You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP - how to replace black with a different color? Color replacement brush doesn't work

Hey,

anybody now how to exchange a color with another one? The color replacement brush seem to work only for colors. I can't replace black with a color for example.

I have a complicated grid that is black and should go dark blue. So masks are very complicated here. I know that there is a simple replace color by function in Ps. I need something like that in AP too. Is  there a way?

It also depends on if the grid is on it's own pixel layer, or instead part of a whole image here etc.

black_grid.jpg.f538f7f697362ccf7aa15f6c29d0a6fe.jpg

You can try the selective color adjustment, set to black tones and adjust ZMY...

sel_color.jpg.1897e3ed9e5f3bf04dde1a380e70512d.jpg

...or just use the color fill tool, zoom in and apply the blue color on the grid...

set_color.jpg.3b513199f48b3ae7225a3a976bf852d4.jpg

...or if the grid is on it's own layer you can use a recolor adjustment too...

recolor_adjust.jpg.1605a3308a17e28f217e2c23fe793e38.jpg

However, there are generally several possible ways to recolor here dependent on your grid and image.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for your help.

it's one picture. A foto with a small grid on top. I just need to replace this one color. That's why masks and stuff would be very complicated.

The fill tool is a nice idea, but it's not wokring in this case because I have small breaks in it. This is really something very simple in PS were you can just replace a specific color. Is there really no way do do this in AP?

Make a new grid in Blue exactly the same size of the old Black grid and place it on top of the old grid

Or upload the picture if you want more practical answers without the guesswork

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi pixelworker,

actually it's quite simple,"as long as you have a picture in black & white".

1. You take the copy of the original image and convert it into a mask.

2. Then assign the mask to the original image and the black parts are transparent.  

3. Now you put a color layer in the desired color into the background and you're done!

I quickly made a video of it, see attachment

grid_recolouring.gif

grid_recolouring.mp4

4 hours ago, ChristAlix said:

Hi pixelworker,

actually it's quite simple,"as long as you have a picture in black & white".

1. You take the copy of the original image and convert it into a mask.

2. Then assign the mask to the original image and the black parts are transparent.  

3. Now you put a color layer in the desired color into the background and you're done!

Won't this make any non-white area of the image partially transparent, and this partially effected by the blue coloration?

29 minutes ago, shojtsy said:

Won't this make any non-white area of the image partially transparent, and this partially effected by the blue coloration?

Hi, Shojtsy,

you are right, the entire Grayscale range except pure White is affected.

Sorry, I had also overlooked that "Pixelworker" didn't want to use a Mask at all.

Another and perhaps more elegant option in this case would be to use the "Gradient Map" filter.

This filter is given very little attention, but it has it in itself!
It can be used to assign different Grayscale nuances a specific Color or to wrap a Color Image into Grayscale Image.

Here's the quick one, a screen video of me: grid_recolouring_gradient.mp4

grid_recolouring_gradient.thumb.gif.3725463b582953a8a50c79dfd9d81f2e.gif

This will again recolor the whole image. Anything not completely white would take on a shade of blue. I think you misunderstand OP. He has an image with many colors, with a black grid on top, all within a single pixel layer. And would like to recolor the pixels of the black grid.

I'm sorry, but it's always complicated when people ask for solutions without giving a detailed description of the problems. 

In the beginning it was "I have a complicated grid that is black and should go dark blue." and later it was "it's one picture. A foto with a small grid on top.", what exactly now?! 

PS: It would be helpful to know such information about the beginning of the topic and best with a picture or a section of it.