You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I'm trying to set Affinity Photo as an external editor from within IrfanView but I can't find the program file(s). Where is it stored? I've looked in all the obvious places [C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)] but can't find any Affinity (or Serif) folder anywhere.

When I search in This PC I find an Affinity folder in C:\ProgramData but this seems to be invisible from within File Explorer. Search results also show another Affinity folder in C:\Users\My name\AppData\Local\Packages\... but again, AppData seems to be invisible from within File Explorer.

Can anyone advise please? I'm a recent Apple Mac convert so am new to Windows 10. I have the Fall Creators Update installed and version 1.6.2.97 of Affinity Photo.

Thanks.

All software bought via the Microsoft Store is deliberately hidden - it's a feature!  You can find the location by running it and then using the Task Manager and selecting details - if it's not shown by default you can right click in the column headings area and select it.  It probably won't help you though - another feature of MS Store purchases seems to be that you can't pass parameters to them.  AP will probably open OK but it won't go on to open the image.  This issue has been raised before and it was suggested that people should get a refund from the MS Store and then repurchase it from the Affinity store.  If that's not possible, and you're desperate to use AP as an external editor you can copy the hidden folder structure to a "normal" location and then point to that - it's crude, but it works!

<edit>

It turns out I was too optimistic - even if you provide the correct path, AP doesn't start!  It did when I tried it a few weeks ago, but it looks like MS have "fixed" it. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Thank you both for your replies. Lesson learned. No refund is possible from the Microsoft Store:

"Some items are not eligible for return. Unless otherwise provided by a particular product offer, all purchases of these types of products are final and non-refundable and you will not have a right of withdrawal for these purchases:

• digital apps, games, in-app content and subscriptions, music, movies, TV shows, and associated content;"

It's a pity Serif use this channel to sell their software.

12 hours ago, Cuchillo said:

It's a pity Serif use this channel to sell their software.

As I understand it, Serif started selling the Affinity apps through the Windows Store because some Windows users asked for that, I think because they wanted the same kind of hassle-free, 'no product key needed' buying experience Mac users get when buying apps from the Mac App Store.

Apparently, no one realized the sandboxing requirement would cause problems but hopefully that can be resolved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm an old-fashioned (ex) Mac user so have never bought anything from the Mac App Store either, so the concept of sandboxing is new to me.

Anyway, I have now bought and installed a non-sandboxed version of Affinity Photo and my question is the same: where is the programme located? Presumably within C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\... where next?

7 minutes ago, Cuchillo said:

Anyway, I have now bought and installed a non-sandboxed version of Affinity Photo and my question is the same: where is the programme located?

Are you asking about the app itself or the various per user support files? For the latter see this post by @DWright.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, Cuchillo said:

I'm an old-fashioned (ex) Mac user so have never bought anything from the Mac App Store either, so the concept of sandboxing is new to me.

Anyway, I have now bought and installed a non-sandboxed version of Affinity Photo and my question is the same: where is the programme located? Presumably within C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\... where next?

You've got the right (default) location - the full pathname is thus C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe

On 23/01/2018 at 11:54 AM, R C-R said:

As I understand it, Serif started selling the Affinity apps through the Windows Store because some Windows users asked for that, I think because they wanted the same kind of hassle-free, 'no product key needed' buying experience Mac users get when buying apps from the Mac App Store.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never regarded it as a major hassle to have to copy and paste a product key from my customer account. It pales into insignificance when compared to transcribing such details from a paper invoice or the back of a DVD case!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

28 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It pales into insignificance when compared to transcribing such details from a paper invoice or the back of a DVD case!

Absolutely!  I still have nightmares about having to read and type!

51 minutes ago, IanSG said:

You've got the right (default) location - the full pathname is thus C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe

Sorry but I don't see the application in this location. When I search in File Explorer it is shown at C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.exe (screenshot 1) but when I actually look in this location it's not visible (screenshot 2).

5a6af1fcda65d_Photoapp.thumb.png.8ac49b21ac68b0f7e7b022d32f02cce6.png5a6af20e1c595_Affinityfolder.png.36c827f7415afa8c289ddaf97b4fac79.png

Your screenshot shows the Affinity folder tree expanded to reveal the 'Affinity Photo' and 'Common' subfolders, but you need to expand the first of those to see more.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If the app is within the Affinity Photo folder wouldn't the search results show C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe rather than C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.exe which is what it actually shows i.e. one folder up? Anyway, I can't see the app within the Affinity Photo folder either (screenshot 3).

5a6af92672a1f_Affinityfolder2.png.2d14334e759a1647c53aeafcaef2b1e9.png

• 3 months later...

Right click the programs icon shortcut and select Open File Location would save a lot of hassle in the future. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, Kalides said:

this is a problem. either Affinity needs to release a browser update, soonest, or they have to make a work around to use a external browser. this is a killer for a potentially great app.

This has nothing to do with Serif - Microsoft are deliberately hiding all the apps bought via the MS Store.  

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, Fingerpainter said:

I cannot remove files. A simple (to some) explanation is not enough for me to carry out, much less understand. So can I just delete the file and write over it.?

I suspect your post is not related to this topic. Please explain more about your problem, and what you're trying to remove.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, Fingerpainter said:

I cannot remove files. A simple (to some) explanation is not enough for me to carry out, much less understand. So can I just delete the file and write over it.?

Correct, Affinity applications cannot remove or delete files, they leave that to the Operating System. You can use the same name (and file extension) to overwrite an existing file.

Note that a Photo document may have the same name Picture as a Designer or Publisher document but the file extensions are different, so Picture.afphoto is not going to overtire overwrite the Picture.afdesign file, you would need to use the OS for that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

overtire

Interesting auto"correction"?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1