You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Eyedropper in Affinity Designer

Hi all! I'm a lamster from adobe illustrator. My question is about matching stoke style in AD:

1. I found a similar tool as Eyedropper in illustrator called Colour Picker Tool. Does this tool have the same function in illustrator?

2. When I use Colour Picker Tool, it just copies the colour information. Can the Colour Picker Tool copy the line stoke information as Eyedropper in illustrator? For example, I draw a line with Black stoke colour and 1mm width. Now I want to apply this line style it to another line. In Ai, I need to use Eyedropper tool to inject the style. What should I do in AD?

Thanks!

Hao

Short answer is, the colour picker tool is just that a tool that picks a colour.

5a6af3c943b8e_ScreenShot2018-01-26at09_21_08.png.1ae45c331f1de8c367dbc21336d3f72b.png

Adobe Illustrators Eyedropper tool is more than just a colour picker. As the name suggests it picks what it sees, this would include both colour and style attributes such as stroke width.

Adobes description: The Eyedropper tool (I) samples and applies color, type, and appearance attributes, including effects, from objects. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/tool-galleries.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

As the name suggests it picks what it sees

That’s very interesting! To me, the name ‘eyedropper’ has always suggested an analogy with the instrument used for putting drops in one’s eyes. It has never occurred to me to regard the eyedropper in a graphics program as having an eye itself.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, HaoWu said:

I draw a line with Black stoke colour and 1mm width. Now I want to apply this line style it to another line. In Ai, I need to use Eyedropper tool to inject the style. What should I do in AD?

Hi Hao :)

You can copy the style from one object to another by copying the first item Ctrl + C and then pasting the style Edit > Paste Style or the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + V

You can create a style from the line and save it in the Styles Panel to be used as many times as you like. Just click on it to apply it.

Right click on the line you just created and choose Create Style. It will appear in the Styles panel. You can apply that style to all the new lines. See Style  "1 mm line" that I created, below.

line.jpg.407b683b76bca4e13feb6028838d5bd4.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

That’s very interesting! To me, the name ‘eyedropper’ has always suggested an analogy with the instrument used for putting drops in one’s eyes. It has never occurred to me to regard the eyedropper in a graphics program as having an eye itself.

I wouldn't expect Manhole to have a man it it. But, sometimes :P

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 hours ago, toltec said:

I wouldn't expect Manhole to have a man it it. But, sometimes :P

@toltec Tis a hole for a man, although in todays non-discriminatory atmosphere it really should be called a Genderneutralhole I think that would cover most bases. O.o

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2018 at 1:37 AM, Alfred said:

Even tough it's often called "eyedropper", it sounds weird.
Just "dropper" make more sense that's also often used.

12 hours ago, ashf said:

Saving to Style doesn't work with Pencil tool.

It seems to be working here -- I can add the stroke style of a selected vector object created with the AD Pencil Tool to the Styles panel in the usual way.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

It seems to be working here -- I can add the stroke style of a selected vector object created with the AD Pencil Tool to the Styles panel in the usual way.

I mean before you draw. like brushes.

1 minute ago, ashf said:

I mean before you draw. like brushes.

Preselecting a brush preset only works with brush-based tools, so it doesn't work with the Pencil or Pen Tools or with quick shapes like rectangles, cogs, or stars.

However, if you just want to preselect the stroke color attributes, you can do that using the Defaults > Synchronize defaults from selection button on the toolbar, or via the Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from selection menu option.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Preselecting a brush preset only works with brush-based tools, so it doesn't work with the Pencil or Pen Tools or with quick shapes like rectangles, cogs, or stars.

However, if you just want to preselect the stroke color attributes, you can do that using the Defaults > Synchronize defaults from selection button on the toolbar, or via the Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from selection menu option.

There are people who want to switch a variety of stroke styles quickly, so would be nice if there was preset feature like brushes.
I already posted feature request as another topic.