chall3ng3r

Affinity Designer - High CPU Usage When Idle

Hello,

I'm using latest stable version of AD, and while I minimize and work on my projects in Unity, AD take lots of CPU. See attached screenshot of the task manager. There are only couple of docs open in it, and app was minimized.

Kindly look into this issue, as AD keeps my CPU at 70c temperature and fan on high speed until I close AD.

Screenshot_3.png

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the late reply, was busy with projects :)

And your question, no. Only couple of files, with some high-res images, and one doc with 3 Art Boards for different modes of the app I was working on.

I just opened same files again while writing this post, after opening the files, AD doesn't use much CPU when minimized, but when I just selected some items from doc with 3 Art Boards, and deselected, now CPU is usage of AD is ~18% constantly and I can hear CPU fan at medium speed. Switching back to other doc set the CPU usage back to 0%.

There is definitely some bug here, as I've now seen some other users also posted regarding idle CPU usage.

Let me know if you need more feedback.

I also have this problem. Opening multiple documents, make some editing, and Affinity photo CPU usage is at 60-70% when idle.

Same here on Windows 10 (and a kind of ancient PC). Six or so relatively simple documents open at the same time and CPU usage can climb to 80% or higher for the Affinity Designer process.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:41 AM, jonheal said:

Same here on Windows 10 (and a kind of ancient PC). Six or so relatively simple documents open at the same time and CPU usage can climb to 80% or higher for the Affinity Designer process.

I think I've noticed a strange "fix" for this. When the CPUs spike, cycling through all of the open documents (CTRL-Tab) seems to calm the CPUs down.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:50 PM, jonheal said:

I think I've noticed a strange "fix" for this. When the CPUs spike, cycling through all of the open documents (CTRL-Tab) seems to calm the CPUs down.

I can confirm this works. I got large documents open, about 6 of which one with 34 artboards, gigabyte file size. Cycling through works. Pity though as this probably stayed on all night, drawing lots and lots of power (now in a data center it does not really matter a lot, but still...)

On 5/21/2018 at 6:50 PM, jonheal said:

This is a serious issue - my laptop keeps shutting down due to overheating.   

It has never happened before, and I'm a new Affinity Designer user, so decided to check if there was a connection between the two.

CPU overall running at 100%,  Designer consuming all spare cycles (79%+ when I last checked) at  IDLE after working with it.

Above ctrl+tab tip works.

I'm liking the product so far, but I was even starting to suspect my lappy was up for replacement until I investigated.  

Thank you in advance for a quick fix. (please!)

Just caught this from task manager *after* my machine recovered from hibernation caused by overheating again.

Note, Designer was open - but in the background -  and I was actually doing something else at the time when it shutdown.

More info

7 VERY basic 64px*64px vector images open at once, with one to two object images in each.  Gradient fill on most.  Really nothing extraordinary.

taskmanager.png.ad2a66d78d6629bf9367374cddd90e25.png

After tabbing around (same images open, Designer now in the foreground ) everything returns as you would expect : 

task-aftertabbing.png.b767f6ce34e33a60d1ec1707ab7d3d54.png

Whoever gets assigned this bug, I just want them to know, the tabbing between images really does work.  It is reproducible.

I just replicated this behavior once again after an untimely shutdown with designer running at 70%+ again.  Changing image tabs returned CPU to normal.

I won't post again unless more information is requested.

I am completely unrelated to Serif in any way possible, so this is a mere personal curiosity (maybe to try to set some stats from my self, in case the issue triggers more in some machines than others), but I wonder if you would be willing to share here what machine do you have (mostly, CPU), and OS version (and maybe if clean install or  that free update over win 7, tho I guess that has nothing to do). Again, I'm just stupidly curious, that's all.  :)

I have a feeling they will terminate the bug no matter what, but again, is just curiosity. I am doing that case, more or less, 8 new files, 64px, in tabs, with a polygon and a gradient applied. Tried as shapes, and later converted to curves (ctrl + return). But the CPUs keep idle at zero or almost.  That means absolutely nothing, as first, I'm loading an old version of AD, and also, as this is Windows 7 (aero reduced to its minimal expression), and the machine is so old that could not even have the CPU feature that might be being called and causing the bug (this is just an arcane 1st gen i7 860, 8gb ram and gtx 275. ). IE, surely a totally unaffected case. Also, my machine never throttles, for whatever the reason is that, I dunno, not even in 3D heavy tasks (modeling and doing crazily heavy realistic renders in memory and cpu usage, leaving  the machine at its minimum) unless it is games of the FPS kind (I play rarely, eventually, but in those cases the PC serves as a heater, if not better, and makes the sound of a jet taking off. During hours non stop. But it has not done a hard reset or switch off for this reason....yet, in 9 years.  I've seen tons of machines doing so, though.  )

Graphic artist and tech professional specialized in several fields. 
Windows 7, old core i7 860 (2009), 8gb RAM, GTX 275. AD license.

4 hours ago, RedHotPawn.com said:

Changing image tabs returned CPU to normal.

It does indeed, for a while. However memory consumption does not, and it seems AD reaches high CPU/GPU figures faster and faster. I always have to restart AD from time to time to get things back to normal.

@SrPx: My machine is: i7-7700K, 4.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Intel Graphics 630 GPU, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB HD, dual monitors, Windows 10 Pro, etc.

It would be nice to hear a word from the guys at Serif about this.

@SrPx:

Win 10 Pro ( Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134 )

i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHZ 

4 Different Video Chip sets  : Intel 4000, Nvidia GeForce GT 630 M, 2 Displaylink adapters for two monitors.

16GB

I'm using AD quite intensively at the moment, so I'm going to try and nail the exact cause of this if I can.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, RedHotPawn.com said:

Whoever gets assigned this bug, I just want them to know, the tabbing between images really does work.  It is reproducible.

I just replicated this behavior once again after an untimely shutdown with designer running at 70%+ again.  Changing image tabs returned CPU to normal.

I won't post again unless more information is requested.

By "changing image tabs" do you mean changing between documents?