You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer opens EPS in greyscale

A client has sent me an EPS from PS and it's opening in greyscale.  The Finder preview is fine.

Anyone know how to open/import into either Designer or Photo and retain the correct colours?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Thanks v_Kyr,

That is exactly the problem!

However having read the various threads, I'm none the wiser about how to open the file in colour :(

Is there something that the client needs to do when exporting?  (I'm a photographer and I have no experience of Illustrator ... nor much of AFD)

Well as said before, without knowing how the EPS file looks like and especially it's code is generated here (aka how the file's internal "%%DocumentProcessColors: ..." etc. is setup) it's hard to tell at all if it might be misinterpreted when parsed in (imported) by AD. EPS files can be opened in text editors, so you can take a look inside what it's code describes here.  - However, if other apps which also deal with EPS do all show it up instead in color, then probably AD/AP do have difficulties here with interpreting that from Illustrator generated file and do produce some mismatch here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi GFS,

Thanks for the file. Affinity is assigning a greyscale profile to this file on import (because it doesn't have any profile) and i don't think it's possible to revert this. I will check with the dev team if there's anything we can do here (prompting for a colour profile on import or something). Meanwhile check your PM's for a link to a file you can import in Affinity Designer without issues.

Hi MEB,

thanks very much for the converted file.  :)

Regarding the problem ... why doesn't AFD ask me what profile I want to assign when I'm opening a document with no profile?  Instead it is deciding that the document is greyscale ... which it is not.  Seems like an obvious thing to do ... offer the choice when opening.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Affinity,

I'm struggling with the same issue (eps file without profile, or rather some proprietary info from the most widespread vector tool) is assigned as CMYK even though the designer has embedded sRGB profile.

You have mentioned some chooser on import. Has this been addressed in any way?

Thanks a lot for an answer,

Jakub