You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving layers is difficult

Hi

I am evaluating the trial of designer (windows). i make mistakes all the time when i drag and drop layers up and down. they end beneath other layers! is it possible to turn the mouse into meaningful symbols when dragging and overall make it a bit more intuitive?

also the menu font is very small :(

Michelle

• Staff

Hi Michelle_5,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's already a blue line that appears when you drag layers in the Layers panel. It gives you a hint on where the layer you are dragging will be placed. Note that horizontal mouse/drag movements also change the location where the layer is placed. A full width hint line places the layer at the root level in the layers panel. a Smaller hint line may drop the layer as a sliding or as a child of another layer depending on how much you move/drag the mouse to the right. Check this video tutorial for more details: Affinity Designer - Layers Panel Drop Zones. Let me know if you still have issues placing the layers where you need.

@MEB I am running the Light UI Style in AD and I noticed that I am not able to see the difference clearly between the root level blue line and a child level blue line. 

In the Dark UI Style it is more obvious.  I tried adjusting my UI Gamma setting but it made little difference, but maybe I have something else not set correctly.  

Because there is very little contrast in the blue transparencies, it makes layer moving a bit of a challenge.  See my example below.

Is it possible for your team to experiment with these layer position signals to make it more obvious in the Light UI Style?  It might help some of those "Light side" users.;)

Thanks!

5a661add6c333_MovingLayersBlue.png.eefc835c692064448b810edc69327d0d.png