mhaustria

Affinity Photo is getting slow after some hours

Hi everybody,

I do mostly portrait work on Affinity Photo working on 10 + Layers with live filters and so on.
MacBook Pro Touchbar - 16gb Ram - i7 working on the internal SSD - high Sierra and latest version of Affinity Photo.

Affinity is very quick, but after some hours it gets slower until the point I can't use the brushes without lagging.
After I close Affinity and start it again, everything is fine and works as expected - so not really an issue right now, but still annoying sometimes.
Is there a setting to let Affinity Photo clear caches or memory reservations?

thanks guys,

Markus

I dunno if it'd work to use an external utility to optimize memory usage. In MS Windows 7 (dunno if works in 10), I use DTaskManager (By Dimio), saves the day in  many cases, tho haven't gone through memory uses with Affinity (yet). Specially useful to avoid a total stall when the machine is literally stuck for memory reasons (my sympathy to all poor people like me with 8GB ;D  )

It'd be interesting to know, very, if there are leaks on memory or resources with Affinity's apps, it'd be quite important....

Edit: Ouch. Seems you are using a MacBook... I don't know about similar utilities in Mac world....

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Hi mhaustria,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Unfortunately due to the nature of Live Filters, they're very expensive in terms of performance. However it does sound as though there could be some sort of memory leak with some you are using.

Are you able to able to keep track of the edits you've done to an image to the point you find it's become very slow? Also if you could save and attach an example file after its gotten slow ensuring you have checked 'Save history with document' in the file menu. This will save the file with the edit history in allowing us to go back and forwards with your document history and replay it.

Thanks