You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a windows 10 pro machine, fresh install and my PHOTO is lagging in performance. When drawing with the paint brush is really jerky and you cannot create a smooth stroke.

It the program seems to lock up for 5 seconds and then start working again.

I had Windows 7 pro and PHOTO seemed to work flawless , but not now. It even takes 8 seconds longer to load.

I have using solid state drives, 32GB ram i73930K, GTX 980.

Should be working with out issue with this setup and i haven't even tried anything hard with it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO ? 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

You could check on background processes, virus scanning, the notorious windows 10 updates. Try monitoring with Task Manager expanded or process monitor. On a system like that it should have no problem so maybe something is interfering.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

nothing interfering in the back ground...first thing in checked.

ALL OTHER SOFTWARE runs perfect...just AFFINITY SOFTWARE, even Designer is lagging..

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

5a6788a201154_ScreenShot2018-01-23at19_08_26.png.6115d9cbaffa5fcbcdeb756653598bee.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just read this and I think some if not all can be applied to most apps.

1. Brush's spacing: Sometimes the brush that you are using has a very small spacing (1% for example) - this is unnecessary for digital painting and can cause the brush to lag. To solve this problem, increase the brush spacing to about 7% or more depending on the brush. This will make the brush faster while keeping the smoothness of the stroke.

2. Window's pointer device: Windows 8 and 10 have their "flick" feature turned on by default. Basically the system knows when you are using a pointer device (wacom tablets in this case) and turns on the flick when you use these devices. The flicks are not bad, as they can help to make certain tasks faster, such as flick to copy and flick to paste. However, it will also make your stroke slower since the system will have to check whether you are trying to do a flick first. To fix this problem, open control panel -> pen and input control and turns off all the flicks, as well as the "hold to right click" function.

3. DPI of the file: Most of the time, if you are doing digital painting without an intention to print out, there's no need to paint at 300 DPI. Instead, stick to 72 to 150 DPI. This is good enough for digital devices. If you feel like printing out then you can always opt to up the DPI later. Another trick for digital painters is to paint the roughs in 72 DPI, then bump it up to 300 DPI later when you start doing the details.

A system with a Core i7 with 32 Gigs of RAM and SSD should absolutely be able to run smoothly with documents much, much larger than those with the suggested limitations above. I am in no way a Windows expert, but I'd say there's definitely something going on, since powerful machines like yours are in no way pushed to their limits with some simple brushwork. Reset Affinity Photo/Designer. If this doesn't help, wipe them from your hard drive and install them again. Check if other applications also respond slowly. If they do, it's not an Affinity issue.

This is definatlely a AFFINITY issue..NO problems with any other software.

Uninstalled reinstalled., new GFX Drivers you name it...Still slow as hell. Worked perfect in WIndows 7...Windows 10 is supposed to be faster ..

ANYTHING FROM AFFINITY people?

I am not overly happy with the time it takes to get an answer from AFFINITY People. 

If it continues..will get rid of them all , sell the books and resubscribe to ADOBE.

Gary

16 hours ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Check if other applications also respond slowly. If they do, it's not an Affinity issue

18 hours ago, thegary said:

ALL OTHER SOFTWARE runs perfect...just AFFINITY SOFTWARE, even Designer is lagging..

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

Hi Gary,

Take a look at this forum post, do you have any of these other apps installed that we know can cause issues with Affinity. Have you tried doing a clean boot in Windows, again to check if any other windows processes are causing issues.

Hello Lee,

Thank you for your reply. I am not runnig another of that software. In fact it does it after a clean install as well. 

Nothing running in back ground causing anything. This is a new problem with Windows 10, never happened in Windows 7 pro.

But it is stopping me from using the software.

Clean boot didn't seem to help. NO OTHER SOFTWARE IS AFFECTED! Just PHOTO and Designer, but designer starts lagging when you add multiple items. It then locks for 5 secs and then starts again. Never used to do this.

Its not the computer, as two programs from the same company are experiencing the same issue.

Is there libraries that are missing, drivers?

Something very much a miss here.

So here is something i just tried...Opened up, photoshop, illustrator, after effects and Premiere and my 3d software LIGHTWAVE.

Go to photo shop draws smooth no lag with any brush.

Closed photo shop , opened AFFINITY PHOTO.  Draws chopped and locks up time to time with ANY BRUSH.

Closed all programs. Reopen AFFINITY PHOTO , exact same problem. Draws very chopped, no lines are smooth, if you draw at a normal sketching speed, it will then lock up, NO RESPONSE, title bars turn white, then it comes back to life 2-5 secs later. But still not drawing smooth.

I have done clean boots, uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried with no imported setting or brushes. Installed the newest GFX drivers. You name it. Haven't even tried the tablet, scared to. Doesn't work with mouse.

Designer is getting the same lockup problem and easily lags with few objects. NEVER DID THIS BEFORE. Whats going on?

Feel like there are libraries or drivers that only AFFINITY uses that are not working correctly.

Gary

So i tried AFFINTIY photo on a friends slow old mac. WHY IS THE MAC VERSION SO MUCH SMOOTHER!

The mac is half the power of my machine and yet runs 1000% better.

There seems to be something a miss with the WINDOWS version of this product!

Please help, i am about to go back to Film contract work and want this working, if not its back to ADOBE. Need something reliable for the next year of work.

Gary

@thegary, have you tried any of the resets @firstdefence mentioned in this earlier reply? If not, perhaps try them, but note that they return various things to factory defaults so you should first export any affected items you have customized so you can import them after the reset. See the Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video tutorial for more about that.

If that doesn't help, more complete ways of resetting the app are available if you hold down the Control key while starting it. A window will appear offering a number of reset options you can try. A comprehensive list of what they are & what they reset can be found in this post by @Leigh. (This post was for Macs but most of it except the paths applies to Windows resets as well.) Note that you should also export your custom settings before using these options.

I suggest starting off by only resetting the brushes & testing using just the defaults before reimporting any custom ones you have added.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

@thegary, have you tried any of the resets @firstdefence mentioned in this earlier reply? If not, perhaps try them, but note that they return various things to factory defaults so you should first export any affected items you have customized so you can import them after the reset. See the Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video tutorial for more about that.

If that doesn't help, more complete ways of resetting the app are available if you hold down the Control key while starting it. A window will appear offering a number of reset options you can try. A comprehensive list of what they are & what they reset can be found in this post by @Leigh. (This post was for Macs but most of it except the paths applies to Windows resets as well.) Note that you should also export your custom settings before using these options.

I suggest starting off by only resetting the brushes & testing using just the defaults before reimporting any custom ones you have added.

Hello  R C-R,

Thank you for the great explanation! I just reset it all on both programs. That seems to have fixed the lag.

Will add things back a bit a time and see if something starts to slow it down. I can then report back what may be the issue.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! The answer i was waiting for!

Gary

9 minutes ago, Leigh said:

@R C-R I've just updated that post to include the Windows path too :) 

Slightly OT, I don’t think you need to guess about custom macros any more! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)