chall3ng3r

Affinity Designer - High CPU Usage When Idle

3 hours ago, PaulAffinity said:

Same sort of thing on AP too... I use all the main photo applications and AP is the ONLY one that makes my new SSD 16gb Ram 8 core i7 gen 8 switch the fan on within 20 seconds.. CPU and core processing peak up and even if I am doing simple processing..

Try the Publisher Public Beta that came out today and see if that fixes it for you (the fix was too risky for the 1.6.5 patch).

12 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Try the Publisher Public Beta that came out today and see if that fixes it for you (the fix was too risky for the 1.6.5 patch).

Bad week for the Affinity devs? This is the publisher beta.

pleasetestyourstuffguys.jpg

6 hours ago, daringdorobo said:

Bad week for the Affinity devs? This is the publisher beta.

Thanks for the screenshot. I wouldn't call it a bad week - the majority of people have managed to install the Publisher beta successfully, and the point of a beta is to test out these things before they are officially released. If you head over to the Publisher beta forum and post in there, we can help each other identify the cause of the problem. Thanks!

20 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi Mark,

I've downloaded the beta, but I'm short on time now. I'll certainly test it for CPU usage. Congrats to you and the team for the new product!!!

On 8/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Same Mark, no change, I tried WARP, my built in Radeon and intel default I believe on AP and APub.. 

Cheers

5 hours ago, PaulAffinity said:

Same Mark, no change, I tried WARP, my built in Radeon and intel default I believe on AP and APub.. 

Cheers

Interesting. It's obviously something different to what I thought originally. We'll have to try to reproduce this again here.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:55 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Interesting. It's obviously something different to what I thought originally. We'll have to try to reproduce this again here.

It would be interesting to ask some of the users here which CPU/GPU configurations they use. Maybe the problem gets worse with integrated Intel graphics. My main PC is an i7-7700K with 16 GB RAM, GPU with on-board Intel HD Graphics 630.

In another machine with a Xeon processor and NVidia graphics (don't have the exact specs now, it's from a client I work to) the problem is much less noticeable, if at all.

For me tabbing through opened documents didn't solve problem of high CPU usage but when I set zoom level on every document to 100% then CPU usage dropped to 0%.

For the love of all that is good - when will you fix this bug please?

I am working projects that sound similar to others - lots of text at different zoom levels.

I also find the "tab through each project" fix brings the cpu down but it's driving me nuts to have to keep doing that.

Are you still having problems replicating it?

53 minutes ago, devnop said:

For the love of all that is good - when will you fix this bug please?

I am working projects that sound similar to others - lots of text at different zoom levels.

I also find the "tab through each project" fix brings the cpu down but it's driving me nuts to have to keep doing that.

Are you still having problems replicating it?

Yes, we've still not replicated it internally. What are your system specs? Can you provide a video of the app + task manager, and then showing the tab through documents to bring CPU usage down please?

Hi Mark,

I have attached two videos:

i) High CPU tabbing - I paused clicking through the tabs to show that you really do have to click all of them. Each tab is consuming like 10% cpu until it gets focus.

ii) Steps to replicate - this one I launch affinity and load 10 copies of the attached afdesign file. Affinity pegs the cpu as soon as I select something. This is 100% replicable.

Notes

a) it seems to happen on focus changes e.g. app switching, virtual desktop switching etc. as soon as affinity gets focus - boom - it's off until you focus each tab.

b) I also notice that when I focus a tab, affinity often pans zoomed in documents to a corner. It may be a separate bug but it's part of the oddities happening when affinity gets focus.

System specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    24.0 GB

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Name    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Anything else?

high-cpu-tabbing.xesc

asset - font-awesome.afdesign

steps to replicae.xesc

15 hours ago, devnop said:

Hi Mark,

I have attached two videos:

i) High CPU tabbing - I paused clicking through the tabs to show that you really do have to click all of them. Each tab is consuming like 10% cpu until it gets focus.

ii) Steps to replicate - this one I launch affinity and load 10 copies of the attached afdesign file. Affinity pegs the cpu as soon as I select something. This is 100% replicable.

Notes

a) it seems to happen on focus changes e.g. app switching, virtual desktop switching etc. as soon as affinity gets focus - boom - it's off until you focus each tab.

b) I also notice that when I focus a tab, affinity often pans zoomed in documents to a corner. It may be a separate bug but it's part of the oddities happening when affinity gets focus.

System specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    24.0 GB

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Name    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Anything else?

high-cpu-tabbing.xesc

asset - font-awesome.afdesign

steps to replicae.xesc

Wonderful! Thanks for those steps devnop - I've recreated it with these and have passed it on to development!

3 hours ago, PaulAffinity said:

Will the team also check, see if that is the same in Affinity Photo? Assume the basic architecture is the same?

Cheers, P

I've been investigating this issue this morning, and I believe it's caused by a combination of having snapping enabled, and opening multiple documents at once. So it is possible that Photo will be affected. 

7 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've been investigating this issue this morning, and I believe it's caused by a combination of having snapping enabled, and opening multiple documents at once. So it is possible that Photo will be affected. 

I'm glad to know you were finally able to reproduce it!

Well done @devnop, excellent news - very pleased to hear that this has been reproduced.

I worked around the issue by getting an OSX copy too, which doesn't appear to have this problem.  No idea how similar the codebase is for different platforms, but I thought Id throw it out there just in case.