open in the [Modified] state, granting us the ability to Save As...

This is similar to how other programs handle this. I know that Adobe Illustrator and Sublime Text work this way. Having said that, I'm aware they are not sandboxed apps and are allowed to do many things Affinity apps are not.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:57 AM, Sean P said:

Unfortunately due to the way we handle memory usage the software always needs access to the file. We generally advise not to work with files stored on cloud backup, and instead work with them on a local drive.

I understand your position. However, I'd like to argue our suggestions would make the apps more reliable and would probably save you from some angry customers in the future.

This is a cloud issue? If I'd known that this software was not compatible with the cloud I would never had purchased it. Your company should have discloseed this right up front. I now need 1 or 2 extra steps in my workflow. I need to save my file to the desktop and once finished move it to my cloud folder. Then when I want to work on it again, I must remember to move it out of that folder...back to my desk top...finsih my editing...then move it back. And you folks blame it on those in the cloud? You need to fix this problem instead of kicking the can down the road. 

I ran into this as well. I understand the issue, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a chance to save a new file, rather than saying, "The document must now be closed." All that work for nothing. Wasted. Heartbreaking.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 3.58.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 4.01.19 PM.png

16 hours ago, steeverdezines said:

This is a cloud issue? If I'd known that this software was not compatible with the cloud I would never had purchased it. Your company should have discloseed this right up front. I now need 1 or 2 extra steps in my workflow. I need to save my file to the desktop and once finished move it to my cloud folder. Then when I want to work on it again, I must remember to move it out of that folder...back to my desk top...finsih my editing...then move it back. And you folks blame it on those in the cloud? You need to fix this problem instead of kicking the can down the road. 

Yeah exactly this. Even though I thoroughly enjoy using the Affinity tools the fact that I can't work directly on the cloud has me switching back to using Adobe tools where at least it's a lot more stable working on the cloud. Adobe at least lets you do a "Save a New File" when the problem does happen. If Affinity wants to be serious about being a legit competitor to Adobe they can't really let this pass through as it's too big of an issue for me. Considering as well that nowadays a lot of creatives either work on the cloud or on local servers. Hope this is a priority Affinity. I'd definitely jump back to using it if it's resolved. 

Not a Cloud issue as I get the same "Save failed because access to the file was lost" with every file I try and save  - always have. This is extremely annoying and wish Affinity would fix this bug.

I am working with a MacBookAir and Seagate external (2TB) drive.