You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think the most poignant question would be whats the maximum you are willing to spend?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank u for the replies.  Windows I think and 6-700 would be ok.  Strictly amature editing for personal pleasure.  Using 3 yr old toshiba 17” with 1600 x 900 display that went south.  Thinking dell or HP 15 to 17 display, or whatever.  Corel user but like AF much better overall.

VBCTV.  thanks for your suggestion.  MSSTORE has a 13” on sale.  Is this the unit you use?  I’m concerned about the screen size,    

Going down to 15.6 was a compromise and 13 seems extreme.  I’ll keep checking MSSTORE.  

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Dubar’s ipad,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

A quad-core system (Intel Core i5 or i7) with (ideally) 16 Mb RAM and an SSD is enough to work comfortably without issues.

Regarding screen size that's up to you but i think that a 13 inch screen is quite small to be productive using programs with several panels/controls. Even a 15 inch screen is somewhat small but since i'm used to larger screens sizes i'm a little biased.

If you want to buy a notebook, first and foremost, make yourself clear where and for what you wants to use it. Basically, notebooks are mobile devices with batteries that you can use independently of the mains. That's why you have to make compromises: computing technology, input devices and screen form a unit in which there is one without the other. As individual as a desktop PC you can not configure a notebook so. But it brings with it a whole range of advantages that you would not want to miss even in a stationary operation: Except for the power cable, there are no cables and therefore no cable mess on and under the desk. It can also be used temporarily without major relocation work on the kitchen table instead of in the office or stowed away in a drawer. If such a quasi-stationary operation in the foreground, you should take a closer look at devices with 15.6 or 17.3-inch screen, which offer a lot of screen.

Since the screen size affects the device dimensions and the associated weight, it's no fun to bring such a big and heavy device to work in the café, library or lecture several times a week: it only fits into large bags or rucksacks and you wear it at least two pounds around. This usually adds the power adapter, if you want to get along not only a few hours, but a whole working day without a socket - for long battery life, large notebooks are indeed not trimmed.

If a notebook is actually used a lot on the go, then you should rather resort to a device of the 13.3 to 14 inch category. It's not just the advertising campaign for ultrabooks launched by Intel's marketing department that has done the most in recent years: Current devices usually weigh between one and one and a half kilos and easily last for eight hours without a power supply - front-runners more than twice as long, In other words, light cross-country skiers do not come with a big umbrella.

Other display and thus device sizes only last a niche existence. Screen diagonals of more than 18 inches, many manufacturer offered a few years ago, are almost completely extinct - they were too bulky and heavy. Even 17.3-inchers are now rather rare; they are far from being in as many variants as 15.6 incher. The same is true below for laptops with 12.5 inches or less; super-small devices are trimmed in every respect at a very small price - with more disadvantages.

The above quote mostly resembles nowadays overall marketing way in the notebook/laptop segment. - Another point are service and quality aka consumer vs business built devices etc., since there is also a lot of crap available on the market, especially those over cheap offers here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...