You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to combine multiple text frames.

Finding I occasionally run into situations where upon importing or copy/pasting some artwork from another app (Comic Life, OmniGraffle, Illustrator, Preview/PDF, etc) I run into situations where what was once a continuous flow of text has been broken down into individual text frames. Sometimes this division is based on single lines, other times individual characters. Having the ability to select all of the related text frames and combine them into a new text frame would be really helpful. Of course determining what order the frames go in is a little complicated, I wonder if a 'best guess' based on the reading order of the document (ie: top down, left to right for western languages) would give a 'good enough' result in most circumstances with the ability to quickly copy/paste move text around in the combined frame after allowing users to fix any errors that may have crept in.

This feature will be introduced in Affinity Publisher.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 3 weeks later...
On 13. 2. 2018 at 2:52 AM, Jan Gaare said:

wtf have i bought designer to design my books, and to now know that there is a publisher.... ???? this sucks

That's why a trial version is available to test product before you buy it.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, Julio Alejandro said:

Hello

Can I do it in publisher? how?

serif.com

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:09 PM, Julio Alejandro said:

Hello

Can I do it in publisher? how?

16 minutes ago, konstantnnn said:

serif.com

Try affinity.help instead!

Affinity Publisher Help: Linking text frames

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think this is not about linking text frames, but combining/grouping like the option (group lines of text into text frames) while opening PDF in APu.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Since this seems to be the most recent open thread for this question according to Google, I am wondering as well.

When I paste text frames with multiple lines from Inkscape into Affinity Designer, they come in as individual lines of text, each on it's own text layer.

What I want (and I think what others are asking about as well) is to put these individual text blocks back together into a single block of editable text.

If there were a "merge layers" option on text layers, that would do it. But there isn't

A "combine text blocks" command would work too. Or even "create new text layer from selected"

I get that determining the order in which to combine these could be an issue. If they are all stacked up nicely like they are when they get pasted in from Inkscape, it should be pretty straightforward, but if they are scattered around the page it could be more ambiguous.

Still, I'd prefer to have a single editable text block with all the text in it, even with the words out of order, than to have to manually copy / paste many individual lines of text into a new block. Especially since it'd be fairly easy to undo the combine operation, quickly re-arrange the text layers' positions to get the order right, then re-combine.

I know you can link text frames in Publisher, but this is not linking, it is combining many into one. And anyway, that's Publisher and I'm asking about Designer.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, jimdoria said:

A "combine text blocks" command would work too.

Yes, Xara has this option when importing PDF. You can select multiple text blocks and merge them. Selecting order is important, too.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2021 at 1:57 AM, jimdoria said:

Since this seems to be the most recent open thread for this question according to Google, I am wondering as well.

When I paste text frames with multiple lines from Inkscape into Affinity Designer, they come in as individual lines of text, each on it's own text layer.

What I want (and I think what others are asking about as well) is to put these individual text blocks back together into a single block of editable text.

If there were a "merge layers" option on text layers, that would do it. But there isn't

A "combine text blocks" command would work too. Or even "create new text layer from selected"

I get that determining the order in which to combine these could be an issue. If they are all stacked up nicely like they are when they get pasted in from Inkscape, it should be pretty straightforward, but if they are scattered around the page it could be more ambiguous.

Still, I'd prefer to have a single editable text block with all the text in it, even with the words out of order, than to have to manually copy / paste many individual lines of text into a new block. Especially since it'd be fairly easy to undo the combine operation, quickly re-arrange the text layers' positions to get the order right, then re-combine.

I know you can link text frames in Publisher, but this is not linking, it is combining many into one. And anyway, that's Publisher and I'm asking about Designer.

Thanks!

Well said and I can plus 1 this comment. Any news if there might be a solution or update coming?

• 3 months later...

I have to agree that this would be helpful for compatibility. I think that some software thinks (in the clipboard) in SVG, which for some very strange reason doesn't support paragraph text (as if this is a some fancy new concept). Ah well, could we get the combine text fields (paragraph and artistic) into a text field and break lines into separate lines, as feature requests? The break apart is nice if you grab a list of items and after you paste them in, break apart and place each one in it's own space. There are work-around's so these would be work-a-bit-faster features.

I can see why you'd want this, we've all had to deal with PDFs that would import like this, but it's a messy feature because the results won't be perfect.

To me, this would be an ideal scenario for a free script. Select all the text frames you want to combine and the script would do it the best it could. It wouldn't be perfect but at least then all the text would be in a single frame which you could reformat. Serif has stated they're working on scripting support so when that's released someday we can write a script to do this.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 7/25/2021 at 7:57 PM, jimdoria said:

As I can recall my memory, Xara offers an option to select text frames and merge it by keeping the order of selection.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got Publisher 2 as a replacement for Page Plus which I have used for many years. I was dismayed to find there is no file conversion facility.  I followed instructions to convert my docs into PDFs but when I open them in Publisher each line of text is in a separate frame. It seems that there is no way to merge frames into one with continuous text. Please advise if there is a way to do this that I have missed.  If there isn't then the failure of the designers to care for past Serif users and help them to transition is a ridiculous error!!

Edited by lockjaf1
mis-spelling

• 2 months later...

I spent a lot of time searching for a merge function for frame text. I cannot find it to my surprise (even notepad on windows can do it). For instance I have a lot of trouble with importing pdf's because of this. 

If such a feature does not exist, it would be elegant if one of the moderators could confirm that. Saves a lot of frustration and I can stop searching.

I love affinity, but sometimes ...

45 minutes ago, Leo1 said:

. I cannot find it to my surprise (even notepad on windows can do it)

Notepad doesn't have anything like frame text, so I'm not sure what you mean, there. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, thanks for your reply, always helping, much appreciated! Explanation on point 4.

Wauw, wauw, wauw issue solved. If I am not mistaken, pdf import (2.03 see 1.) solved the not grouped lines of text issue (2.03 see 2; solution see 3), cut and past of ungrouped text via clipboard is now also solved (2.03) and a blocking issue for not installing the 2.03 upgrade (has been solved in 2.04). Thanks affinity team, I am impressed and very much helped.

If I saw it wrong, then mea culpa. Background info:

1. ?New? tick boxes

image.png.19bb1cd4e3cb8756c472dc8b402073c3.png

2. Not gouped text from 2.0:

image.png.e0f4232fcda532b2a64fe9434d242e66.png

3. Grouped text from 2.04

image.png.4cdbce4c6e97e635ca54ce8d5fb72222.png

4. Explanation for Walt

If you have not grouped text like in point two, it can be solved via copy and past in Notepad: select and copy the ungrouped lines and past them in notepad. This morning I tested this with affinity and it worked. Maybe I did something wrong, but the issue is solved. Thanks for asking.

1 hour ago, Leo1 said:

it can be solved via copy and past in Notepad:

This way you can lost all local formating (bold, italic...).