You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure what happened, but when I bought the software after having the trial I opened it and white in the program is replaced by light pink. I've looked up the issue and couldn't find anything like this problem. I did see that it could have something to do with monitor color calibration, however I have a three monitor set up and all three show the issue. I tried exporting a quick drawing with white squares and the exported png is perfectly normal, whites were white! I don't know if it's a simple fix or not, but I'd really like to be able to use the software, I really enjoy it.

Please, if someone can help me I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

jytr.png

Additionally to what Lee D said, check also the default white color value setting for new documents. AD for example, in my case here always defaults to a slightly light gray instead of complete white in sRGB mode, thus if you forget to alter this and just start to draw with that default setting you don't get a complete white color.

farbauswahl.jpg.56c1541a1ea1eb5fb0920400dc92885b.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

When I'm on the color palette like you have pictured there what is supposed to be white is pink, there is no white. The software for some reason thinks white is pink. Even when I start a new document, and ive done nothing the page is pink. I'll post a picture when im off work. I have tried messing with color profiles in the preferences and it doesn't help. 

Pink? Oh that sounds strange, did you removed/deinstalled the trial version before installing and using the bought one?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I didn't, if I remember correctly it prompts you to buy the full version after the trial is done. I pretty sure that's what I did. Here are some snips of what I see and also of the color management settings. Everything is set to default as far as I can tell. But, with this wouldn't it change the profile for the whole display not just the program. I don't and never had any issues with white being pink on my laptop, so I don't see how this could be the issue.  

pink=white.PNG

pink=white 2.PNG

pink=white 3.PNG

2 minutes ago, SipyCup17 said:

Picture of the preferences...

That is not the same thing as the color profile of the document. In Affinity Designer, use File > Document Setup > Color tab to see that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This somehow reminds me to this thread here: Color profile changing to yellow  Though as far I understood your initial post, you didn't had those problems with the tryout app when used first (?).

32 minutes ago, SipyCup17 said:

Yeah I don't see anything on there that is the same as my issue. Is it possible to uninstall the software and reinstall without having to purchase it again? 

Yes, but exactly how you do that depends on how you purchased/installed it in the first place.

But before you do that, I wonder if "resetting" the software would help. If you hold the ctrl key down (and keep it down) while launching the application you'll get a Clear User Data dialog. I'm not sure exactly what options in there might be applicable for this situation, but if you're considering a full reinstallation it might not hurt to reset everything. A user who's been here longer than I might have more ideas, or one of the Serif staff.

You can also search these forums for Clear User Data and see what has been recommended in the past.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/26/2018 at 12:21 AM, v_kyr said:

This somehow reminds me to this thread here: Color profile changing to yellow ...

On 1/26/2018 at 10:33 PM, SipyCup17 said:

Yeah I don't see anything on there that is the same as my issue...

Although it may not sound the same, I suspect it's a similar issue (I.E. The problem is due to an issue with your monitor ICC/ICM colour profile). 

When white is showing as yellow it's due to the blue channel being mapped short (I.E. Instead of the blue channel reaching 255, it only reaches say 220, therefore not enough blue gives it the yellow cast).  With your issue, it seems the same issue just with the green channel being mapped short instead (not enough green gives it the magenta cast).

Try the following:

1) Go to Affinity > Edit > Preferences > Colour, and set the settings to the same as the below screenshot.  Your settings are showing '2060W3' for the RGB profile, which looks like it's possibly an AOC monitor colour profile instead of a standard document profile as it should be.

001.png.c70358a11323495415aef7375b8c4b89.png

2) Go to Windows Control Panel > Colour Management > Devices tab, and set it to use the generic 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' ICM colour profile as the default profile for your monitor (as per the steps in the below screenshot).

002.thumb.png.15e1ebadb8d4b1834bdf406a5259e58b.png

3) Close/reopen Affinity.  Create a new blank document ensuring that the document colour profile is set to 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'.

003.png.b45b3d320f51efdcea5684b42650fd7b.png

If the new document now opens OK without a colour cast, then this would indicate a problem with your monitor's colour profile.  In which case, you may be able to see if your monitor manufacturer has drivers on their website that contain a different ICM profile that you can try, or maybe see if you still have the discs that came with the monitor and get them from that, however these will possibly be the same as the ones you're already using.  If you know someone with a monitor hardware calibrator, you could also try creating a custom monitor profile with that and using that profile in Windows Colour Management.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply to this post, things got busy and it slipped my mind. Thank you for the very detailed solution which did fix the problem!!! However I changed one thing. At first I tried it the exact way you had it , but it did not work. Then I realized you show it set to display 1 in the color management settings. I'm not sure if this effects things or not, but I have my 2nd monitor (and yes it is an AOC) set to use as my main display  in display settings. So I changed display 1 to display 2, followed everything else exactly and it worked! So i don't know if I got lucky or if that was the issue. Either way, thank you for the help! I really appreciate it!

• 8 months later...

I had a similar problem. I'm using Affinity Designer customer beta 1.7.0.4 on an iMac. When I selected a text background color by picking a swatch that appeared to be white, it showed up on my monitor as a cream color. After reading the above detailed suggestions (thanks!), most of my settings were the same as the above screen captures. However, I clicked on the menu item File and then selected Document Setup. The first item, Type, was set to Print and in the image above it showed as Web. So I changed mine to Web. That seemed to do the trick. 

There's another factor here also. I found that the layer I thought was on top, wasn't. That wouldn't affect the background color, but it did affect whether or not the white background color "blotted out" the portion of the element beneath it. Straightening that out helped in another instance.

Edited by zenmom
Thought of something else that was relevant.

• 4 years later...
On 1/27/2018 at 10:09 AM, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but exactly how you do that depends on how you purchased/installed it in the first place.

But before you do that, I wonder if "resetting" the software would help. If you hold the ctrl key down (and keep it down) while launching the application you'll get a Clear User Data dialog. I'm not sure exactly what options in there might be applicable for this situation, but if you're considering a full reinstallation it might not hurt to reset everything. A user who's been here longer than I might have more ideas, or one of the Serif staff.

You can also search these forums for Clear User Data and see what has been recommended in the past.

Thanks very quick and easy fix to a white page not being white, love it.