You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity

I have a Question and I am not shure if this is more a request or stupidity on my hand. But I also read the feature request smoth curves/simplyfy curves and this might be the same issue in Affinity Designer. The problem I have is with the Divide Funktion. To illustrate the problem I made these pictures. As you can see in Step 2 the devided shapes are pretty clean if you use this funktion on two circles. But doing the same thing on the already devided shapes using the third one it starts to get messy. not only are there a lot of nodes on the curves that where intended to create but also a lot of unwanted shapes are created. This causes two issues.

1. Deleting the unwanted curves creates problems when combining the needed ones because there are gaps created

2. it also happenes that outlines are created inside of curves that are hard to get ride of because just deleting nodes can change the shape a lot.

So the Question is if there is a way to avoid this issue or if this might be something for the Bugfix/Feature request section.  I migrated from Corel and Shaping there is handled a little different. But from what I have seen in tutorial vidios of AI and Corel this seems to work better there.

Still would like to say I enjoy working with AD and AP and also love your verry active Forum support which I considder verry Valuble :)

Greetings

Peet@MD

Step 1.PNG

Step 3.PNG

Step2.PNG

Using.PNG

• Staff

Hi Peet@MD,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a known issue that's already logged to be looked at. There's already plans to improve/rewrite the boolean operations code but since this is not something easy to accomplish it may take a while until we get there. Bear with us while we work on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here. Actually only logged in now to report this, but found this thread.

Using the Divide operation on objects other than rectangles with sharp edges makes the divided objects distorted. Similar to what expanding curved strokes does - which I reported here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/49004-designer-expand-stroke-issue/

Some screenshots attached, in Outline mode to visualize it better. Two basic objects. Before and after.

1.PNG

2.PNG

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, rober_medeiros said:

is there any fix for this already?

No.

The best workaround within Designer I've figured out so far is:
Never divide more that two items at a time.
You  may need to duplicate each path first.
See also my

But the best workaround overall – for me at least – is to copy the paths that I need to divide to a temporary Illustrator CS5 window – as long as it still works on El Capitan – and perform boolean operations there with a single click within a few seconds, then copy back. It's all PDF via clipboard, so you may want to remove the clipping paths first when copying back and forth.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 1/23/2018 at 11:02 AM, MEB said:

it may take a while until we get there. Bear with us while we work on it.

Um, what's three years between friends… :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2