You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving back to “Photos”

Ok I’m thick! Got the app on my iPad Pro, watched the video tutorials, took an image from Photos on the iPad and got rid of the haze that was ruining the finished product. Now what do I do? I can print it, fine!  But name it? Save it? Where and how? And can it be put back into Photos as a copy or an edited image like if I’d done it with apples own photo edit! I’m going round in circles, it’s prob dead simple but I’m not that confident, to put it into contex, I have the full version on my Mac and can’t use it! The version on the iPad is much easier to use it would seem but I’m stuck on the point described above . Help!

• Staff

Hi RoddyB,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After finishing editing the file you can either:

- export it to any format you want (JPG, TIFF, PNG etc) tapping the document icon on the top left of the interface and selecting Export. Select the format you want and respective settings then tap the OK button on the bottom. On the next screen select where you want to save the file (on your iPad storage, on a cloud service etc) and tap the Add button on the top right of the interface.

- share the file with other iPad apps or cloud services or use AirDrop, tapping the document icon on the top left of the interface and selecting Export, then tapping the Share button on the bottom left of the interface - you should now be familiar with the pop-up that will appear that let's you send/share the file to/with other iPad apps (like Mail, Message and other supported apps that you have installed besides the cloud service's apps) and use AirDrop to share/send the file to a nearer Mac or iOS device.

On the second row on that pop-up, the first icon (Save Image) let's you save your edited image in the format you have selected on the export screen (behind the pop-up) to Apple Photos. You can then cancel the Export operation itself since the image was already sent to Apple Photos

- save a copy of your image in our native file format .afphoto tapping the document icon on the top left of the interface and selecting Save A Copy. This format keeps all adjustments, filters, layers and any edits you have made to the file intact so you can continue working on the file later. After performing the save a copy command, select the name you want for your file/project (you can also save the history with all the steps you have taken there) then tap the Save button on the bottom and select where you want to save the afphoto file (on your iPad storage, on a cloud service etc).

I am having the exact same problem as RoddyB and MEB directions do not work with my computer and Affinity software. For example tapping on document does not work for me but tapping on file does. I also have to move to file to do the "save" procedure but mine does not read save a copy, it only has save as. I am wondering if I have the wrong software for a Mac Book Air.

3 hours ago, Bill Stan said:

I am wondering if I have the wrong software for a Mac Book Air.

MEB's directions were for RoddyB's iPad Pro. If you have a MacBook Air, the interface (& the app) will be different.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the explanation to RodneyB on the the export>share>save a copy>cancel to get the edited image into Photos, but... if I’m playing around with several versions, with different edits, how can I see which is which in Photos without the file name that Photos apparently won’t show? Is there a way to somehow ID the Affinity-edited file(s) in Photos? Thanks for any help...

Tap the 3 bars on the main project screen under the photo and rename to suit.

I think this has been improved in the beta. When you export it opens the Files app and shows a variety of storage options allowing you to choose where to store the file. I use Documents by Readdle and set up folders for various projects where I can export or save various files but view them too without having to open them in AP.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

If you open a file stored in Photo, make changes and close the file, those changes are saved in Photo. You can rename the file (via 3 bars) but unless you have a copy of the unchanged file stored elsewhere, it no longer exists. If you have stored it somewhere else you can access and load it back into photo. You now have the original and the modified (renamed) Files stored in Photo. 

I find it easier to store both original and modified images and affinity Photo Files  in my Documents app. It’s easy to move rename etc from there. I can access them from Photo (just choose Cloud when opening) and in the Files app you can then navigate through all the Document app folders to find the Photo file you wish to open. This means I can keep the files local (on my iPad), organised and named as I want them. Saving them to camera roll from AP instead of Documents (or some other filebrowser app) loses all the name info which is a major pain.

I also use a WD MyPassport Wireless Pro disk (MPWP) which Can share with Photo and connect wireless to Documents. My 'local' Cloud. It would be nice if Photo could connect directly to the MPWP in the way that Lumafusion does and maybe it will in some future edition.:)

edit. Forgot to mention that if you use 'Save as' you can simply rename the (modified) file to save it to Photo. You now have original and original1 in Photo. You can open original1, make changes and 'save as' original2 and so on.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 years later...

I too am having real problems saving edits made in Affinity back to the program that holds the original document.  for example, I keep my photos in lightroom (cloud based version.) I have no problems moving a file to Affinity from LR but once the edits are made (by the way I love the Affinity edit tools particularly infill) I can't save the Affinity edited version Back into LR.  I am using the current iPad version of Affinity and LR.  Is this just a rivalry issue?  All I can do is save the Affinity edited version on my iPad and that is in fact, pretty useless. Hope you can help.  Thanks.  Tom. 

8 hours ago, TomfromFrance said:

All I can do is save the Affinity edited version on my iPad

Saving in Affinity only creates an .afphoto file. Not useable in other apps.
If you choose Export from Document menu, choose a non proprietary format, then tap Share (bottom left on Export page) you have access to the share sheet and lots of destinations/apps. If Lightroom doesn’t appear in the list and you can’t locate it on the edit shares option, then try creating a shortcut to copy to or open in Lightroom from the share sheet.🙂

BBD74FFB-F4A3-443E-BB58-8575358252BC.jpeg