You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour problems in Affinity Photo

Hi all,
    I've got a problem with colours in affinity photo. My photo is of a high street shop 'Superdry' which has an illluminated bright red sign, but when I load the RAW file (NEF) into affinity the sign is bright white with a red outline. If I load the RAW file into Nikon's own RAW developer it looks correct (i.e. bright red).
I was thinking this may be a colourspace problem but this stuff is new to me and anyway how could affinity get it so wrong? If I export as JPEG (from within Nikon S/W) it's correct, so how could this red be available in a JPEG but not in affinity's (larger) colourspace?

I've supplied screen grabs of the RAW file loaded into Nikon's NX-D app and Affinity Photo, so you can see what I mean.

Hope someone can help, otherwise I'm going to have to develop RAW files with the Nikon S/W and just use affinity photo for JPEGs.

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

AffinityCapture.JPG

NX-D-Capture.JPG

The histogram shows, that it is against the NX-D pushed to the left.

Did you make the white level balance?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hi Psenda,

I included the histogram in the pics so people could see they are very different. NX-D is obviously doing some processing on the RAW that Affinity isn't.

As far as I know both NX-D and Affinity are using the same white balance but this seems too extreem to be a white balance issue, I've tried lots of different settings including white balance but no adjustments I perform make the white turn into the original red I photographed.

Greg

43 minutes ago, Greg Booth said:

NX-D is obviously doing some processing on the RAW that Affinity isn't.

Or could it be the other way round?

I notice that in the Affinity histogram, there is a green spike at the RHS, not present in the Nikon histogram. This presumably corresponds to the white on the sign. Have you tried adjusting the levels to get rid of this spike?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John, thanks for your reply.

I've just tried selecting 'Show clipped tones' and it does indeed show that the sign is clipped, but I'm unable to drag it back (if I drag the tone curve all the way down and to the right, which makes the photo two-tone black and white, the sign does turn red).

I suppose my question now is why is it so far out of gamut (i.e. clipped) in Affinity but not in NX-D? I thought Affinity had a larger colour workspace. I've tried a few different colour profiles but they don't seem to make any difference (I'm very new to this and probably need to learn more about colourspaces!).

Greg.

I think that my contribution above exhausts what I can usefully advise. However, I suggest that you include a link to your RAW file so that other knowledgeable people can try for themselves.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The short answer is, it's due to their RAW conversion engine which isn't that good at all for NEF files here. Further you overall better stay with Nikon NX-D as a RAW converter since it produces the most accurate results out of NEF files (...who should know that format and it's cam settings etc. better than it's inventor). - Beside Nikon s/w, the DxO RAW converter and C1 also can produce quite good results here with a little bit more settings tweaking.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi v_kyr,
    I've come to that conclusion myself - NEF RAW files do look a lot better in NX-D.

I think I will try setting both the camera and Affinity to Adobe RGB and take the photo again to see if that's any better  - (I'm thinking it must be a colour profile thing).

Anyway, It's not really a problem, I'll develop in whichever looks best for each particular photo, Affinity has excellent editing tools for JPEGs so it's still worth the money!

Thanks for your help folks.

Greg.

You can give it a try (shoot in Adobe RGB color mode) if it makes any difference, or check with some other converters which also use dcraw as their underlayed RAW conversion engine here if those handle it different for NEFs here. However in sRGB mode you can't tweak this afterwards successfully with the Serif RAW engine.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@Greg Booth  Just a reminder that after processing your RAW file, save it as a 16 bit TIFF file (if possible) rather than as a JPG. This will maximise the quality of subsequent manipulations in Affinity. Keep working in TIFF until you're finished.

Affinity has great capabilities: you want to maximise this. Don't unnecessarily restrict the software by saving down to JPG too soon; you will be discarding image information that Affinity could have used to keep the image quallity higher.

Best only to go to JPEG once you're ready to print or upload.

:16_relieved:

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10