You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing Guidelines (printed photo different than photo on screen)

Hi everybody,

i am printing photos after processing them with affinity photo. ( i am using photo v.1.6.2 on win10).

But the printed photos i get are different from the photos i see on my laptop screen. ( i own a canon ip7250)

i have read about color profiles, but i am quite confused.

before printing i convert the document to the printer color profile, but printing from affinity photo produces poor results and when printing from the printer software i still don't get the image i look on the screen.

What should i do to get a printed photo that is similar to the one i look on the screen?

what should be the color profile when i open a jpg  file from my camera? (nikon d3300)

what should be the color profile when developing a raw image file?

thank you all,

Giorgos

You might want to "soft proof" your photo before printing. That allows you to make the photo appear on-screen as it will look when printed on your printer. If you don't like how it looks you can then make adjustments to it until it looks right, then print it. These Affinity videos should help: Soft Proofing and Printing on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well for overall consistency here the easiest for you might be to use overall the sRGB profile at least for JPGs, as far as I recall it's usually also the default setup for Nikon DSLRs if you didn't changed that to AdobeRGB (which has a wider color gamut). - The color space setting is most important for JPG images. Whatever color space setting you choose in the camera will be applied to the JPGs that come out of the camera. The color space setting matters less if you have your camera set to shoot in RAW format. It doesn’t have any effect on the RAW file image data itself, but when the camera saves a RAW file it also saves an embedded JPG version that’s used as the image preview. So for RAW files the color space setting does affect only that embedded preview image but not the RAW image data itself.

Related to printing, the Canon printer drivers default setup (if not changed/altered) takes it's Canon driver software supplied printer profile, which works together with the OS default screen sRGB color space and maps this one into the printer colors (CMYK).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2