Hi

I'm trying to set Affinity Photo as an external editor from within IrfanView but I can't find the program file(s). Where is it stored? I've looked in all the obvious places [C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)] but can't find any Affinity (or Serif) folder anywhere.

When I search in This PC I find an Affinity folder in C:\ProgramData but this seems to be invisible from within File Explorer. Search results also show another Affinity folder in C:\Users\My name\AppData\Local\Packages\... but again, AppData seems to be invisible from within File Explorer.

Can anyone advise please? I'm a recent Apple Mac convert so am new to Windows 10. I have the Fall Creators Update installed and version 1.6.2.97 of Affinity Photo.

Thanks.

All software bought via the Microsoft Store is deliberately hidden - it's a feature!  You can find the location by running it and then using the Task Manager and selecting details - if it's not shown by default you can right click in the column headings area and select it.  It probably won't help you though - another feature of MS Store purchases seems to be that you can't pass parameters to them.  AP will probably open OK but it won't go on to open the image.  This issue has been raised before and it was suggested that people should get a refund from the MS Store and then repurchase it from the Affinity store.  If that's not possible, and you're desperate to use AP as an external editor you can copy the hidden folder structure to a "normal" location and then point to that - it's crude, but it works!

<edit>

It turns out I was too optimistic - even if you provide the correct path, AP doesn't start!  It did when I tried it a few weeks ago, but it looks like MS have "fixed" it. 

AP user, running Win10

Thank you both for your replies. Lesson learned. No refund is possible from the Microsoft Store:

"Some items are not eligible for return. Unless otherwise provided by a particular product offer, all purchases of these types of products are final and non-refundable and you will not have a right of withdrawal for these purchases:

• digital apps, games, in-app content and subscriptions, music, movies, TV shows, and associated content;"

It's a pity Serif use this channel to sell their software.

12 hours ago, Cuchillo said:

It's a pity Serif use this channel to sell their software.

As I understand it, Serif started selling the Affinity apps through the Windows Store because some Windows users asked for that, I think because they wanted the same kind of hassle-free, 'no product key needed' buying experience Mac users get when buying apps from the Mac App Store.

Apparently, no one realized the sandboxing requirement would cause problems but hopefully that can be resolved.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I'm an old-fashioned (ex) Mac user so have never bought anything from the Mac App Store either, so the concept of sandboxing is new to me.

Anyway, I have now bought and installed a non-sandboxed version of Affinity Photo and my question is the same: where is the programme located? Presumably within C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\... where next?

7 minutes ago, Cuchillo said:

Anyway, I have now bought and installed a non-sandboxed version of Affinity Photo and my question is the same: where is the programme located?

Are you asking about the app itself or the various per user support files? For the latter see this post by @DWright.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

8 hours ago, Cuchillo said:

I'm an old-fashioned (ex) Mac user so have never bought anything from the Mac App Store either, so the concept of sandboxing is new to me.

Anyway, I have now bought and installed a non-sandboxed version of Affinity Photo and my question is the same: where is the programme located? Presumably within C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\... where next?

You've got the right (default) location - the full pathname is thus C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe

AP user, running Win10

On 23/01/2018 at 11:54 AM, R C-R said:

As I understand it, Serif started selling the Affinity apps through the Windows Store because some Windows users asked for that, I think because they wanted the same kind of hassle-free, 'no product key needed' buying experience Mac users get when buying apps from the Mac App Store.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never regarded it as a major hassle to have to copy and paste a product key from my customer account. It pales into insignificance when compared to transcribing such details from a paper invoice or the back of a DVD case!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

28 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It pales into insignificance when compared to transcribing such details from a paper invoice or the back of a DVD case!

Absolutely!  I still have nightmares about having to read and type!

AP user, running Win10

51 minutes ago, IanSG said:

You've got the right (default) location - the full pathname is thus C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe

Sorry but I don't see the application in this location. When I search in File Explorer it is shown at C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.exe (screenshot 1) but when I actually look in this location it's not visible (screenshot 2).

5a6af1fcda65d_Photoapp.thumb.png.8ac49b21ac68b0f7e7b022d32f02cce6.png5a6af20e1c595_Affinityfolder.png.36c827f7415afa8c289ddaf97b4fac79.png

Your screenshot shows the Affinity folder tree expanded to reveal the 'Affinity Photo' and 'Common' subfolders, but you need to expand the first of those to see more.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

If the app is within the Affinity Photo folder wouldn't the search results show C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe rather than C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.exe which is what it actually shows i.e. one folder up? Anyway, I can't see the app within the Affinity Photo folder either (screenshot 3).

5a6af92672a1f_Affinityfolder2.png.2d14334e759a1647c53aeafcaef2b1e9.png

this is a problem. either Affinity needs to release a browser update, soonest, or they have to make a work around to use a external browser. this is a killer for a potentially great app.

Right click the programs icon shortcut and select Open File Location would save a lot of hassle in the future. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

15 hours ago, Kalides said:

this is a problem. either Affinity needs to release a browser update, soonest, or they have to make a work around to use a external browser. this is a killer for a potentially great app.

This has nothing to do with Serif - Microsoft are deliberately hiding all the apps bought via the MS Store.  

AP user, running Win10