I was unaware of this issue and have been working on college assignments in Affinity Designer up until now. The inability to export as an Illustrator file has caused me to lose very valuable time and I may even have to go back and recreate all of my work in a different software now. This is a very major drawback of Designer and it has left me very unsatisfied with the product. For this drawback alone, I would not recommend Affinity Designer to any other serious graphic designers.

Can a member of staff please address this and let us know if it is something that is begin worked on?

@ImageK, I speak as a retired university teacher in writing this. My subject was nothing to do with graphic design though. I have spent many hours designing assessments not to be equivocal in interpretation.

Did your coursework assignment specify that work must be submitted in AI (or strict AI-compatible) format? If so then, yes, you will have to re-do it. If they make no such specification, then you have reasonable grounds for submitting your work in pdf or svg  format. What is it that they are assessing? Is it the finished design? In which case pdf should be OK. If they require to see your working (Layer structure etc), then you must ensure that your output does so. Many have commented that exporting or importing  pdf/svg reproduced the overall design, but may mangle the layer structure. In such a case you need to bite the AI bullet.

You will also need to be prepared to argue your case with your assessors.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I would really like for this feature to be implemented, as when designing logos for clients through online platforms, as part of the handover process it is required to send them the logo in .ai format.

5 hours ago, Jayden Brand said:

I would really like for this feature to be implemented, as when designing logos for clients through online platforms, as part of the handover process it is required to send them the logo in .ai format.

This feature could be so useful, but sadly TBH I wouldn't hold my breath. Serif and the AD team haven't given any clues that I am aware of regarding this feature's completion.